OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
So it being reported by Congressman that there was a harbor pilot on board with his assistant. The ship had some sort of catastrophic event. Power lost. Which effects all controls. Mayday was sent that probably saved more lives from cars on their way.
Bridge crew pothole guys update to 14 that were working Sonar and visual shows 5 cars under water.

Reactions: caz16

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
So it being reported by Congressman that there was a harbor pilot on board with his assistant. The ship had some sort of catastrophic event. Power lost. Which effects all controls. Mayday was sent that probably saved more lives from cars on their way.
Bridge crew pothole guys update to 14 that were working Sonar and visual shows 5 cars under water.
Clutch work by the pilot and assistant under pressure to save lives.

I'm curious to learn about the analysis of this one. Major shipping companies have cut back on personnel and relied more on automated navigation. I wonder how much if at all that played a part, or if backup power or navigation systems were eliminated in the name of profits.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I'm curious to learn about the analysis of this one. Major shipping companies have cut back on personnel and relied more on automated navigation. I wonder how much if at all that played a part, or if backup power or navigation systems were eliminated in the name of profits.

From what I understand once power was lost you lose all steering. The gross weight was 96,000 tons. With inertia it waslike an iceberg hitting the structure right in its load management spot.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

problem is when the engines stop on those ships it takes a long time to get them restarted and you dont have any control until they're back running

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From what I understand once power was lost you lose all steering. The gross weight was 96,000 tons. With inertia it waslike an iceberg hitting the structure right in its load management spot.
Amazing it can run into a bridge and have a section of said bridge land on it and it stays afloat

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Hey!

I've been here on this board for 10 years now.

:help:

Send cookies
1711487403478.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Gotta love it.

EDIT: I have to believe that given the importance of this bridge and the economic interests at stake here, I think the Federal Government will likely take the lead on this. But, who knows?

Any word on more survivors or rescue and recovery?

Agreed. Significantly impacting the operation of a major port has vast economic implications that will be felt across multiple states. It's in everyone's interests to sort out funding, cut through as much red tape and delays as possible and get a new bridge in place as quickly as feasibly possible. Need to go 'old school' on something like this and just get it done.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Agreed. Significantly impacting the operation of a major port has vast economic implications that will be felt across multiple states. It's in everyone's interests to sort out funding, cut through as much red tape and delays as possible and get a new bridge in place as quickly as feasibly possible. Need to go 'old school' on something like this and just get it done.
The environmental hurdles now alone will add several years. They’re not going to cut through that red tape.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Even so there should be something in place to prevent this.

I don't believe this is a terrorist attack. I think someone wasn't paying proper attention.

I am pretty sure they will figure it out.
I spoke with someone I know from work who used to manage the port in LA. He said they could have dropped anchor but a ship that size takes over a mile to stop. Charts indicate they were off course from the start and the power loss made this unavoidable accident. Nevertheless, there will be a big investigation and blame/liability will get doled out.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I spoke with someone I know from work who used to manage the port in LA. He said they could have dropped anchor but a ship that size takes over a mile to stop. Charts indicate they were off course from the start and the power loss made this unavoidable accident. Nevertheless, there will be a big investigation and blame/liability will get doled out.

I saw an interview with a ship captain who said dropping anchor at 1-2 knots might help stop it, but dropping anchor at the speed it was going would result in the anchor bouncing along the harbor floor, or the anchor taking hold and ripping out the bow of the ship.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I saw an interview with a ship captain who said dropping anchor at 1-2 knots might help stop it, but dropping anchor at the speed it was going would result in the anchor bouncing along the harbor floor, or the anchor taking hold and ripping out the bow of the ship.
From what little I have heard, there were zero good options available and the ship lost power at pretty much the worst possible time. Essentially a giant shit sandwich :(

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Still don't have my car back yet. One of the parts they ordered came in damaged. Waiting for replacement.

Today I had to take the rental car in due to low pressure in a tire. Apparently I ran over a nail. Had to patch the tire.

I am so done with everything car related right now.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Harbor Pilots are all crazy experienced and the cream of the crop (and are paid accordingly). I'm sure the Pilot did everything they possibly could have.

They saved lives by immediately alerting the bridge authorities, who themselves quickly got police to close off the bridge. Genuinely impressive how fast, efficiently, and competently everyone involved acted to minimize loss of life as best they could. Still really sad, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad