Rumor: Elliotte Friedman says Radulov is interested in NHL (COL, DET, WASH & FL favored)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Let's hypothetically entertain the possibility that Stamkos would be available and he wanted to play for the wings. The way Holland operates he would sign Stamkos and then go into "we like our team" mode. Holland will sign Stamkos and call it a day and the team will be left with an overpaid top center with a defense that struggles to get him the puck. Fun season. If the team stands any chance at improvement Holland needs to focus on the biggest problem which is a D that can't get it done in the playoffs, because if he doesn't make a move on D then the D will remain the same with the exception of the Quincey re-signing July 2nd.

Our team struggles to score and I would like to see the opportunity for that to change when you have a backend that can move the puck up the ice with control and purpose. Small skilled wingers need that and small skilled wingers are what the wings draft and develop.

Those 50 goals will get the wings in the playoffs for a first round exit with this D. So yes, that is not one iota of difference. Not saying that your direction is not merited, it just requires a lot more faith in Holland which I don't think is justified or earned at this stage in his career.

You have to start somewhere. Even with an improved defense our team isn't getting out of the first round with their forward core. We have Larkin as a top 6 center of the future but we need one more and Stamkos is the best one to hit the market in years. He should be the #1 priority.

It's pretty hard to completely revamp a team in one offseason. If we get Stamkos or Radulov though than all of a sudden some players (Nyquist, Tatar and/or Sheahan) become expendable in a trade for a top d-man.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I have a weird idea/question. If Radulov signs for us for league minimum or one or two million dollars. Can Datsyuk write him a personal check that was his salary for this year. Kind of a like an agree between two people.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I have a weird idea/question. If Radulov signs for us for league minimum or one or two million dollars. Can Datsyuk write him a personal check that was his salary for this year. Kind of a like an agree between two people.

No. Way too many reasons to get in to. Just no.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
NHL needs a mechanism like the KHL where players can buy themselves out.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

No, for the same reason Holland can't offer Stamkos a 1M salary and a 20M cheque under the table. Cap circumvention.

And Datsyuk only gets his salary if he plays.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
There are no checks in Russia between private parties (I am serious). Radulov would have to accept a debit or credit card payment. :)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Well Radulov camp says decision to be made July 1st. Sakic announced not to expect any big signings from COL on July 1st, so that leaves Detroit as the only serious bidder in the original interested teams which has not yet turned him off in the press.

I think Radulov's demands are an agent game, what will end up happening is he says fine take away the additional year but pay me the additional salary to make up for it. My guess is 1 yr 6mill. The team stretches a bit financially to get him, he sacrifices the 2 year deal he wanted, done deal. Would much rather this than Stamkos.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Maybe radulov wants to come here if we grab Stamkos

That will be at least $15 million to $15.5 million for Stamkos and Radulov most likely with Radulov getting either $4.5 or $5 million. Not only would Holland have to move Datsyuk's contract to make this happen but probably Howard's as well without retaining any salary and that's just not happening. As it looks right now we just have about enough to resign our RFAs like DeKeyser, Mrazek, Marchenko and probably sproul that's about it.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Didn't Alfie lead the team in points at age 40? I'm all for acquiring valuable players without spending assets, especially at a short-term low risk deal.

Alfie also didn't change the end results, an early playoff exit. Same with Radulov, he won't be the difference between pretending and contending.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Alfie on his last year, compared to radulov in his "prime" and playing his best hockey... talk about reaching for excuses

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Alfie on his last year, compared to radulov in his "prime" and playing his best hockey... talk about reaching for excuses

And not getting the point of a post, talk about reaching for excuses. The point is that, like Alfie, is that Radulov isn't the answer to the problems the Wings have, and is very unlikely to be the difference between the Wings going from 1st round fodder to an actual contender. He's a bandaide, he's the Wings treading water. If he were a center or a defenseman it might be different.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Well, he obviously just wants to the wings to be trash for a few years so they can acquire top picks.

No use in arguing with people like that, you can never be right.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
:shakehead
Well, he obviously just wants to the wings to be trash for a few years so they can acquire top picks.

No use in arguing with people like that, you can never be right.

No.. I want the Wings to make moves that will position them to actually contend. Watching them get embarrassed by a team for 5 extra games a year isn't what gets me out of bed in the morning. Adding a 5-6 million dollar winger who will need a season to readjust after spending years in the KHL isn't going to make the Wings a contender. They are better off focusing that cap space on other needs.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

No.. I want the Wings to make moves that will position them to actually contend. Watching them get embarrassed by a team for 5 extra games a year isn't what gets me out of bed in the morning. Adding a 5-6 million dollar winger who will need a season to readjust after spending years in the KHL isn't going to make the Wings a contender. They are better off focusing that cap space on other needs.

In tanks we trust

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
such a weird comparison

ones a decade younger than the other was

The comparison are two wingers coming to Detroit for one year and it not ending with quantitatively different results than antecedent or subsequent years. Age would matter if Radulov was taking a 5 year deal. But a one year deal it comes down to what they bring to the table for the one year.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was a tank driver in the army. It was a tongue and cheek choice based on that and all the tanking talk.

Every player the Wings target sucks(or is a bandaid), you hate Holland, and never have any actual solutions.

You just make ****** excuses why you think things won't work, like Rads needing a year to readjust to the NHL when that isn't necessarily true, at all.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Every player the Wings target sucks(or is a bandaid), you hate Holland, and never have any actual solutions.

You just make ****** excuses why you think things won't work, like Rads needing a year to readjust to the NHL when that isn't necessarily true, at all.

And? Name one addition that Holland has made since Rafalski that has actually had an impact? And I liked Weiss a lot, not saying it speaks well to my judgement. And you haven't told me how Radulov changes this team's trajectory next season. Do you believe he takes this team from first round fodder to contender? And what is your justification for wanting to sign an expensive winger on a team that's actually pretty well set on wing? And why do it at the possible expense of improving other areas?

Personally I think Detroit needs to focus on either improving on the back end or down the middle. Wing and goaltending are actually areas of relative strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad