GWT: EPL - Matchweek 3

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Convenient of the clip to leave out what he actually got the yellow for, which was kicking the ball away.
Are we saying that this is worse.

I’m not saying you are wrong, I’m asking if you think, in a vacuum, that one action is worse than the other. Human being gets frustrated call gets missed and has a lousy reaction.

This is the second week in a row for Howe looking disgraceful and I write this thinking he's a brilliant manager. The problem is that these past two results have to be brutal, he was a coward at the Etihad and didn't do enough to keep his club engaged in this one. I only watched the first half live before returning to DVR later on, but I knew that KFC could've come back when Newcastle didn't score another after the VvD booking. I wasn't expecting any sort of win, but Liverpool absolutely has the potential to score a fluke one to tie the match and they were able to get more somehow...

Also, who on here had Gordon being a better signing at this very early point of the season over Mac Allister? The latter looks lost and behind the play constantly. Not Havertz's level behind the play bad, but still not getting involved anywhere except negatively.
Liverpool are kind of like one of those weird Ferguson sides after Keane left; but just had a ton of game changing strikers. Liverpool probably have the best forward group in the league; but the rest of the team are just so flawed. But goals win games so you never know

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Convenient of the clip to leave out what he actually got the yellow for, which was kicking the ball away.
Not convenient because we all know what happened, he kicked the ball in frustration. The point is that he was fooled and nobody cried about that. We would rather book the reaction that the dirty foul which is very wrong.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not convenient because we all know what happened, he kicked the ball in frustration. The point is that he was fooled and nobody cried about that. We would rather book the reaction that the dirty foul which is very wrong.
Rashford got a very similar yellow on Saturday.

Two Forest players ran into each other and the ref called Rashford for a foul because he was standing near them. He got mad and kicked the ball and got a yellow.

Yes it’s dumb, but there’s not a conspiracy against Liverpool because of this yellow.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yes it’s dumb, but there’s not a conspiracy against Liverpool because of this yellow.
Never claimed there is a conspiracy or that everybody is against LFC. I just find it dumb that it is normal to get fouled hard but still get a yellow to kick the ball in frustration. If anything both should be carded. BTW I like that they are now are carding people that make the gesture of a card to the ref or that the player kick the ball to prevent another team quick attack, that's very annoying and glad they are taking a stance against it. So it's nothing against the nature of the call but maybe the refering should also improve their standard about preventing hard foul.

Btw, I just realised that it was not even called a foul on Gordon, which is even more a joke. I got 5 months injury for a similar type of play when I played competitive soccer. Dirty push on my back in frustration because we were winning the game and I was protecting the ball by the sideline.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The league was very clear they were calling time wasting, any talk back to the referee from anyone but the captain, and kicking/throwing the ball away in frustration yellows this year.

Everyone knew it. It’s been called in every single match for every team I’ve watched this season. There’s no legit complaints to be had.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Never claimed there is a conspiracy or that everybody is against LFC. I just find it dumb that it is normal to get fouled hard but still get a yellow to kick the ball in frustration. If anything both should be carded. BTW I like that they are now are carding people that make the gesture of a card to the ref or that the player kick the ball to prevent another team quick attack, that's very annoying and glad they are taking a stance against it. So it's nothing against the nature of the call but maybe the refering should also improve their standard about preventing hard foul.

Btw, I just realised that it was not even called a foul on Gordon, which is even more a joke. I got 5 months injury for a similar type of play when I played competitive soccer. Dirty push on my back in frustration because we were winning the game and I was protecting the ball by the sideline.
The tweet you posted said "Only a Liverpool player could get a yellow card from this situation..." despite him doing exactly what a United player did 24 hours earlier and received the exact same punishment. There's also several others that have received the same thing this year, I just remembered the Rashford one because I had rolled my eyes when it happened.

It was a missed foul call against Gordon, that's it. Those happen multiple times per game. The ref also gave TAA a break a few minutes later when he didn't book him for an insanely obvious professional foul.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The league was very clear they were calling time wasting, any talk back to the referee from anyone but the captain, and kicking/throwing the ball away in frustration yellows this year.

Everyone knew it. It’s been called in every single match for every team I’ve watched this season. There’s no legit complaints to be had.
I mean, unless I am mistaken, non-captains aren’t supposed to gesture for cards and Joelinton did that at least twice. Gordon also kicked out a ball to interrupt LFC free kick. There is not consistency. That is the issue. Look at the Alexis “red card” last week. That same foul happened ay least a half dozen times that same weekend. The only think consistent is horrible officiating.

I understand that the refs want the players to be nicer to them because they are snowflakes, but the issue is they aren’t good at their job, and there is not appetite from the league to do anything about it. No one is using VAR right because no one wants to make their friends angry. And the solution of this is to be a robot. It’s ridiculous. It’s human nature to be upset after an awful call is missed and goes unpunished. Sports are emotional. Yeah Trent kicked out a ball but that’s a far cry from abusing an official. Game is gone if refs feel the need to give a yellow card every time they get butt hurt

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I mean, unless I am mistaken, non-captains aren’t supposed to gesture for cards and Joelinton did that at least twice. Gordon also kicked out a ball to interrupt LFC free kick. There is not consistency. That is the issue. Look at the Alexis “red card” last week. That same foul happened ay least a half dozen times that same weekend. The only think consistent is horrible officiating.

I understand that the refs want the players to be nicer to them because they are snowflakes, but the issue is they aren’t good at their job, and there is not appetite from the league to do anything about it. No one is using VAR right because no one wants to make their friends angry. And the solution of this is to be a robot. It’s ridiculous. It’s human nature to be upset after an awful call is missed and goes unpunished. Sports are emotional. Yeah Trent kicked out a ball but that’s a far cry from abusing an official. Game is gone if refs feel the need to give a yellow card every time they get butt hurt

There’s absolutely nothing that can be done to please the fans that are convinced the league is out to get them and rigged by their rivals. That is very true.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There’s absolutely nothing that can be done to please the fans that are convinced the league is out to get them and rigged by their rivals. That is very true.
Of course that is your takeaway from this….

I mean they can start by getting better refs in and not having the same refs run VAR. That is a very very easy first step here. One of the best refs in the world is from Romania. Bring in top refs from other leagues. Get an independent group to do VAR. Why is any of this outrageous? PL is arguably the best league in the world, but it is easily the league that is officiated most poorly. And their solution is to just protect people bad at their jobs and put more of their buddies from the old boys club in charge. Where are the lies here?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Liverpool having a brief spell of success completely rotted your brain.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool having a brief spell of success completely rotted your brain.
Maybe but I think it says more about the Arsenal rot that it only took y’all a second place finish with no trophies to get there. Bon voyage.

What is wrong with what I said about the officiating though? It’s not up to standard. It’s not consistent, and it could be better. If you think the officiating is good and consistent, please say so. If you want to defend the ref, then defend the ref instead of talking shit on a fan base you don’t like.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Maybe but I think it says more about the Arsenal rot that it only took y’all a second place finish with no trophies to get there. Bon voyage.

What is wrong with what I said about the officiating though? It’s not up to standard. It’s not consistent, and it could be better. If you think the officiating is good and consistent, please say so. If you want to defend the ref, then defend the ref instead of talking shit on a fan base you don’t like.
I don’t think every ref is out to get me.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Neither do I, but every ref makes bad calls. We can highlight bad calls. Interpret it how you want. If you disagree with a specific point I made, highlight it and make your case. This isn’t about fan bases. Not everything needs to be tribal. This is about consistent horrible officiating and the lack of appetite to do anything about it.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The tweet you posted said "Only a Liverpool player could get a yellow card from this situation..."
Not my tweet. I posted it for the clip of the foul which was clear as day.

Really? Why not for Joelinton?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This guy should learn the rules. It’s not an automatic red, it’s supposed to be a yellow for signaling for the card, although they’ve been sadly ignoring it a lot this year despite the supposed crackdown.
The point is that Joelinton did the gesture twice, in two different occasion, two yellows = red but yes he probably don't do it twice if he receives a first yellow. He also probably don't do 10 fouls after, which he did and never got cautioned.

There are a lot a snowball effect to these early yellow for dissent or frustration especially that early in games.

The up the standards. Not the first time in two weeks we have seen awful decisions and inconsistencies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If you want an explanation, my guess is he didn't get the first one because he was behind the ref and the ref didn't see him.

He likely didn't get the second one because the ref is in the process of handing out a red to VVD and then dealt with a ton of other crap so probably wasn't as worried about it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The point is that Joelinton did the gesture twice, in two different occasion, two yellows = red but yes he probably don't do it twice if he receives a first yellow. He also probably don't do 10 fouls after, which he did and never got cautioned.

There are a lot a snowball effect to these early yellow for dissent or frustration especially that early in games.

The up the standards. Not the first time in two weeks we have seen awful decisions and inconsistencies.
Yeah, like TAA should have been sent off but wasn't, even though Tomiyasu was sent off for less. But that doesn't mean that the refs are out to get me or that it's a conspiracy because a ref was born in Greater Manchester or that Liverpool can't sign players because Todd Boehly is bribing agents, or whatever other drivel we've seen spewed across this subforum.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, like TAA should have been sent off but wasn't, even though Tomiyasu was sent off for less. But that doesn't mean that the refs are out to get me or that it's a conspiracy because a ref was born in Greater Manchester or that Liverpool can't sign players because Todd Boehly is bribing agents, or whatever other drivel we've seen spewed across this subforum.
Again, I repeat if it was not clear the first time.
Consistency!! That's all we ask!! From Arsenal to LFC to Chelsea to any EPL club. Up the standards because it is not good.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Consistency!! That's all we ask!! From Arsenal to LFC to Chelsea to any EPL club. Up the standards because it is not good.
I think if you're wanting perfection from humans, you may want to give up sport.

Regardless, that's all well and good to want consistency. And it's all well and good to complain about the refs. Let me tell you, the Tomiyasu decision? Happy to complain about it. There's a difference between recognizing inconsistency and bringing up where a ref is born.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think if you're wanting perfection from humans, you may want to give up sport.

Regardless, that's all well and good to want consistency. And it's all well and good to complain about the refs. Let me tell you, the Tomiyasu decision? Happy to complain about it. There's a difference between recognizing inconsistency and bringing up where a ref is born.
They have monitors for god sake. I don't ask for perfection, I ask for better standards. Use them if they make a mistake like they did with Tomiyasu. I don't care where the referee are born or what they eat in the morning. It would be great to see the same rules applied for all clubs and players.

The look from me, seem like they will not use VAR for onfield decision unless it's a serious foul. I could be wrong but there seem to have less VAR reviews applied this year then they did in the past.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If you want an explanation, my guess is he didn't get the first one because he was behind the ref and the ref didn't see him.

He likely didn't get the second one because the ref is in the process of handing out a red to VVD and then dealt with a ton of other crap so probably wasn't as worried about it.
That is why you have 4 officials...

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

It is consistent. There are literally calls in every single game people don’t like. Every single game! guess what - all the calls you want, the opponents fans would feel are unfair if it’s switched. It’s how it goes.

The difference is that there’s a handful of posters here who swear the reasoning is something sinister. Even though it’s entirely detached with reality and just their personal feelings.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They have monitors for god sake. I don't ask for perfection, I ask for better standards. Use them if they make a mistake like they did with Tomiyasu. I don't care where the referee are born or what they eat in the morning. It would be great to see the same rules applied for all clubs and players.

The look from me, seem like they will not use VAR for onfield decision unless it's a serious foul. I could be wrong but there seem to have less VAR reviews applied this year then they did in the past.
Okay. So you want them to be reviewing every single second of the game? For any potential yellow card offense?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It is consistent. There are literally calls in every single game people don’t like. Every single game! guess what - all the calls you want, the opponents fans would feel are unfair if it’s switched. It’s how it goes.

The difference is that there’s a handful of posters here who swear the drive is something sinister. Even though it’s entirely detached with reality and just their personal feelings.
Just last week, they did not even reviewed the MacAllister or Tomiyasu. I am fine if they send the referee to watch the incident again and then adjust their decision. The officials are all friends and nobody challenge their decisions because it's disrespectful.

Okay. So you want them to be reviewing every single second of the game?
Yes. That's what VAR is supposed to do :laugh:. Only send the official to the monitor for major decisions. Like PK, goals, red card decision.

Yellow cards can also be signaled by assistant referee and 4th official too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad