GWT: EPL Match Day 1

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I don't know why people have Spurs finishing top 4 without any questions. Their pressing system worked well on the tiny pitch at WHL. Wembley is a much larger pitch and based on their results in Europe their system didn't work out.

Man U and Man City look to be the ones guaranteed in the top 4.

Chelsea: Going in with the same depth as last year but now must compete in Europe.
Liverpool: Coutinho going, possibly no other new signings and possibly a rift between manager and the board.
Arsenal: Questions regarding Sanchez and Ox staying. Possibly no other new signings.
Tottenham: New home on a wider pitch and no new signings so far.

Any of those 4 teams above can finish outside of top 4.

A larger pitch also gives their attacking players more space. Don't think anybody is guaranteeing they finish in the top four.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
A larger pitch also gives their attacking players more space. Don't think anybody is guaranteeing they finish in the top four.

Spurs strength has always been their defense. They didn't show much offense last year in the CL on the bigger pitch.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't know why people have Spurs finishing top 4 without any questions. Their pressing system worked well on the tiny pitch at WHL. Wembley is a much larger pitch and based on their results in Europe their system didn't work out.

Chelsea: Going in with the same depth as last year but now must compete in Europe.
Liverpool: Coutinho going, possibly no other new signings and possibly a rift between manager and the board.
Arsenal: Questions regarding Sanchez and Ox staying. Possibly no other new signings.

I don't know why Man U gets a guarantee. I mean, sure they've had a much better transfer window, but the same was true last summer, we should know by now that under Mourinho that means nothing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I said I didn't expect top 4. There's a difference. Though I'm not sure how that's relevant to what we're discussing anyway. It's okay Lacazette will be a useful player like Zlatan was. He will probably guide his team to 6th aswell. Respectable contributions. Firmino will lead his team to the top 4 though so, it is what it is.

So you believe Liverpool's season was more successful than United's last year?

Really?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't know why Man U gets a guarantee. I mean, sure they've had a much better transfer window, but the same was true last summer, we should know by now that under Mourinho that means nothing.

As a fan, I'm expecting top 4, and Mourinho should be fired if he doesn't get it. But I wouldn't call it a guarantee.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Cahill got a straight red for that tackle yesterday, Kane definitely could have seen red as well for that scissor move. Objectively I thought that the Kane tackle was worse

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
After that whole sequence, I feel worse for Shelvey than I do for Alli.

If Cahill got a straight red for that tackle yesterday, Kane definitely could have seen red as well for that scissor move. Objectively I thought that the Kane tackle was worse

I agree.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Spurs need to sell Dier while his value is high, he's awful and kills everything once the ball hits his feet. Dembele and Wanyama are better, they can also play Winks further back if needed.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Far too much is made about the pitch size. Southampton's pitch size is right around average and Pochettino had his tactics working there. You could argue that Sours moving to a bigger pitch actually helps them because they'll shift to tactics that should be effective at home and away. Yes, Wembley is the biggest pitch in the EPL, but it is similar to the majority in the League and not some ridiculous outlier like Hull's.

I agree that they aren't a lock for the top-4, but United certainly aren't either.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Quite the ugly game. I agree that Kane should have been off, by so should Ritchie have been too. Dele Alli succesfully riled them up.

Regarding KWP he was a nuisance down the flank. Didn't deliver much end product. Seemed to be making alot of good defensive decisions. Kinda lucky Gayle was offside or else it would have been a penalty.

Eriksen was deffo MOTM.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Four first teamers out for West Ham, including their best player, wouldn't expect to get much out of this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad