GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Watching a club play like this style is so fun, within 7 seconds:

Udogie forces a turnover, recovered by Hojbjerg who passes to Perisic, who gets it to Richarlison who sets up Kulusevski for the game winner.

• Love
Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Recruitment has been bad too for sure but they shouldn't be this bad.
I dunno.
Like I said, they overpaid for a bunch of overheyped young players.
I never expected them to be top-4 this season (though I guess it's top-5 now, with the new CL format from next season).
I don't think they're underachieving that much.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's because Chelsea have no identity and it's normal when you have a 100% turnover of the team in a span of a year. They got too many players of similar profiles and age. They are building a team like you would in video games, I mean really they got 4 DMs? 2 of them at record beaking fees...

All their players are signed longterm so maybe they can 'afford' to throw away another season but they will need to have some consistency in their recruitement instead of getting every players available.

Last edited:

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Let me preface this by saying I am loving watching the mess unfold there.

But, I don't know what Poch is supposed to do. The recruitment is so bananas there that all he can do is try to implement a system that he thinks is pragmatic and get through a rebuild. It's probably doomed to fail. I feel like right now Chelsea is a poison chalice and without a real change in how the recruitment works they will continue to be what they currently are regardless of who the manager is.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
At a minimum, Poch could utilitize the system that he did in pre-season. He'd argue he is, but playing a natural CB at LB, instead of a natural LB completely neuters our attacking strategy from pre-season. At this point, the current system isn't working. Take Disasi out, move Colwill to LCB, and Chilwell to LB. Play one of the wingers on the bench up top with Sterling. At least attempt to do what we did in pre-season.

Our main problem, we lack players with the ability to create and finish in the final 3rd, at least to do it consistently, and when the opposition sits back. It's why we are able to technically create chances and shots, but when you look at each individual shot/chance, the timing is off or the final touch is off.

It's kind of pathetic that our offense is probably solely dependent on a guy that has never played a minute outside of pre-season.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Let me preface this by saying I am loving watching the mess unfold there.

But, I don't know what Poch is supposed to do. The recruitment is so bananas there that all he can do is try to implement a system that he thinks is pragmatic and get through a rebuild. It's probably doomed to fail. I feel like right now Chelsea is a poison chalice and without a real change in how the recruitment works they will continue to be what they currently are regardless of who the manager is.
Pochettino should absolutely not be without blame. Once again, they supposedly had the easiest first five games in the league. And they only managed to get five points. Their squad is absolutely not that bad, even with all the injuries (which Pochettino may very well be causing himself with his sessions).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Poch has to make it to at least November.... There s no way they can go and fire another manager early in the season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Barring a complete disaster, I imagine he'll at least get some time with Nkunku healthy. It's pathetic that our attack is basically dependent on him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The idea that you'd throw Poch out at this point is pretty absurd.

Most of their buys this summer were to build a long term project. If you're not going to give him time to do that, why in the world would you hire him to begin with? I could see it if say, someone better was around to hire to do everything, but at this point in the season, let it ride.

The trouble is going to be what happens if they don't make CL or they don't show improvement. At some point I guess they will have to pull the plug, but it's pretty ridiculous.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So have we moved on from Sterling being amazing yet? Or still gonna give it a few more games?
He is not the one. England even dropped him.

Doku looked good... kind of mesmerized the defender watching his legs stepping like that repeatedly :laugh: ((on his goal)). Big improvement from the first game.

Reactions: BillPrep

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Any news on Caicedo's injury?

Sucks to see him hurt after the lacklustre start. He was an iron man during his time at Brighton.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't think Sterling is amazing, but he's a pro, who knows what he is, and can help a team. But City are not stupid and would not have sold him if he was still really valuable.
He's good but he's not the player I'd pick to have for a club in Chelsea's specific situation.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No, we'd obviously f*** it up even worse. Probably throw 80M at Toney, and when he doesn't work, throw 150M at Ferguson.

Yeah no, that's what I meant, the ban would help them.

Hopefully it's not long term. I hate Chelsea but I want Caicedo to do well.

They called it a "knock", so doesn't sound entirely serious. I liked the player but I feel like we would've been a better place for him to develop, so it's hard to want him to do well with Chelsea.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Pochettino should absolutely not be without blame. Once again, they supposedly had the easiest first five games in the league. And they only managed to get five points. Their squad is absolutely not that bad, even with all the injuries (which Pochettino may very well be causing himself with his sessions).
Sure, he deserves some blame for the results. But it's beyond injuries. My point was more that the club lacks cohesiveness and that is due to the owners haphazard transfer policy and staffing upheaval

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad