GWT: EPL - Matchweek 1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
People who have only known the CL can't understand football back then.
There weren't super teams. Teams were limited to 3 foreigners so it was mostly guys from their academies.
Winning any cup was huge. There wasn't "second tier" cups. Arguably the UEFA cup was the hardest. And you could lose to any team from the East.
Nowadays, some teams are expected to win the Europa League. That didn't exist back then, no prediction could be made.
OM went from losing in the final against Red Star Belgrade to losing early to Moscow and then winning it all together the year after. And they were likely the best team in that 3 year period. It was unpredictable.
You had some favourites, mostly the teams who could afford the best foreigners and who had a good national core of the best players of their country. Milan, Barcelona, Real, Marseille in the early 90s.
So winning with Aberdeen is a great achievement but not one that is comparable to doing it now.

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Wow, Sir FA United.

Complete and utter garbage and the biggest reason why is because the VAR officials are giving too much respect to the on-field ref to control the game. VAR should've cancelled both pens in the Brighton/Luton match and this was clearly a pen here, but because the match is playing in front of overrated SAF at Old Cappord, we can't let the fans go home empty-handed.
If you're going to disparage a manager, try not to go after the one who made your manager and team his bitch for 20 years.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Kiev and Tbilisi were in the Soviet league, which was of much higher quality than you are apparently aware. You don't know what you're talking about
That wasn’t my point at all. My point is that comparing the prestigious vs non-prestigious names of today is irrelevant. You are, in fact, making my point. Thank you.

So winning with Aberdeen is a great achievement but not one that is comparable to doing it now.
Exactly.

That's not what he meant. In the early 80´s teams like Aberdeen could compete for European trophies in a way that just isn't possible today meaning it's not a big of an accomplishment as it would be today. Which is true. It's still an accomplishment though.
I’m glad most people were capable of grasping a relatively simple point. Incredible that the Liverpool fan decided to go to the mat for the United legend just so he could twist my point and start an argument.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
But it wasn't a "lower tier" cup either.
It literally was considered the second most prestigious cup though. In other words, if a team qualified for the European Cup and the CWC, they would go to the former. Still prestigious because qualifying was different, don’t get me wrong.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In regards to the should’ve been PK, I agree it should’ve been a PK. But I do think the PL is doing itself no favors here by the stuff they do let go on corners. I mean we see guys get pulled down and tackled all the time only for nothing to be called(inconsistently tbf). So while this should be called, the PL and its refs call games where corners can be a bit of a free for all and is to the detriment of everyone.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In regards to the should’ve been PK, I agree it should’ve been a PK. But I do think the PL is doing itself no favors here by the stuff they do let go on corners. I mean we see guys get pulled down and tackled all the time only for nothing to be called(inconsistently tbf). So while this should be called, the PL and its refs call games where corners can be a bit of a free for all and is to the detriment of everyone.
Keeper vs a player in an air ball situation is always 50 - 50 and 9 times out of 10 they go in the keeper's favor so that gives you 33 and 3rd percent chance of getting a penalty.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
In the past 57 seasons a non OF club has won the Scottish League 4 times total. 3 of them were Fergie's Aberdeen. What he did with United is nothing short of remarkable but you can make a strong argument what he accomplished in the north of Scotland was even more remarkable.

That CB pairing Willie Miller and Alex McLeish was great, and keeper Jim Leighton was good too, even though he didn't do quite that well with Man Utd later.

Gordon Strachan had the best career of those Fergie's players.

Reactions: sabremike

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It literally was considered the second most prestigious cup though. In other words, if a team qualified for the European Cup and the CWC, they would go to the former. Still prestigious because qualifying was different, don’t get me wrong.
Expressing in tier is just wrong.
Of course C1 was "better" than c2 and c3.
Yet everyone knew the c3 was the hardest to win.
So it's really not in tiers.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Keeper vs a player in an air ball situation is always 50 - 50 and 9 times out of 10 they go in the keeper's favor so that gives you 33 and 3rd percent chance of getting a penalty.
Math aside, calling yesterday's play an "air ball situation" is even pretty loose considering how late Onana was getting there. More like there was a few players going for a header and then afterwards Onana clobbered the wolves player.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Math aside, calling yesterday's play an "air ball situation" is even pretty loose considering how late Onana was getting there. More like there was a few players going for a header and then afterwards Onana clobbered the wolves player.
Again, look up "Steiner Math" on Youtube. ;)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not saying this is the same as Onana - though this tweet clearly is.

Purely at the video - would you want to see this called more as well? He doesn’t get the ball and just cleans the attacker out. Happened early in the United game too.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Purely at the video - would you want to see this called more as well? He doesn’t get the ball and just cleans the attacker out. Happened early in the United game too.

If it's clear the ball is going out, I'm less inclined to want it to be a penalty.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If you're going to disparage a manager, try not to go after the one who made your manager and team his bitch for 20 years.
Getting all the calls is not making somebody "his bitch". Wenger wrecked United more than anybody else, the only thing you got on us is the 7-1 match. But it doesn't matter because United got destroyed just as bad recently so I'm fine blud.

• Haha
Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

These tweets are so bad. Can’t use last season here as whataboutism. If they are trying to change for the better who cares. The important Thing is that they keep the same consistency this season going forward. If they don’t, sure complain away. Don’t complain because now they are doing the right thing

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think something that significant *should* be a pen, but referees will virtually never give them when the keeper is going for a clear save that way and the ball is going out.

The one early in the United game was when Anthony tried to chip the keeper and got lightly bumped right after it. That was far, far less significant contact and would have been on par with the Szczesny on Messi pen (which was a joke)

The Onana situation was him jumping kinda for a cross kinda to block a header or something but then two arm swinging down onto the attacker. As I said before, it if was strictly body to body contact and he hadn't swung with his arms, no one would have noticed or really cared, but instead he took a healthy two arm swing into the attacker as part of his misjudged attempted at the ball.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
These tweets are so bad. Can’t use last season here as whataboutism. If they are trying to change for the better who cares. The important Thing is that they keep the same consistency this season going forward. If they don’t, sure complain away. Don’t complain because now they are doing the right thing

I literally said the tweet commentary wasn’t the point. And aais im not comparing to Onana

You can’t get one sentence through a post without seeing red at the mere mention of United

Getting all the calls is not making somebody "his bitch". Wenger wrecked United more than anybody else, the only thing you got on us is the 7-1 match. But it doesn't matter because United got destroyed just as bad recently so I'm fine blud.

Head to head they’re not even close. The results during the time both coached dont even approach even.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I literally said the tweet commentary wasn’t the point. And aais im not comparing to Onana

You can’t get one sentence through a post without seeing red at the mere mention of United
Not at all. Not even directing at you or United. Just saying it’s a bad tweet and it’s a disingenuous point to bring up. I don’t think I said this was specific to United in anything that I was replying to either? The only ones making this about United are the United fans

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not at all. Not even directing at you or United. Just saying it’s a bad tweet and it’s a disingenuous point to bring up. I don’t think I said this was specific to United in anything that I was replying to either? The only ones making this about United are the United fans

You said it was what about ism. I specifically said my point isn’t to distract or excuse Onana

If the league is now interested in getting away from their stance that keepers can do anybting - is THIS video another type situation ripe for a rule change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad