GWT: EPL - Matchweek 6

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I love Arteta, and the Arsenal, but the naivety and inexperience on how to operate the bench is showing
Europa, cup draws, is coming up, and squad rotation will be essential..it will take more than just pep talks to get wound up..
"now lezgo out there and ween this fogging game guys"
“Play with bee leaf and bassion and foggin addack them”

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If you were to tell me United were in 5th after 6 games after the Brentford game I would have laughed. Such a huge turnaround for them. Let’s hope this is actually them and not another long illusion.
Says much more about the quality of Brentford.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
They probably just overdribbled once they got to or around the box Arsenal. And they didn't do a good job of crossing or passing it early enough either. They did get it to and around the box with ease though which is good for them but the final decisions were pretty individualistic. If they fix that and also don't leave themselves as exposed to counters against a fast team then they're fine.

Also no way should Maguire be the starting CB for England over Stones or Dier or Coady. Not that any of those choices are particularly good but Maguire shouldn't even be on the plane. Knowing Southgate though he'll probably start both Maguire and Shaw.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also no way should Maguire be the starting CB for England over Stones or Dier or Coady. Not that any of those choices are particularly good but Maguire shouldn't even be on the plane. Knowing Southgate though he'll probably start both Maguire and Shaw.
Or (in no particular order) Tomori or Guehi or Gomez or White or Kilman or Chalobah

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ok going through the games yesterday I don't understand why Chelsea and United didn't even give a look at Ivan Toney. But I said that sometime during last season as well. Can't believe he hasn't been capped by England either. They've given caps to Bamford and Watkins but neither of them are as good.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ok going through the games yesterday I don't understand why Chelsea and United didn't even give a look at Ivan Toney. But I said that sometime during last season as well. Can't believe he hasn't been capped by England either. They've given caps to Bamford and Watkins but neither of them are as good.
LFC could certainly use Toney too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
LFC could certainly use Toney too.

Yeah but our lack of interest is way easier to understand. I'm not saying the team is being run poorly but a good comparison would be like ordering a beer and the waiter coming back with water and charging you the same as a beer.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah but our lack of interest is way easier to understand. I'm not saying the team is being run poorly but a good comparison would be like ordering a beer and the waiter coming back with water and charging you the same as a beer.
Water is the real adult beverage.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think it's fair to say that one wishes fouls like that would be called more consistently.

However Eriksen absolutely did not dive or trip. Not sure where some here are getting that from.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

There were a few whispers through the summer but nothing serious. Big year for Toney, if he can kick on this season he'll be in the shop window next summer.

He's going to have to have a monster few months to make the England squad though. Southgate loves his old reliables and IIRC England play only 2 more games before the WC.

But yeah, quality hat trick yesterday.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Fun fact, the last time United brought in an actual striker under the age of 30 was Lukaku 5 years ago.

Since then it’s been Ighalo, Cavani, and Ronaldo.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fun fact, the last time United brought in an actual striker under the age of 30 was Lukaku 5 years ago.

Since then it’s been Ighalo, Cavani, and Ronaldo.

Well you'll be signing whoever the Dutch top scorer is next summer. Probably Brobbey or Gakpo.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Or (in no particular order) Tomori or Guehi or Gomez or White or Kilman or Chalobah

My issue with White there is that he's being used as an RB so can't judge his form as a CB this season. Chalobah is not getting regular game time and I've seen attackers get in behind him a lot when he has. Gomez I feel is insulated a bit by the quality of the team he plays for and Timori is in Serie A.

If you're England with this much depth, you don't need to be selecting players playing out of position or out of form or in a lesser league or on the bench.

Sad we won't be getting 114 points this season but 111 does look better aesthetically

As much as I'd like to see Arsenal instead of Man City win the title this year, today exposed how vulnerable Arsenal is to a good counter. And they got away with it earlier against teams like Palace or Fulham but they likely will drop some points this year from that issue and you also have the occasional game you should win but don't due to a keeper stealing it or shooting being off and with that combined, I don't see them challenging this year unless City badly declines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad