GWT: EPL Match Day 1

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by spintheblackcircle, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Havre

Havre Registered User

Kane's is clearly worse in the sense that it is reckless and borderline violent. Ritchie's is just nasty. I don't think Kane intentionally wants to hurt Lejeune - he just makes a ridiculously poor attempt at a tough tackle. Ritchie wants to clip Alli down - intentionally.

All three are red cards for me. Ritchie's might be the "lesser red", but I absolutely hate those kind of tackles. Completely random if Alli's ankle rolls over or not.

And I do think Kane survives because I can't think of a time when he has made such a tackle before. He goes to grown occasionally, but he isn't dirty. So when the refs sees it he probably doesn't think it is as bad as it is because he knows Kane won't normally tackle dirty. Wrong in this case, but I can understand why the ref is fooled. Really has nothing to do with Kane being a "darling".

2. jacobhockey13

jacobhockey13 used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards

Intentionally—well, yeah—he's trying to stop a Spurs' break; it's a professional foul. The only reason that Ritchie's was bad was that is was comically late. If he were to have got his leg in front of the attacking player, there's almost no chance that the player gets hurt there or rolls over on his ankle, but he didn't. It wasn't a bad challenge in principle, just in execution.

3. Havre

Havre Registered User

Disagree. He is basically straight behind Alli when he makes the tackle. Impossible to make that tackle in a "harmless" professional way.

Completely different to trip someone over and to kick them in the ankle with force - which Ritchie is doing.

Personally I think professional fouls should be red as well - different discussion of course.