GWT: EPL - Matchweek 18

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Six seconds is really short when you make a save, but yeah.
Although it's not formally stated in the rules, the common thing refs are told is 6 seconds from when the keeper recovers from the save/stands up to give them an appropriate amount of time. But even then, I'd guess that every game you see one of the keepers hold the ball for 10+ seconds after grabbing it at some point, especially if one team is in time wasting mode.

I just find it funny because it's just *never* called.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Although it's not formally stated in the rules, the common thing refs are told is 6 seconds from when the keeper recovers from the save/stands up to give them an appropriate amount of time. But even then, I'd guess that every game you see one of the keepers hold the ball for 10+ seconds after grabbing it at some point, especially if one team is in time wasting mode.

I just find it funny because it's just *never* called.
What I loved the most about the World Cup is that they always gave significant extra time. Like 7+ minutes. Even that is still very low in an average football game.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What I loved the most about the World Cup is that they always gave significant extra time. Like 7+ minutes. Even that is still very low in an average football game.
I don’t like it personally. There’s already way too much football in the calendar in terms of actual scheduled matches, making the games themselves longer to me seems like a recipe for more frequent unnecessary injuries caused by over-wear. Maybe it’s mitigated by five subs, so maybe I’m wrong! But making games functionally 20 minutes longer, to me, rings similar to adding umpteen new competitions such that players are basically never resting.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don’t like it personally. There’s already way too much football in the calendar in terms of actual scheduled matches, making the games themselves longer to me seems like a recipe for more frequent unnecessary injuries caused by over-wear. Maybe it’s mitigated by five subs, so maybe I’m wrong! But making games functionally 20 minutes longer, to me, rings similar to adding umpteen new competitions such that players are basically never resting.

I think they went overboard in the WC, but in general refs should be adding appropriate amounts of stoppage time on and/or be much more liberal with the YCs for blatant time wasting.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think they went overboard in the WC, but in general refs should be adding appropriate amounts of stoppage time on and/or be much more liberal with the YCs for blatant time wasting.
They did just that in the WC and people went bananas. Honestly thought really showed people will complain regardless.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
By the end of the tournament it was pretty decent I thought. The dumb stuff was in games like England / Iran where it’s 5-1 and they’re adding 13 minutes of stoppage time.
I think it was to send a message. I bet you if the refs did this constantly a lot of players falling because of cramps won't happen as much. It would essentially fix itself.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Only turned on like ten min ago, but Gilmour has looked amazing in that ten min
Good thing you didn't watch the rest then... I thought only Lallana (who seems done every time I see him) and March (who I really like usually) looked worse. He tried to do a lot, played a lot of balls, but isn't good/strong enough defensively and he lost a lot of balls in attack.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ramsdale never looked comfortable out there today. Dixon thought he looked like he was in discomfort and I wouldn't be surprised if he was playing through a knock. Not necessarily blaming him on the goals, but at least two of three-ish goals I thought were quite saveable to me (1st and 3rd if VAR didn't overturn it).
It's been incredible how Arsenal can simultaneously sit back and try to turtle to the lead while also leaving so much space for Brighton to run into behind their back line.
It's not really that, it's just Arsenal's bench being ridiculously weak. I love El Neny, but he can't provide the same level of class that Partey is capable of. Then you take Odegaard off with his ball possession and distribution for Holding who is a bottom-half club CB.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Wild game today. Crazy to see Arsenal's lead at the top continue to grow!

Brighton had some chances they likely should have done better on but any day you allow 4 at home is going to be a hard one.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I am very interested to see how Gil plays alongside Son and Kane. He's SO slight but a ton of skill. Not going to get a better chance this year to impress.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Imagine being a ref which I assume requires years of training and then missing a blatant foul like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad