OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
HOPING for early spring? Heck, its already here. 65 degrees yesterday, and the same today.

Still fully expecting that soul-crushing snow storm in April, though.......

• Haha
Reactions: Gee Wally

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I go on Petfinder twice a week, looking for a dog to adopt. It takes everything in me not to fill in any applications. I wish I could adopt all of them.

Come spring time, I'm definitely going to really start the search of adopting a dog.

I just really miss my Louie :(

And I feel like with my other dog being 14, this would be a good idea. But I don't know.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I go on Petfinder twice a week, looking for a dog to adopt. It takes everything in me not to fill in any applications. I wish I could adopt all of them.

Come spring time, I'm definitely going to really start the search of adopting a dog.

And I feel like with my other dog being 14, this would be a good idea. But I don't know.

our last few dogs we’ve only adopted.
Honestly, may sound crazy, but I let the dog pick me. It works.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
our last few dogs we’ve only adopted.
Honestly, may sound crazy, but I let the dog pick me. It works.
Ideally I'd go in person, but honestly I'd probably cry at the older ones I can't adopt. I look as North Shore Animal Shelter and the Animal Rescue League of Boston all the time. They tend to only have big dogs. And I can only have small, hypoallergenic dogs. Which limits what they have here in Mass. It's probably going to be a situation where they'd transport it and I'll go pick it up wherever they want. Which I'd hate to do to a dog who will probably be scared.

All the dogs I've ever had have been given/surrendered to us. So this is a whole new experience. I'd love to sit in a circle and have the dog pick me. That's how my 1st dog picked us. I was an infant, but she ran to my older sister and that was that.

It's an overwhelming process. But I'm hopeful it'll happen one way or the other.

I wish I was rich so I could have a farm and adopt all the older dogs and let them live free. The stories I read about dogs being abandoned or owners passing away break my heart!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ideally I'd go in person, but honestly I'd probably cry at the older ones I can't adopt. I look as North Shore Animal Shelter and the Animal Rescue League of Boston all the time. They tend to only have big dogs. And I can only have small, hypoallergenic dogs. Which limits what they have here in Mass. It's probably going to be a situation where they'd transport it and I'll go pick it up wherever they want. Which I'd hate to do to a dog who will probably be scared.

All the dogs I've ever had have been given/surrendered to us. So this is a whole new experience. I'd love to sit in a circle and have the dog pick me. That's how my 1st dog picked us. I was an infant, but she ran to my older sister and that was that.

It's an overwhelming process. But I'm hopeful it'll happen one way or the other.

I wish I was rich so I could have a farm and adopt all the older dogs and let them live free. The stories I read about dogs being abandoned or owners passing away break my heart!

How ever it happens, itll be the best day in the dogs life. I know very far away from you but anyone else this is a place I support in a few ways and can’t speak highly enough about how wonderful they are.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I would love to have another dog.

But realistically, the finances just aren't there right now. Pet fee and pet rent at the apartment, dog food, vet bills, grooming....

Maybe once I find another place to live that's not $1,700+ a month just for rent, I can finagle it

I still can't believe that in 2007 my rent was only $750 a month for the same apartment floorplan

Ughhhhh

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
How ever it happens, itll be the best day in the dogs life. I know very far away from you but anyone else this is a place I support in a few ways and can’t speak highly enough about how wonderful they are.

Thanks Wally. My sister and I are willing to drive anywhere in New England if it's the right opportunity. I'll look into this place. If you recommend it, I trust your opinion.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
HOPING for early spring? Heck, its already here. 65 degrees yesterday, and the same today.

Still fully expecting that soul-crushing snow storm in April, though.......
I planted garlic while I was at my mom’s in November. They had 2 weeks of sub zero temps and not it is in the 80’s. I’ll be lucky to get one head of garlic from the 30 cloves I planted

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

We just got our second dog. Both of them fell in our laps.

Mickey showed up on our back porch almost 16 years ago (I may be off by a year). He was a stray, the animal shelter estimated he had been on his own for about 3 weeks. No one in the neighborhood knew him, and the shelter put out a bulletin but no one claimed him. He was small and hypoallegenic, so we were able to take him if we chose to. Our girls spent the 10 day waiting period begging us day and night to adopt him. So we did.

I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Turned out it was one of the best.

Mickey passed in July. Me and the missus talked about maybe getting another dog down the road sometime. Then her best friend, who fosters dogs, took over a pup that a family got and then decided they didn't want. He was also small and hypoallegenic. Much more hyper as he is a pup. In any case, King Louie joined the LFD clan a few months ago. And he is one happy pup.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Ok so I am flying so far around the globe next month that if I were to fly any further I would be closer to where I left from.........looking for advice from those of you who may have experience with long haul flights.......I personally have never flown more than 5 hours....this is 3 flights each way with the legs being 12hrs-3hr layover-9hrs-2hr layover-2hrs the way there then 2hrs-10HR!!! layover-9hrs-2hr layover-13hrs on the way home..... I got a room at the airport hotel for the 10 hour layover but just looking for advice on how to deal with this type of voyage if anyone has the miles........

I upgraded to main cabin extra for the first leg to and last leg back as they are the longest hauls.....I picked a window seat as I always have on flights but I have people telling me I am insane take an aisle seat so I can easily get up as much as I want.....thing is I would much rather not have to get up every time I have one of the two possible passengers in my row wanting to get up........ so far these are the only legs of the flight I have picked my seats on......so what say you experienced long haul travelers.....window or aisle? Also, I just checked....as of right now there is nobody in the other two seats next to me on either way of my upgraded to main cabin extra legs of the flight......also....any other long haul travel advice would be appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Ok so I am flying so far around the globe next month that if I were to fly any further I would be closer to where I left from.........looking for advice from those of you who may have experience with long haul flights.......I personally have never flown more than 5 hours....this is 3 flights each way with the legs being 12hrs-3hr layover-9hrs-2hr layover-2hrs the way there then 2hrs-10HR!!! layover-9hrs-2hr layover-13hrs on the way home..... I got a room at the airport hotel for the 10 hour layover but just looking for advice on how to deal with this type of voyage if anyone has the miles........

I upgraded to main cabin extra for the first leg to and last leg back as they are the longest hauls.....I picked a window seat as I always have on flights but I have people telling me I am insane take an aisle seat so I can easily get up as much as I want.....thing is I would much rather not have to get up every time I have one of the two possible passengers in my row wanting to get up........ so far these are the only legs of the flight I have picked my seats on......so what say you experienced long haul travelers.....window or aisle? Also, I just checked....as of right now there is nobody in the other two seats next to me on either way of my upgraded to main cabin extra legs of the flight......also....any other long haul travel advice would be appreciated.
i’m flying 15 hours straight in about 6 hours after a 2 hour flight and 8 hour layover. only advice i can give is to get business class.

god speed.

• Haha
Reactions: Bread and Circuses

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
We just got our second dog. Both of them fell in our laps.

Mickey showed up on our back porch almost 16 years ago (I may be off by a year). He was a stray, the animal shelter estimated he had been on his own for about 3 weeks. No one in the neighborhood knew him, and the shelter put out a bulletin but no one claimed him. He was small and hypoallegenic, so we were able to take him if we chose to. Our girls spent the 10 day waiting period begging us day and night to adopt him. So we did.

I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Turned out it was one of the best.

Mickey passed in July. Me and the missus talked about maybe getting another dog down the road sometime. Then her best friend, who fosters dogs, took over a pup that a family got and then decided they didn't want. He was also small and hypoallegenic. Much more hyper as he is a pup. In any case, King Louie joined the LFD clan a few months ago. And he is one happy pup.
This gives me so much hope!

I feel like it's just going to happen and we're going to be so blessed. I'm hoping it falls into our lap the way yours did.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Window seat so you can take the pillow they give you and and use the wall for a much more comfy nap. I flew Manila to Tokyo and then Tokyo to Atlanta and finally Atlanta to Boston. Total trip was 24 hours and because I was able to curl up I was out cold before every plane ever took off.

Don’t worry about climbing over people if you need to get up. You gotta go when you gotta go.

Drink a lot of water and bring some electrolyte packets as well as some eye drops like Systane (green box), hand cream and chapstick. Trust me you will be parched and dry after the flight.

Other tip I have is to stay awake for a few hours once you land and it will take your jet lag down a notch.

Safe Travels!

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Window seat so you can take the pillow they give you and and use the wall for a much more comfy nap. I flew Manila to Tokyo and then Tokyo to Atlanta and finally Atlanta to Boston. Total trip was 24 hours and because I was able to curl up I was out cold before every plane ever took off.

Don’t worry about climbing over people if you need to get up. You gotta go when you gotta go.

Drink a lot of water and bring some electrolyte packets as well as some eye drops like Systane (green box), hand cream and chapstick. Trust me you will be parched and dry after the flight.

Other tip I have is to stay awake for a few hours once you land and it will take your jet lag down a notch.

Safe Travels!
I do already have liquid IV & Systane in my possession for the trip so it looks like I am on the right track, I am definitely sticking with the window seat. Thanks for the advice! I'm headed to a destination 12 hours ahead of us here on the east coast & my first leg takes of at 9pm, I am going to attempt to stay awake as long possible during that flight to help mitigate the jet lag, the second leg goes overnight to my destination, I'm hoping to sleep mostly on that leg.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

We just adopted one a few weeks back and another shelter I had been in touch with when we started to look reached out today to let me know that had a beautiful 1 year old cavapoo that they just got in. They knew we were looking for another doodle of some sort. He was so adorable. The shelter is in Milford, CT if that’s close to where you’re at.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
We just adopted one a few weeks back and another shelter I had been in touch with when we started to look reached out today to let me know that had a beautiful 1 year old cavapoo that they just got in. They knew we were looking for another doodle of some sort. He was so adorable. The shelter is in Milford, CT if that’s close to where you’re at.
Do you know the name of the shelter?

We're willing to drive as far down as New Jersey. Driving from Boston to Connecticut is no issue.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

MGH finally said the C word..........as the Pet Scan confirmed what they were concerned about..................

Studies:
PET CT 2/15/24
IMPRESSION:
There are 4 pulmonary nodules in the right upper lobe that are new since September 2022 but are unchanged since October 2023
Mild uptake to the queried right apical nodule, which remains indeterminate for primary lung neoplasm.
Focus of moderate uptake in the right lower lobe with areas of groundglass in the medial right lower lobe and intensely avid right hilar lymph node. These findings are indeterminate and may be consistent with a right lower lobe pneumonia given rapid appearance or possibly neoplastic in etiology given the intense avidity and size of the hilar node.

It is very small in the lungs and NOT aggressive. I meet with the team on Monday afternoon. The QB of the team is considered to be Tom Brady like at MGH
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Henning Willers, MD
Dr. Willers obtained his M.D. from the University of Hamburg Medical School in Germany in 1994. After two years of residency training in radiation oncology in Germany, he came to Boston to work as a research fellow on DNA repair in the laboratory of Simon Powell, M.D., Ph.D.. He then completed his residency training in radiation oncology at the MGH in 2005. Following three years as an attending physician in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Boston Medical Center, he returned to the MGH to join the Thoracic Radiation Oncology Program in the Department of Radiation Oncology. Dr. Willers has a busy clinical practice focusing on the care of patient with thoracic cancers of various types while also spending time in the laboratory. He is active in clinical, physics, and biology research with the overarching goal of advancing precision radiation medicine, which combines the latest in biological therapies with high-precision radiation therapy to increase the likelihood of cure without complications in patients with lung cancer.
-----------------------------------
"Don't worry about a thing
'Cause every little thing is gonna be alright"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad