GWT: EPL - Matchweek 6

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If the biggest complaint about a VAR decision is "it was a foul, but I'm not sure if it was a *clear and obvious* error" then VAR didn't do awful.

He clattered into the back of the player which caused a turnover and immediate scoring chance (and goal). That's pretty obviously a foul to me. I can understand the argument that VAR shouldn't get involved, although I disagree with it.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Thoughts

1) Great game by both sides. Despite the knee jerk reactions on here Arsenal played well in spells in each half

2) Jesus tied Varane & Martinez in knots. Saks had Malacia on toast.

3) Rashford had long spells of anonymity but still had 2 goals and an assist 😅

4) Maguire was terrifying when he came on. Which is worrying because..

5) Europa League starts Thursday and rotation is a must. Will those coming in display the same work ethic and desire as the players that have started the last 4 games?

6) Maguire aside, I've been really impressed by EtH's use of subs. He uses them early, he's not afraid the change the formation or get fresh legs on. One of my biggest criticisms of OGS was he didn't use the bench and he wouldn't make changes. His use of subs has given us control in the late stages of the Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal games.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think you have to stick with the call on the field there. There is certainly precedent for that.

Reactions: maclean

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
VAR just pointed out another example of Tierney's incompetence. It's unfathomable that he didn't see the infraction real time. Then proceeded to stare long and hard at the VAR screen like he was looking for a 2nd shooter.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
VAR just pointed out another example of Tierney's incompetence. It's unfathomable that he didn't see the infraction real time. Then proceeded to stare long and hard at the VAR screen like he was looking for a 2nd shooter.
Bad ref shouldn’t get big games. And now all the Arsenal fans are bringing up that the two refs they were used were Manc Operatives. Good job PGMOL.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It is within the VAR rules.

What about my post indicates I don't understand that? The fact is fouls like that are often let go, case in point this exact situation right now where the ref let it go. IMO it does not set a good precedent because it is not consistent, other situations like this have been let go. Also, Eriksen's a little bitch. Sorry, couldnt not put that in there ;)

But I'm not whining, it's just my opinion

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Bad ref shouldn’t get big games. And now all the Arsenal fans are bringing up that the two refs they were used were Manc Operatives. Good job PGMOL.
I'm finding it harder and harder to find a competent ref in this league. VAR is a great cop-out for incompetence.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
And the referee that refused to give Van Dijk a red card yesterday is also from Manchester. But you'd never mention that in such situations...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm finding it harder and harder to find a competent ref in this league. VAR is a great cop-out for incompetence.
I mean I think PL just has to start importing refs that are CL quality. for example, there was a very good ref from a think Romania last year that I noticed. And no disrespect to the Romanian league, but it ain’t the PL. they should be paying to bring those guys in. The other problem is that it’s very obvious that the PL refs have an agenda to botch VAR and it has been that way since it started. The PL is literally the only league that has this many issues with VAR. It’s intentional. But yeah for now you just have to keep the incompetent refs away from important games. It’s hard, but for the league with the most resources on the planet, you find a way to make it happen.

And the referee that refused to give Van Dijk a red card yesterday is also from Manchester. But you'd never mention that in such situations...
I literally mentioned yesterday, (and today) that I would not have argued if Virgil got a red.

But it’s your agenda to white knight for all these shitty refs, (which I also did yesterday) which here you go proving again.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Invincible no more.

Still top of the league
1662319331137.png

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I literally mentioned yesterday, (and today) that I would not have argued if Virgil got a red.

But it’s your agenda to white knight for all these shitty refs, (which I also did yesterday) which here you go proving again.
My point is that you for some reason only mention the referee is from Manchester if the call doesn't benefit Liverpool.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My point is that you for some reason only mention the referee is from Manchester if the call doesn't benefit Liverpool.
No. I call the ref from Manchester when they are from Manchester. Also don’t need to repeat myself if other people are bringing it up already. I said at the time that the call on that (and the disallowed goal) where questionable at best and would not have favored my team. I think that speaks louder.

Lol so grumpy.
My team is not good, I ran out of coffee, and I had to watch too many episodes The Indian Matchmaker with Mrs. Savant today. Yeah I’m grumpy. But I ain’t a liar.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you were to tell me United were in 5th after 6 games after the Brentford game I would have laughed. Such a huge turnaround for them. Let’s hope this is actually them and not another long illusion.
On the contrary. If you would have told me that ETH was going to throw Lindelof, Shaw, Maguire and Ronnie in the trash, I would not have been surprised that they went on a run. They have a ways to go but they are phasing out all their problem players.

Everton kind of did similar yesterday by keeping guys like Michael Keane, Coleman and Allan far away from the team. Dropping your worst and/or most tenured players has had a good effect. Who would have thought?

Meanwhile now it’s my team who are in trouble because they have to give minutes to washed Henderson and washed Milner but we don’t sign anyone. Milner yesterday looked like Gary Neville in his last game against I think West Brom, where he realized he was finished.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
On the contrary. If you would have told me that ETH was going to throw Shaw, Maguire and Ronnie in the trash, I would not have been surprised that they went on a run.
In all honesty Ronaldo has shown a ton in his limited time and has earned a start but Rashford’s movement is hard to replace as shown today. Malacia showed today exactly what I was worried about. Against top wingers, he’s going to get exposed (like most fullbacks). His positioning and decision making is questionable. I wouldn’t be upset to see him get a rest against Sociedad. Maguire on the other hand showed today he’s a liability. I can’t wait for Lindelof to be back so Maguire can be out of the 18.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Only 32 matchweeks to go! I know that the LFC fans weren’t posting the table every week in 19/20 like y’all are this year, but we are the insufferable ones.
I remember being 14 pts ahead in January and still feeling nervous about LFC not winning it.

In all honesty Ronaldo has shown a ton in his limited time and has earned a start but Rashford’s movement is hard to replace as shown today. Malacia showed today exactly what I was worried about. Against top wingers, he’s going to get exposed (like most fullbacks). His positioning and decision making is questionable. I wouldn’t be upset to see him get a rest against Sociedad. Maguire on the other hand showed today he’s a liability. I can’t wait for Lindelof to be back so Maguire can be out of the 18.
Ronaldo can be effective against team that park the bus. But when you play quick counter/high press game, he is a liability.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right I mean you can get away with Ronnie as a sub right now, but he isn’t a 90 min player anymore. Especially for what ETH wants to do. Malacia is still new to league, has work to do, but at least he is giving some athleticism there. Man Utd are on a run because the players that are on the field are the ones that should be. Not the ones because of the names on the back if their kits.

I remember being 14 pts ahead in January and still feeling nervous about LFC not winning it
I was nervous until Salah’s winner against Utd. after the pandemic hit at people were trying to get the league annulled was the only other time I was nervous.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Right I mean you can get away with Ronnie as a sub right now, but he isn’t a 90 min player anymore. Especially for what ETH wants to do. Malacia is still new to league, has work to do, but at least he is giving some athleticism there. Man Utd are on a run because the players that are on the field are the ones that should be. Not the ones because of the names on the back if their kits.

I was nervous until Salah’s winner against Utd. after the pandemic hit at people were trying to get the league annulled was the only other time I was nervous.

Right, and consider that Casemiro has yet to play......the turnabout has slowly begun.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right, and consider that Casemiro has yet to play......the turnabout has slowly begun.
Sure I mean they can’t be any worse than they have been. They will be competing for top four but a lot of teams will be. Utd probably need to be about 20 points better to be in line for top 4. That’s a lot of points.

City will be around 90. LFC will be 10-15 points worse (they are already minus 9 compared to last year btw) than they were last year. The London teams will be 80-70 point total. United will probably be 75-65. It’s going to be very competitive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad