GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
vivell is gone and nagelsmann wanted the job given to him straight away with no interviews so that door is shut

they’ll probably let poch have the next few but oh man the pressure is up. injuries can’t be an excuse even if the injured xi may be better than the one that played today.
I wouldnt be so sure. Not like their are many options for either party atm.

Really hard to complain about how LFC have started the season, but that draw week one keeps looking worse and worse
I mean given the context a point isnt bad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean given the context a point isnt bad.
that’s why hindsight is 20/20.

honestly it just reminds me of like 2017-2019 when LFC dropped stupid points to Everton and United because we showed them too much respect, solely because of the history of rivalry. Point away on MW1 (which is always a crapshoot) against a supposedly good team in context isn’t terrible but the reality is LFC should have put them to the sword

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Probably their worse match of the season so far, felt like Potterball basically.

Sanchez probably their MoTM lol, Disasi is too slow for the Prem, he'll get caught many many more times this season if he's starting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If Bournemouth had like 10% more quality they would have taken all three points.
Well yea probably, but you can say the same for Chelsea with the chances they missed. The problem is that the game was that close to begin with, and really a draw was fair.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don't know the wording of the rule, but I don't see how that was offside for Martinelli's goal. Gabriel was making a backwards pass, the Everton player deflected it forward, so now Nketiah is offside?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He got a yellow for dissent if you didn't realize that. They are much stricter on that.
I did realize it. Not to go all Savant, but as long as saying anything to the ref is a yellow card, that's chill. It isn't and it wasn't in the game. Now, I don't know what he said exactly, but he didn't have enough time to say anything that bad.

I don't know the wording of the rule, but I don't see how that was offside for Martinelli's goal. Gabriel was making a backwards pass, the Everton player deflected it forward, so now Nketiah is offside?
The argument is that it wasn't an intentional play on the ball by the Everton player. I think it's a pretty terrible call though.

Reactions: KJS14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I did realize it. Not to go all Savant, but as long as saying anything to the ref is a yellow card, that's chill. It isn't and it wasn't in the game. Now, I don't know what he said exactly, but he didn't have enough time to say anything that bad.
The Newcastle players (in particular) were also very spicy yesterday

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This reffing team has had a shocking day today. Misunderstanding the offside rule and then not giving a clear yellow card challenge as a foul at all. I mean there was a VAR check as to whether it should be red (it shouldn't) and the ref didn't even give it as a foul.

Awful.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This reffing team has had a shocking day today. Misunderstanding the offside rule and then not giving a clear yellow card challenge as a foul at all. I mean there was a VAR check as to whether it should be red (it shouldn't) and the ref didn't even give it as a foul.

Awful.

When was the offside misunderstanding?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well yea probably, but you can say the same for Chelsea with the chances they missed. The problem is that the game was that close to begin with, and really a draw was fair.
Yeah, but Chelsea has a billion pound squad. I don’t think “quality” in and of itself was the issue. Fully granted on another day maybe they score three.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That's not remotely how "deliberate play" is every called for offside and very clearly was a block/deflection.
In what world is kicking your foot out to hit the ball not deliberate? The rules specifically say that it doesn't have to go where you want it to go to be deliberate

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This is testing the limits of 'will really argue about anything no matter how stupid it is' because that call is obvious to 99% of the world.

Reactions: Pink Mist

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
In what world is kicking your foot out to hit the ball not deliberate? The rules specifically say that it doesn't have to go where you want it to go to be deliberate
The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:

• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air
Specifically points 1, 2, and 4 are relevant here.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This is testing the limits of 'will really argue about anything no matter how stupid it is' because that call is obvious to 99% of the world.
Sorry, I should have looked up the ref's entire personal life like you lot.

Specifically points 1, 2, and 4 are relevant here.
Fair enough. I read the part where it said the intent doesn't matter or whatever and went from there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad