OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have used that bridge many times,

If driving to DC from Boston taking thr Key meant missing downtown Baltimore traffic

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Lol @ this AI generated Amazon review.

1000007184.jpg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I don't know who was driving that ship, but they have to answer for this. It was dark but there was a full moon ...and the boat had all of the equipment to prevent this even if it was totally dark.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don't know who was driving that ship, but they have to answer for this. It was dark but there was a full moon ...and the boat had all of the equipment to prevent this even if it was totally dark.
I'm hoping there was some mechanical malfunction that caused loss of control of the ship. Otherwise it's major incompetence/neglect.

I can't imagine being responsible for the loss of one life, much less something like this.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Some reports are saying that there was a mechanical failure on the ship which caused it to be out of control when it it the bridge.

The video shows one of my worst fears...
Ever since that pedestrian bridge collapsed on a bunch of people at a Florida university a few years ago, I've hated being stuck under an overpass in traffic. I always think about that.

This reminds me of the Sunshine Skyway.

Reactions: BMC

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Brings to mind the 1980 Sunshine Skyway disaster in Tampa Bay. I looked at an Earth view of the FSK bridge and you can see that very type of cargo ship approaching, very eerie.

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Baltimore is a very busy port - no weather factors last night

10 Busiest U.S. Ports in 2024​

1. Port of Los Angeles
  2. Port of New York & New Jersey
  3. Port of Long Beach
  4. Port of Savannah
  5. Port Houston
  6. Port of Virginia
  7. Port of Seattle-Tacoma
  8. Ports of South Carolina (Charleston, Georgetown)
  9. Port of Oakland
  10. Port of Baltimore

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It had a power failure and was in an uncontrollable drift.
Even so there should be something in place to prevent this.

I don't believe this is a terrorist attack. I think someone wasn't paying proper attention.

I am pretty sure they will figure it out.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
In any event this is going to be a huge hardship for Baltimore commuters for several years.
I wonder how long it will take to repair.

This is a different situation, but I was surprised how quickly they took care of this.

How a collapsed section of I-95 reopened in just 12 days​

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wonder how long it will take to repair.

This is a different situation, but I was surprised how quickly they took care of this.

How a collapsed section of I-95 reopened in just 12 days​

The problem is you can't just build a temporary bridge in Baltimore harbor as you need to keep ships having access.

Reactions: Ladyfan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
In any event this is going to be a huge hardship for Baltimore commuters for several years.
Even worse, that's the bridge the trucks use since they can't go through the tunnels.

Have a friend whose company has a major terminal there. He thinks port opens in 3 weeks or so - at least one channel. Said years for the trucking issues to clear up. Major economic ramifications.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The problem is you can't just build a temporary bridge in Baltimore harbor as you need to keep ships having access.
Yeah..I figure this will be a nightmare. Sounds like it will be a major supply chain issue for many products..

The worst thing is they don't even know how many people they are looking for in the water. They fished a couple of them out (alive) so far. The water is very cold.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Even worse, that's the bridge the trucks use since they can't go through the tunnels.

Have a friend whose company has a major terminal there. He thinks port opens in 3 weeks or so - at least one channel. Said years for the trucking issues to clear up. Major economic ramifications.

Over the past 50 years Baltimore and Washington have become a combined metro and traffic there is nuts.

It's just horrific

BB1kxKmM.img

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What was the condition of the bridge at the time it was struck? I mean the whole f***ing bridge went down, not just the section where the ship struck.

This may have been a perfect storm of a large ship out of control hitting a bridge that wasn't in the best shape to begin with. Infrastructure maintenance in this country is not good.

Reactions: Troublesome 85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad