GWT: EPL Match Day 1

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Everton seem in good shape, they aint going to be pushing the top 6 unless they sign a striker though.

Spending all that money on Sigurðsson is going to be a waste imo. Take some of that money and go and get a striker.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Liverpool was always going to have a mediocre season if you consider their squad even with Coutinho in it. Maybe he and Mane could squeak out a couple more wins here and there, but will always be around that Europa line. But I suggest we need to give some credit to Watford, they should be the controlled experiment in how teams come up from the Championship should play and spend money like. Arsenal is going to have a tough time against them this season since Liverpool and Arsenal are two of the smaller clubs. They've made some awesome decisions and underrated buys. Hell, I think they should've won the game if you consider the two brutal decision makings by Gomez to get Liverpool back into the game.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Hard to believe, watching this performance, that Liverpool are the reigning Premier League Asia champions.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I like Conte, but what type of game is letting Chelsea playing? That's like 3-5 red cards in the last 2 to 3 matches. And 99% of them were all deserved.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Watford third goal showed why VAR is a necessity.

I don't think Liverpool are going to finish top four anyway with the squad they have now. Best front three in the league, worst defense of the top six by miles. Window isn't shut yet though.

And Liverpool lost their first away game last year against Burnley, still finished with 76 points and only lost six games total. Small improvements :sarcasm:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think VAR is great but shouldn't be needed for that goal. The guy was standing behind Mignolet and obstructed him ffs. There's no way that call should be missed. It's just terrible; result aside that's just an egregious miss and the refs didn't do their jobs at all.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
City finally put one in. Brighton was good for a while and had some chances but MCI was uzzing for quite some time before that goal

Personally I think Liverpool will do better this year than they're being given credit for

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Personally I think Liverpool will do better this year than they're being given credit for

They really just need to buy a defender and another midfielder. They can't possibly go on without either of them. Emre Can is not a #8, doesn't have the touch to play there.

Defender would obviously help with some of the issues they have back there, and a midfielder is necessary to kill the game off. They deserved three points as the last goal was bogus. It is what it is. That front three was electric in the second half though. It'll be difficult to park the bus against Liverpool when that's what's out there.

Also, they have a CL qualifier and in the first half were clearly managing their energy levels.

Last edited:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Huh? It wasn't a hard call. The guy was standing on the goal line. It was blatant and Mignolet also couldn't make a proper original save on the shot because of him being there, are you daft?

It is what it is. Should have taken our other chances for sure but when there are two blatant offside goals allowed it is a bit sour.

Honestly can't wait to play Arsenal though. They are the most petulant fans around and are going to get pasted.

Yeah and you Liverpool boys are just peachy.

Arsenal missing their best 4 CBs and still manage a win = destined for 6th/7th place. Liverpool looking awful with their starters = guaranteed top 4.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah and you Liverpool boys are just peachy.

Arsenal missing their best 4 CBs and still manage a win = destined for 6th/7th place. Liverpool looking awful with their starters = guaranteed top 4.
Wijnaldum, Alexander-Arnold (at fault for one goal), and Can aren't their starters.

I don't think Liverpool are going to finish top four but please educate yourself.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watford third goal showed why VAR is a necessity.

I don't think Liverpool are going to finish top four anyway with the squad they have now. Best front three in the league, worst defense of the top six by miles. Window isn't shut yet though.

And Liverpool lost their first away game last year against Burnley, still finished with 76 points and only lost six games total. Small improvements :sarcasm:
That's quite generous especially when you consider Alexis, Lacazette, and Ox/Iwobi/Welbeck as a unit is better. Alexis destroys Mane (even though he's a really good player), Firmino doesn't come close to Lacazette's potential, and Salah is like a tad better version of Pedro. He's better than those three Arsenal players, but Ox is playing the best football in his life to finish last season and preseason this year. Iwobi is still young, but is playing absurdly good and gaining experience every match, and Welbeck has the strength and work ethic to match Salah for talent.

Not only that, but Spurs and Man City have better front three players as well. Only ones I wouldn't take over Liverpool are Chelsea (have the best player though in Hazard) and Man United (more due to Moaninho being a dunce regarding his formations).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's quite generous especially when you consider Alexis, Lacazette, and Ox/Iwobi/Welbeck as a unit is better. Alexis destroys Mane (even though he's a really good player), Firmino doesn't come close to Lacazette's potential, and Salah is like a tad better version of Pedro. He's better than those three Arsenal players, but Ox is playing the best football in his life to finish last season and preseason this year. Iwobi is still young, but is playing absurdly good and gaining experience every match, and Welbeck has the strength and work ethic to match Salah for talent.

Not only that, but Spurs and Man City have better front three players as well. Only ones I wouldn't take over Liverpool are Chelsea (have the best player though in Hazard) and Man United (more due to Moaninho being a dunce regarding his formations).

Salah compared to Pedro :laugh:

Good job showing you've absolutely never watched the player in your life. If Liverpool's front three is healthy they'll score more goals than any three Arsenal players. But they also have to rotate for CL competition and Arsenal's don't, so maybe they won't.

Between this and some of the other analysis about players like Seri from other people on this board, it's clear who does and doesn't watch other leagues.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Alexis scored more than double of any Liverpool players in the league IIRC.

To suggest three Liverpool players will outscore him is... Bold.

Edit: Alexis scored 24, Coutinho(lol)/Sane scored 13. Not quite double but quite close

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015

Edit: Alexis scored 24, Coutinho(lol)/Sane scored 13. Not quite double but quite close

You forgot Salah. The best WINGER THE BPL has ever seen.

cannot wait for Tankasinac to destroy him or Mane so they can go hide behind Flopp

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah I can't wait for that game either. Hopefully as easy as the last two against that lot. Also to be fair I was pushing Salah on this board before he got to Liverpool.

This board has a weird obsession with underrating Pedro.
Pedro is a great player. I have nothing against Pedro whatsoever, but they don't play similarly in any way. It would be like comparing Messi to Lukaku.

I actually think Salah played like garbage today even though he had a goal and won a penalty. Wasn't a very good performance and he played a lot better than that for Roma.

Tends to happen when their best scorer only plays part of a season. Mane would have ended around 18-19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad