GWT: English Premier League: 4/22 - 4/27/2017

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Glad Arsenal got the victory. Need them to have something to play for when they play United.

I know everyone here has written them off but they have won 4 out of 5 and if they win their games in hand they are tied on points with Liverpool. Tied with United and have the head to head with them next week.

Everyone is going to drop points at some point and probably two times. The order in which it happens can make the fight for the last two CL places really interesting.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't expect them to beat United, probably get a draw. Then they go to Southampton where they've dropped points before. It should be beneficial to Liverpool to play once a week while these other teams have to play twice a week, but considering that goals against stat I posted earlier, I have no idea.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
omg that embarrassing dive from Sanchez

my stupid coach in high school used to try to "defend" a throw with a guy right on the sideline and it led to one of our guys getting a ball right in the chops one day which in turn led to a bit of a ruckus with multiple red cards on both teams. Coach dropped that strategy next game, forever.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Agreed. Finally string a few wins together and then have to play @Spurs, United and @Southampton. I'll believe they'll beat Mourinho when I see it and Saints have been a bogey team as you mentioned. 6 points is probably fortunate and that is the bare minimum they need to get from those games. United is the first of 4 games in 9 days as well.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I know everyone here has written them off but they have won 4 out of 5 and if they win their games in hand they are tied on points with Liverpool. Tied with United and have the head to head with them next week.

Right now, Arsenal are equal on games with United and have 3 fewer points, although that's depending on the Manchester derby result tomorrow.

They're also traveling to Spurs on the weekend. If they somehow win that match, I might give them a shot at the top 4, but that's a huge if.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
my stupid coach in high school used to try to "defend" a throw with a guy right on the sideline and it led to one of our guys getting a ball right in the chops one day which in turn led to a bit of a ruckus with multiple red cards on both teams. Coach dropped that strategy next game, forever.

By FIFA rules it's not allowed, have to stand at least 2 meters away.

Intentionally standing closer than that should be the same as intentionally standing too close to a free kick. Ref will tell you to back off, if you don't, you get a card.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
By FIFA rules it's not allowed, have to stand at least 2 meters away.

Intentionally standing closer than that should be the same as intentionally standing too close to a free kick. Ref will tell you to back off, if you don't, you get a card.

Yep. Call was right.

Fuchs should've been booked as well though.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Waiting for king j0ffrey to come in and call Sanchez cheating scum

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
A friend of mine told me when Spurs signed Wanyama to "enjoy all the red cards", but I've been pleasantly surprised with his temperament this year, don't think he has a red all season. He picks up yellows just because that's his style, but it's been nice having his solid play in the midfield this year.

Been a rock all year. Makes up for the Sissoko failure, IMO.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, he probably scratched his face. Never heard of someone getting hit in the shoulder making their lips swell.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Even if the ball did hit him in the face, he watched it deflect back out of field then turned around took two steps, and then decided he'd try to get Fuchs a red and flopped grabbing his face.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Even if the ball did hit him in the face, he watched it deflect back out of field then turned around took two steps, and then decided he'd try to get Fuchs a red and flopped grabbing his face.

Oh he did what (sadly) almost every footballer does in that situation.

Faked an injury.

Not excusing him at all, I'm in favor of retroactive bans for stuff like that.
At the same time, Fuchs needed to be booked there.
It doesn't matter that the ball hit him on the shoulder, Fuchs deliberately threw the ball at him with force.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I wish they awarded retroactive red cards for that crap.

That indeed is the only way football could get rid of those embarrassing antics. It speaks volumes about the priorities of those in charge of the game that this solution hasn't even been brought up and discussed at an official level yet, even though scenes like the Sanchez dive are not exactly rare.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Want to see a ManCity win today. Spurs have ManU at home coming up in a few weeks and don't want to have ManU playing for a CL spot.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Even if they lose against City they're still going to be playing for a CL spot most likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad