GWT: EPL - Matchweek 1

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
PGMOL already apologizing is hilarious. Like the teams probably haven't even showered yet, just go out there and take the penalty.
didnt this happen in United favor against Brighton or something a couple years ago?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
didnt this happen in United favor against Brighton or something a couple years ago?

Only Brighton/United “controversy” I recall was United getting the VAR pen after full time was whistled. But that wasn’t actually a controversy since it was a stonewall pen and it happened while play was still live.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Only Brighton/United “controversy” I recall was United getting the VAR pen after full time was whistled. But that wasn’t actually a controversy since it was a stonewall pen and it happened while play was still live.
That’s worse

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What? How is the ref missing a stonewall penalty live and VAR quickly correcting him worse than VAR totally ignoring a legit penalty?
Because the wrong decision standing is worse than getting the right decision

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I didn't watch the game, but just caught the extended highlights now. Cunha dominating and must have had 3-4 legit box to box runs through United's midfield. Wolves couldn't finish anything though.

Also, calling that "missing a cross" is even something lol. I've seen pens called for much less when the goalkeeper follows through and takes out the attacker. Ederson on Nketiah last season for example.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Again...what?

Against BHA a few years ago they ultimately got the decision right.

Today they let the wrong decision stand.
I think I misread and used that wrong. What a busy day at the office wasn’t paying full attention. Oops

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wow, Sir FA United.

Complete and utter garbage and the biggest reason why is because the VAR officials are giving too much respect to the on-field ref to control the game. VAR should've cancelled both pens in the Brighton/Luton match and this was clearly a pen here, but because the match is playing in front of overrated SAF at Old Cappord, we can't let the fans go home empty-handed.
A reminder: SAF once won the Cup Winners Cup by beating Bayern in the semis and Real Madrid in the final with...

ABERDEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He won a goddamned European trophy with ABERDEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think he's overrated you are out of your mind.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
A reminder: SAF once won the Cup Winners Cup by beating Bayern in the semis and Real Madrid in the final with...

To be fair, it was 1983. Bayern finished 4th in the Bundesliga. He beat a team that dissolved 5 years later in the semi-final (not Bayern, who he beat in the quarterfinals).

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
To be fair, it was 1983. Bayern finished 4th in the Bundesliga. He beat a team that dissolved 5 years later in the semi-final (not Bayern, who he beat in the quarterfinals).
Two of his Scottish Cup triumphs are tainted in a similar manner as they came against a side that dissolved close to 30 years later.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Two of his Scottish Cup triumphs are tainted in a similar manner as they came against a side that dissolved close to 30 years later.
My point is only that winning the second tier European cup with Aberdeen in the early 80s isn't really the feather in the cap it would be now. Hell, it's not even as neat as Porto winning UCL in the early 2000s.

Reactions: I am not exposed

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My point is only that winning the second tier European cup with Aberdeen in the early 80s isn't really the feather in the cap it would be now. Hell, it's not even as neat as Porto winning UCL in the early 2000s.
In the past 57 seasons a non OF club has won the Scottish League 4 times total. 3 of them were Fergie's Aberdeen. What he did with United is nothing short of remarkable but you can make a strong argument what he accomplished in the north of Scotland was even more remarkable.

Reactions: gary69

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Friendly reminder that the manager before Fergie at Aberdeen has a better winning percentage than Fergie did.

Anyway, apropos of nothing, other teams that won the Cup Winners Cup in the 80s include KV Mechelen, Dinamo Kiev, and Dinamo Tbilisi. In the more prestigious cup, you have Steaua Bucuresti, Porto, PSV Eindhoven and Red Star Belgrade. It was a different period of soccer where Big 5 leagues weren't realllllly a thing and dominance was harder to maintain. In the third tier UEFA Cup, you had Ipswich Town, IFK Goteborg, Anderlecht. This is the level Real Madrid was at, by the way.
In the past 57 seasons a non OF club has won the Scottish League 4 times total. 3 of them were Fergie's Aberdeen. What he did with United is nothing short of remarkable but you can make a strong argument what he accomplished in the north of Scotland was even more remarkable.
Great. 82-83 was 40 seasons ago. So let's do 40 seasons in the other direction. Hibs x3, Aberdeen x4, Hearts x2, Dundee x1, Dundee United x1, Kilmarnock x1. All of a sudden it's not as crazy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Friendly reminder that the manager before Fergie at Aberdeen has a better winning percentage than Fergie did.

Anyway, apropos of nothing, other teams that won the Cup Winners Cup in the 80s include KV Mechelen, Dinamo Kiev, and Dinamo Tbilisi. In the more prestigious cup, you have Steaua Bucuresti, Porto, PSV Eindhoven and Red Star Belgrade. It was a different period of soccer where Big 5 leagues weren't realllllly a thing and dominance was harder to maintain. In the third tier UEFA Cup, you had Ipswich Town, IFK Goteborg, Anderlecht. This is the level Real Madrid was at, by the way.

Great. 82-83 was 40 seasons ago. So let's do 40 seasons in the other direction. Hibs x3, Aberdeen x4, Hearts x2, Dundee x1, Dundee United x1, Kilmarnock x1. All of a sudden it's not as crazy.
Kiev and Tbilisi were in the Soviet league, which was of much higher quality than you are apparently aware. You don't know what you're talking about

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I think you can be both great and also be overrated. If you give the PSG coaching job to either SAF or Wenger, I argue that Wenger would be able to get more out of the players now than SAF would be able to. The game has passed by both of them, but SAF would be absolutely killed in today's modern offensive-flowing attacking style where the wind blowing could receive a yellow card. The only thing he has got going for him is he'd get all the ref decisions.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Kiev and Tbilisi were in the Soviet league, which was of much higher quality than you are apparently aware. You don't know what you're talking about

He’s right. IFK Göteborg for instance won the UEFA Cup in 1982 and 1987 and later in 1994 they won an UCL-group including Man United and Barcelona. Guess where they are now? About to get relagated from a league that aren’t even top 20 in Europe.

The only way for teams like that to be competetive in Europe again is if they get their hands on Saudimoney.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He’s right. IFK Göteborg for instance won the UEFA Cup in 1982 and 1987 and later in 1994 they won an UCL-group including Man United and Barcelona. Guess where they are now? About to get relagated from a league that aren’t even top 20 in Europe.

The only way for teams like that to be competetive in Europe again is if they get their hands on Saudimoney.
No he’s not right, the point he made was that winning with Aberdeen didn’t mean that much which is just absolutely not true.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
No he’s not right, the point he made was that winning with Aberdeen didn’t mean that much which is just absolutely not true.

That's not what he meant. In the early 80´s teams like Aberdeen could compete for European trophies in a way that just isn't possible today meaning it's not a big of an accomplishment as it would be today. Which is true. It's still an accomplishment though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad