Post-Game Talk: End of the Cinderella Story, Habs lose to Sabres 6-5

POTG (08/11/2018)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
All those years of begging for Price to have offensive support and now that he seems to have it he can’t do his job and make the key saves anymore.

31 years old, 1 year into an 8 year, $84-million deal. Ffs

This year reminds me of 2012-13 with Gallant as assistant coach. Very similar team. We played well offensively that year and Price totally imploded down the stretch and in the playoffs. It was the year he cried about feeling like a hobbit in Montreal.... which was pathetic. After that debacle the habs started to play an ultra conservative and boring brand of hockey and Price had his best seasons. We go back to an offensive style and Price is exposed ... big time.

The funny thing is one idea I kept seeing posted on here that never made sense to me "We have the best goalie in the world, why do we trade for defensive players, and play so conservative". You see why today. Go rewatch the 2012-13 season for more evidence of Price not being the guy to play behind a system that is more offensive/less defensive.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
This team should orchestrate a 3-way trade with Minnesota and Toronto.

Minnesota Receives: Poehling, Toronto 3rd, Montreal 4th

Montreal Receives: Nylander

Toronto Receives: Jared Spurgeon, Montreal 2nd

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
.892 SV% for Price after 12 games - he’s somehow doing even worse than last season.

Reactions: monkza

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Price is not sharp, but the team is not helping him. How many times are we going to lose the puck behind the net for a quick pass to an open man in the slot? How many two on ones, where the opponent has only to tap the puck into an open net? We need Price to get his shit together, but boy, they are making it very difficult to get their goalie into any kind of groove.

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
Niemi just seems to make the saves when it's needed! Even if he allows goals, any goalie will allow goals, it's like he makes those couple of saves that allow the team to win!
Besides the buffalo last minute goal , i feel niemi has been rock solid this season. Hes been playing almost as if hes a number 1 again

Reactions: Lycanthrope

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Can we also talk about this awful powerplay?

Can we fire Kirk Muller or something?

Some good passes, but then they hold the play up. No one timers. No fast movement. Don't know why Petry can't hit the net all of a sudden.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Price is playing badly, but our system is not oriented towards defense. It's high risk, high reward, give aways in the neutral zone, three, four guys pressuring deep, its fun when we win, sucks when we lose.

Reactions: Edgy and muzion

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Niemi just seems to make the saves when it's needed! Even if he allows goals, any goalie will allow goals, it's like he makes those couple of saves that allow the team to win!

Niemi is shitty too it just doesn't feel as bad because he's not making 10.5 million dollars. Start whoever, won't matter. Neither guy looks capable of bailing out the awful D regularly. The goaltending is only an issue in that we have so much invested in it, if we had 2 cheap goalies we'd be able to focus on how embarrassing the D is but the Price problem is so devastating and so long term that it's hard to think about anything else.

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
Would vancouver ever take price with cap retained... i feel as if the only thing stoping that option is molsons pockets

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Our lack of talent and elite shooter shows on the PP. It's basically 5 guys passing the puck and none is comfortable to shoot it.

Reactions: Oryxo

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Defended price a lot last year...does he just want to be traded? If you don't want the weight of the city on your shoulders don't take a monster contract. If he loses a few more games this month the mob will fire up their torches(if they haven't already)
Simpsons-angry-mob-pitchfork-torches.jpg

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I've always defended Price in his early years when people were unfairly bashing him but he isn't a kid anymore and he's been trash for 2 years now. The guy's paid like the best goalie in the world and he looks ridiculously shaky in net, can't control his rebounds for ****, keeps giving up soft goals... Thanks to MB we're stuck with Rick DiPietro 2.o. for the next 8 years, nice!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Price is not sharp, but the team is not helping him. How many times are we going to lose the puck behind the net for a quick pass to an open man in the slot? How many two on ones where the opponent has only to tap the puck into an open net. We need Price to get his **** together, but boy, they are making it very difficult to get their goali into any kind of groove.

Price was horrible in so many aspects tonight. Had nothing to do with the d core. Should have let in 3 or 4 with this bad dcore.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Makes no sense to me to talk about points either. How many points are we from 11th?

Only 3.....BUT, i found it funny being that high in the standings and on paper i still think this team should be at the bottom of this league and tons are totally freaking out.

We're not a team that can have a ton of injuries and still do well. We need every player to play and play their role. We're not a team that has a big forward line that carries the team offensively. Also, the young d of Mete, Reilly, and Juulsen haven't been as good.

It's also mainly because Habs' injury are all the best players defensively you pretty much have.
Weber, Schlemko, Byron, Armia, Plekanec....that's a PK unit and good unit to shutdown a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille