GWT: EPL - Matchweek 1

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Utd is back baby. Refs terrified to give PKs against the home team this Matchweek I guess

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's one thing to give the keeper the benefit of the doubt when it's a situation like earlier on the Wolves keeper where Antony tried to chip him and the keeper bumped into him a bit afterwards. In those situations the contact isn't significant and it's a much more natural "save" type motion.

But in this case he tried to come out to intercept a cross, completely misjudged it and clattered the attacker with a decent amount of force. If he had just bumped him with the body, they it's a whole lot of nothing, but the arms swinging down onto him are what really makes it a foul and thus it should have been a pen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have no problem whatsoever if the keeper hits the ball and follows through with his arms in a negative way. I have a problem when Onana is ten seconds late to the ball and still follows through with a punching motion by getting a full-on 0% of the ball.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's one thing to give the keeper the benefit of the doubt when it's a situation like earlier on the Wolves keeper where Antony tried to chip him and the keeper bumped into him a bit afterwards. In those situations the contact isn't significant and it's a much more natural "save" type motion.

But in this case he tried to come out to intercept a cross, completely misjudged it and clattered the attacker with a decent amount of force. If he had just bumped him with the body, they it's a whole lot of nothing, but the arms swinging down onto him are what really makes it a foul and thus it should have been a pen.
But keepers are allowed to go for crosses. In fact, I've seen it with the Finnish national team games where a keeper misses a cross slightly, bumps into a player, goes down and gets a free kick. Keepers have been getting the benefit of the doubt for years. Reverse the situation and if United had been awarded a penalty, the very same people would be fuming about that too! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
But keepers are allowed to go for crosses. In fact, I've seen it with the Finnish national team games where a keeper misses a cross slightly, bumps into a player, goes down and gets a free kick. Keepers have been getting the benefit of the doubt for years. Reverse the situation and if United had been awarded a penalty, the very same people would be fuming about that too! :laugh:
If it was just body to body contact I don't think anyone would have said anything about it. The issue was the arm swing.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
When has a goalkeeper been penalized for missing on a cross? I don't remember a single case.
I gave it like ten minutes trying to find the penalty Matt Ryan gave up against West Ham for Alkmaar in the Conference League. If you manage to find video post it, but pretty much clattered Bowen exactly like this.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United should just be put on a separate table with calls like that.
Well you certainly changed your view on those calls compared to the penalty given to Argentina vs Poland at the World Cup:

As did Live In The Now:

As did Hatterson:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean it’s clearly a penalty no one is allowed to hit another player In the box without getting the ball. This is basic.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't change my opinion. Onana clatters into both of them with both hands and with his body, and the ball stayed in play too. That didn't happen in the WC call. In the WC the keeper brushed Messi with his hand when the ball is going out.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Trying to compare those two plays is moronic. Szczesny is reaching for a ball and misses it by inches with Messi behind him. Onana has the play completely in front of him, misjudges the play pretty much as badly as possible, and takes out the attacker with the full force of his body.

There’s missing, and then there’s missing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Szczesny also didn't swing his arm across Messi. He reached up to block a cross and barely missed.
Which was always called for a penalty wrongly. Probably not the reference point someone arguing against a penalty would want to me make lol

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Terrible performance. Midfield was overun all game, the gap between Casemiro and Bruno/Mount was too big. Bruno's pass to AWB before the goal was nice.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad