GWT: EPL - Matchweek 3

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It is consistent. There are literally calls in every single game people don’t like. Every single game! guess what - all the calls you want, the opponents fans would feel are unfair if it’s switched. It’s how it goes.

The difference is that there’s a handful of posters here who swear the reasoning is something sinister. Even though it’s entirely detached with reality and just their personal feelings.
I am no Arsenal fan and the Tomiyasu red card should have been reviewed. Also I am not asking for the referee to make all perfect decisions but to be consistent. Many times, players have been gesturing cards to official or kicking the ball and have not been called. (Not just with LFC for all clubs). They simply don't apply the same rules accross all games.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Mind mentioning which other leagues review for yellow card offenses?
Where you got that? All officials can signal for yellow offense.

Just last week, they did not even reviewed the MacAllister or Tomiyasu. I am fine if they send the referee to watch the incident again and then adjust their decision. The officials are all friends and nobody challenge their decisions because it's disrespectful.

Yes. That's what VAR is supposed to do :laugh:. Only send the official to the monitor for major decisions. Like PK, goals, red card decision.

Yellow cards can also be signaled by assistant referee and 4th official too.

Mind mentioning which other leagues review for yellow card offenses?
Where did I mention review yellow cards with VAR?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I am no Arsenal fan and the Tomiyasu red card should have been reviewed. Also I am not asking for the referee to make all perfect decisions but to be consistent. Many times, players have been gesturing cards to official or kicking the ball and have not been called. (Not just with LFC for all clubs). They simply don't apply the same rules accross all games.

It’s a 2nd yellow. Which is why they didn’t review it. The only times they can use VAR are goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

The problem with getting a yellow early for time wasting is you’re playing with fire. And because they announced going into this season this would be a focus, you know they’re gonna have a quick trigger. Thats the goal. Get players to learn and adapt their behavior. They’ve been consistent with how quickly they’ll whistle you now

Would I be thrilled watching it happen to my team? No. But it’s not something everyone wasn’t warned about. It’s like any other type of violation now. Don’t do it, or don’t get caught. And when you’re a defender sitting on a yellow, you’re always at risk.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just last week, they did not even reviewed the MacAllister or Tomiyasu. I am fine if they send the referee to watch the incident again and then adjust their decision. The officials are all friends and nobody challenge their decisions because it's disrespectful.
The VAR official reviewed the MacAllister challenge and determined there had been no clear and obvious error by the official. Obviously PGMOL now believes that was an incorrect decision given the apology and the overturn of it after, but it 100% was reviewed.

Tomiyasu's situation was not eligible to be reviewed by VAR because it is not related to a direct red card, a goal, or a penalty. Yellow cards, even second yellows, are explicitly not with in the purview of VAR.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Where you got that? All officials can signal for yellow offense.

Where did I mention review yellow cards with VAR?
Okay, so you're saying they should have caught Joelinton with VAR but you don't want VAR to be used for yellow cards?

Please make up your mind.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This guy should learn the rules. It’s not an automatic red, it’s supposed to be a yellow for signaling for the card, although they’ve been sadly ignoring it a lot this year despite the supposed crackdown.
Two yellows = one red though

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, like TAA should have been sent off but wasn't, even though Tomiyasu was sent off for less. But that doesn't mean that the refs are out to get me or that it's a conspiracy because a ref was born in Greater Manchester or that Liverpool can't sign players because Todd Boehly is bribing agents, or whatever other drivel we've seen spewed across this subforum.
Just for the record, did any mention the refs birthplace this Matchweek besides you? And is it a lie that Todd increased his offer to/was offering the agent more money? Was it a lie that the agent used LFC in bad faith? Just fact checking.

Again, the issue here is are refs going to spend more time with a magnifying glass on players being petulant or players being shoved in the back? We saw what happened on Sunday. No reason to throw any other FUD in

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
1693337451064.png

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Just for the record, did any mention the refs birthplace this Matchweek besides you? And is it a lie that Todd increased his offer to/was offering the agent more money? Was it a lie that the agent used LFC in bad faith? Just fact checking
Oh if it wasn't this matchweek, it didn't happen. We can stop talking about the Mac Allister card, then. As for the rest, I refuse to rehash a conversation that has been had multiple times and has, in each instance, ended with you insisting that speculation is actually evidence. It's a shame this message board doesn't allow for 12(b)(6) motions.

For what it's worth, I want it on the record that I don't believe in refspiracies, I just think we've been screwed by the refs on some occasions. That said, find me a team that hasn't and you'll show me Man United.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Okay, so you're saying they should have caught Joelinton with VAR but you don't want VAR to be used for yellow cards?

Please make up your mind.
Never said that. I said that they missed Joelinton actions that warranted yellow cards and it's not just the main officials that can call these yellow cards. The lineman and even the 4th official can advise a referee for a missed yellow card action. Also, if they start calling these yellow card gesture, they have to be consistent through the whole game, again related to consistency in all their decisions not just about LFC.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Never said that. I said that they missed Joelinton actions that warranted yellow cards and it's not just the main officials that can call these yellow cards. The lineman and even the 4th official can advise a referee for a missed yellow card action. Also, if they start calling these yellow card gesture, they have to be consistent through the whole game, again related to consistency in all their decisions not just about LFC.
Okay. We discussed the Joelinton missed call, the TAA call, and the Tomiyasu calls. All of which are revolving around yellow card offenses. You asked for consistency regarding these calls, to which I responded that requesting perfection from humans is a fool's errand. You then said that is why they have monitors. I'm happy to hear what you meant by that statement if you did not mean that monitors should be used to ensure consistency around yellow card offenses, as would be facially apparent given the contours of the conversation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh if it wasn't this matchweek, it didn't happen. We can stop talking about the Mac Allister card, then. As for the rest, I refuse to rehash a conversation that has been had multiple times and has, in each instance, ended with you insisting that speculation is actually evidence. It's a shame this message board doesn't allow for 12(b)(6) motions.

For what it's worth, I want it on the record that I don't believe in refspiracies, I just think we've been screwed by the refs on some occasions. That said, find me a team that hasn't and you'll show me Man United.
If it wasn’t this Matchweek, then it’s not relevant to this Matchweek. Everyone here is just saying the refs have been consistently bad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How do we know refs have been consistently bad if we are only looking at this matchweek?
Because they were consistently bad this Matchweek. And you can check against previous matchweeks to reinforce additional data if you need to.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Because they were consistently bad this Matchweek. And you can check against previous matchweeks to reinforce additional data if you need to.
No, you very specifically said I can't check against previous matchweeks, because it is irrelevant. So you must show that across this matchweek, each ref was similarly bad. To that end, please show me where a yellow card was or was not issued for someone making a carding motion, other than Joelinton.

• Haha
Reactions: Savant

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Okay. We discussed the Joelinton missed call, the TAA call, and the Tomiyasu calls. All of which are revolving around yellow card offenses. You asked for consistency regarding these calls, to which I responded that requesting perfection from humans is a fool's errand. You then said that is why they have monitors. I'm happy to hear what you meant by that statement if you did not mean that monitors should be used to ensure consistency around yellow card offenses, as would be facially apparent given the contours of the conversation.
Let's go:
1 - Second yellow offense that lead to the dismission of a player (red card) that were wrongfully awarded should be reviewable offense. (Tomiyasu) - VAR action required
2 TAA if they deem that his 2nd foul warranted a yellow and potential red card it should be reviewable by VAR - VAR action required
3 - Joelinton action like his yellow card gesture if missed by the referee can be advised by other official for the offense and be awarded yellow card. No monitor required unless red card offense. No VAR action required unless for 2nd yellow card offense (red card)
4 - Very questionable red card offense like Mac Allister should be 100% reviewed by VAR. VAR action required.

That's it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Let's go:
1 - Second yellow offense that lead to the dismission of a player (red card) that were wrongfully awarded should be reviewable offense. (Tomiyasu) - VAR action required
2 TAA if they deem that his 2nd foul warranted a yellow and potential red card it should be reviewable by VAR - VAR action required
3 - Joelinton action like his yellow card gesture if missed by the referee can be advised by other official for the offense and be awarded yellow card. No monitor required unless red card offense. No VAR action required unless for 2nd yellow card offense (red card)
4 - Very questionable red card offense like Mac Allister should be 100% reviewed by VAR. VAR action required.

That's it.
1. isn't reviewable. Neither is 2. 3., if no one sees it, then what? 4. was reviewed and upheld.

Any other questions? The reason second yellows aren't reviewable is because first yellows aren't reviewable.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
1. isn't reviewable. Neither is 2. 3., if no one sees it, then what? 4. was reviewed and upheld.

Any other questions? The reason second yellows aren't reviewable is because first yellows aren't reviewable.
1, 2 and 3 should be reviewable.

4, the official was never sent to the monitor and the independant judge rescinded the suspension. Maybe VAR is very bad and not doing their job properly, just saying.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
1, 2 and 3 should be reviewable.

4, the official was never sent to the monitor and the independant judge rescinded the suspension. Maybe VAR is very bad and not doing their job properly, just saying.

So your stance is that a second yellow should be reviewable. Ok sure.

What about first yellows if a player later receives a second yellow in the game? Should they go back and make sure he super deserved both of them?

3. How is a single yellow card offense "reviewable" if the monitor shouldn't be used? The 4th official or one of the linesmen advising the main referee isn't review, that's just how refereeing works. There's no review, it's just a conversation. Obviously they didn't care very much.

4. It seems you don't understand how VAR actually works. VAR only sends the on field referee to the monitor if there is a "clear and obvious error". the VAR official reviewed the MacAlister red card and decided there was not a clear and obvious error and thus did not advise the on field official to go to the monitor. The official is never sent to the monitor to check up on his call and make sure it's right, he only goes when VAR feels it's obviously wrong.

Yes, that could change, but that would also mean dramatically more trips to the monitor and more delays to the game.

Reactions: bluesfan94

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, that could change, but that would also mean dramatically more trips to the monitor and more delays to the game.
VAR clearly did not do their job properly if they deemed that the Mac Allister was not an obvious error and not reviewable. The referee should have been sent to the monitor.

Also who cares about the delay. A red card offense and an error is more impactful to a game than a delay. Again, you guys are funny, all referee decisions are good and we all have to accept their incompetence. I will remember that next time you question a bad decision. Nobody should ever question on field decision and VAR then, they are the absolute truths, that's what I am getting from all of you.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So your stance is that a second yellow should be reviewable. Ok sure.

What about first yellows if a player later receives a second yellow in the game? Should they go back and make sure he super deserved both of them?

3. How is a single yellow card offense "reviewable" if the monitor shouldn't be used? The 4th official or one of the linesmen advising the main referee isn't review, that's just how refereeing works. There's no review, it's just a conversation. Obviously they didn't care very much.

4. It seems you don't understand how VAR actually works. VAR only sends the on field referee to the monitor if there is a "clear and obvious error". the VAR official reviewed the MacAlister red card and decided there was not a clear and obvious error and thus did not advise the on field official to go to the monitor. The official is never sent to the monitor to check up on his call and make sure it's right, he only goes when VAR feels it's obviously wrong.

Yeah, I can see why there is no provision for reviewing yellows, similar to how the NHL doesn't review minor penalties--not only are you opening up for 3-6 additional reviews per match, you are also opening up the possibility of reviewing non-yellow calls to determine whether they merit a yellow. That has potentially a huge disruption on game timings and flow of play. I can see an argument if said yellow is a second, but then you are making a semi-arbitrary exception in the rule--what if the yellow isn't a second but leads to a suspension through accrual, should that also be reviewed? Yellows can also (if infrequently) have fair play ramifications on standings or qualifications, how is it fair to review some (because they were a second) but not others? Etc, etc...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, I can see why there is no provision for reviewing yellows, similar to how the NHL doesn't review minor penalties--not only are you opening up for 3-6 additional reviews per match, you are also opening up the possibility of reviewing non-yellow calls to determine whether they merit a yellow. That has potentially a huge disruption on game timings and flow of play. I can see an argument if said yellow is a second, but then you are making a semi-arbitrary exception in the rule--what if the yellow isn't a second but leads to a suspension through accrual, should that also be reviewed? Yellows can also (if infrequently) have fair play ramifications on standings or qualifications, how is it fair to review some (because they were a second) but not others? Etc, etc...
The yellow card review should be done when it's an obvious error, like no contact at all, etc, not for every yellow card actions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad