OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What was the condition of the bridge at the time it was struck? I mean the whole f***ing bridge went down, not just the section where the ship struck.

This may have been a perfect storm of a large ship out of control hitting a bridge that wasn't in the best shape to begin with. Infrastructure maintenance in this country is not good.

@BMC Ponder this over coffee - How many railroad tracks connect Manhattan with New Jersey?

1711461269390.png

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
What was the condition of the bridge at the time it was struck? I mean the whole f***ing bridge went down, not just the section where the ship struck.

This may have been a perfect storm of a large ship out of control hitting a bridge that wasn't in the best shape to begin with. Infrastructure maintenance in this country is not good.

They were actually working on the bridge at the time. Several concrete workers who were doing maintenance are among the victims.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Maybe they should have waited until they have something before having a presser and saying nothing.

They were actually working on the bridge at the time. Several concrete workers who were doing maintenance are among the victims.
They do not even seem to know how many there are/were

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Maybe they should have waited until they have something before having a presser and saying nothing.

They do not even seem to know how many there are/were

I think the authorities were trying to get out ahead of all the speculation going on especially on social media. Nothing wrong with admitting they don't have all the information yet.
Accounting for the construction crew should be fairly easy but of course it is impossible to say how many people were in the vehicles on the bridge at the time it was hit. :(

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I think the authorities were trying to get out ahead of all the speculation going on especially on social media. Nothing wrong with admitting they don't have all the information yet.
Accounting for the construction crew should be fairly easy but of course it is impossible to say how many people were in the vehicles on the bridge at the time it was hit. :(
It is terrible. I feel for the families who are missing folks who are probably gone.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have to say this is why I hate driving over these huge bridges, I'm always afraid something will happen & I'll end up in the water. Nothing has ever come close to happening except in my nightmares so I know this is an irrational fear. But it is a real one.

:(

Reactions: NeelyDan

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I was big fan. I watched his shows on MTV and how he treated his groups. All the while listening to Wendy on the radio. It's scary shit. And disgusting he was allowed to be doing this for so long. I hate predators.

I'd start talking about Nickelodeon but that just even more upsetting.

Edit: oh it seems you are being facetious here. Sorry, that a guy who has been allegedly involved in s3x trafficking for years finally getting caught isn't important.

Not sure where you got that idea. You always seem to have an opinion on pop culture events that gives helpful context.

It's the off-topic thread, if you don't relate to something then keep moving along.

There’s people here whose role is to moderate discussion and you aren’t one of them.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Horrible to think that an engine failure on that ship could cause all that, but here we are.

It will take a herculean effort to replace that bridge, but once upon a time, when something like this happened, the challenge was met and shit got done. When the dust literally and figuratively settles from this, every effort should be made to replace/rebuild this. I really think that if all UNNECESSARY red tape is cut out, and the maximum effort is made, this bridge should be replaced within three years.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Horrible to think that an engine failure on that ship could cause all that, but here we are.

It will take a herculean effort to replace that bridge, but once upon a time, when something like this happened, the challenge was met and shit got done. When the dust literally and figuratively settles from this, every effort should be made to replace/rebuild this. I really think that if all UNNECESSARY red tape is cut out, and the maximum effort is made, this bridge should be replaced within three years.

It's Baltimore, which is just shy of Chicago and New Orleans when it comes to red tape.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
It's Baltimore, which is just shy of Chicago and New Orleans when it comes to red tape.
Gotta love it.

EDIT: I have to believe that given the importance of this bridge and the economic interests at stake here, I think the Federal Government will likely take the lead on this. But, who knows?

Any word on more survivors or rescue and recovery?

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad