Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wasn’t it actually Ron delorme and Thomas Gradin who wanted him?

edit: yes.
Ben Kuzma: Delorme delivered first hard sell to get Pettersson on Canucks' draft radar | The Province
The scout in Sweden was actually that ex Leaf, Inge Hammastrom. You can go read the genesis of how we don’t get Petey if not for Linden and Bracket over in the management thread.
I’m just very thankful we don’t have to watch Petey do his magic on a different team like with some other guys we missed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Crazy how much his game has improved the past 5 games or so. Felt he had plateaued a bit since midway through his rookie season. Still productive and a good player, but not really taking games over like he had the first half of his rookie season.

But wow! Wasn't a lightswitch that went on, but a gawd damn bomb. Unbelievable how much his 200 foot game improved over the break. Not sure this kid has a ceiling tbh.

Petey has had an underwhelming season but the stats showed he was a consistent point producer. I think the broadcast said that he never went more than 2 games without a point in the regular season and never went more than 1 game without a point in this year's playoff. But ya, Petey is capable of taking over games and I hope he does it more often.

Reactions: MarkMM

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Petey has had an underwhelming season but the stats showed he was a consistent point producer. I think the broadcast said that he never went more than 2 games without a point in the regular season and never went more than 1 game without a point in this year's playoff. But ya, Petey is capable of taking over games and I hope he does it more often.
I guess underwhelming vs Freidman's MVP prediction. However, he was more consistent and stayed healthy this year, some were saying a 50 point sophomore year should be considered a success. I expected a ppg which he was very close to. however he needed Miller and Hughes' help to do it.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Looking back at those old draft threads is something else

Good suggestion. I read through some posts from Pettersson's draft and the reactions with the pick were interesting to read, such as this one...

Going to be funny quoting the people who love this pick when we look back and see Vilardi was the better pick.

Not picking on anybody. It's impossible to tell which picks will blossom and which won't.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Good suggestion. I read through some posts from Pettersson's draft and the reactions with the pick were interesting to read, such as this one...

Not picking on anybody. It's impossible to tell which picks will blossom and which won't.
I think it speaks to how North American centric a lot of posters here are. We don’t get the opportunity to watch European players. I feel when a European player is drafted that high, we should trust the scouts because they’ve seen them play. I even said in that draft thread that I trust our scouts. Swedish posters absolutely loved the pick too

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think it speaks to how North American centric a lot of posters here are. We don’t get the opportunity to watch European players. I feel when a European player is drafted that high, we should trust the scouts because they’ve seen them play. I even said in that draft thread that I trust our scouts. Swedish posters absolutely loved the pick too

That's the thing. North American scouts typically don't get to see prospects in Europe and European scouts don't typically get to see prospects in North America especially a GM. Unless there's a must watch player playing in the USHL, a GM doesn't have time to travel to say Sioux City to watch a player play. International tournaments are where everyone gets an opportunity to watch the same player at the same time. So it's kind of astonishing that the posters who fashion themselves as having an eye for talent who only go by what they have seen would be critical of Benning for preferring players he has personally seen more of when at the end of the day he was on board with the choice.

We've seen in those behind the scene videos that scouts, while not being rude to each other, have their own views on players they have watched. It's not some friendly get together. It's serious business where they have to put together a list under time constraints. At the end of the day,the scouting staff may be split between Glass and Petey but have to reach a point where they have to be comfortable ranking one player over another. Go watch behind the scenes video of other teams. Because a consensus (as to the rankings) have to be reached at the end of the day after all opinions have voiced it's a matter of "can we all agree to rank Petey ahead of Glass? Are you comfortable with that?" Reportedly the Canucks had Makar and Petey as the top 2 players so the idea that everyone wasn't on board with picking Petey over Glass seems a bit unbelievable to me.

It's like jury deliberations. Juries do reach a consensus but sometimes not after long deliberations and hard fought discussions.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Recently, there's been discussion about who gets credit for scouting a number of our recent players (EP, QH and VP). I know it's a proxy for the larger discussion for how good or bad a job Benning has done and how much credit he deserves for building this team. But I think it's important to consider this: The young nucleus of the team is now more or less set. This makes the job or scouting perhaps easier because it clarifies instructions for scouts (pro and amateur) in that they a concrete context from which to work: build the pipeline around actual players with contracts and timelines that set the timetable for when the prospects or free agency or trade is needed to replace them.

Long story short, looks like we're stuck with Benning for the foreseeable future. It's more important to look ahead and try and project out how well he'll perform now that the parameters for scouting are different (from building phase transitioning to refinement). Here, Benning's record has been more mixed, ranging from Eriksson to Miller, and is perhaps more relevant going forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
GMs and teams get a much clearer view of prospects with information that we simply don't have access to. Like how we all saw Vilardi as the second coming of Draisaitl but clearly his back (?) issues were recognized and flagged by teams, hence his big plummet out of the top 10 after being a top 3-5 ranked player even leading up to draft day

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
GMs and teams get a much clearer view of prospects with information that we simply don't have access to. Like how we all saw Vilardi as the second coming of Draisaitl but clearly his back (?) issues were recognized and flagged by teams, hence his big plummet out of the top 10 after being a top 3-5 ranked player even leading up to draft day
Vilardi’s skating was brought up as an issue too.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Please don't be hyperbolic or silly.
We try, but Pettersson makes it almost impossible not to. I mean, holy hell! Second hardest shot entering the league apart from Stamkos, while having that accuracy (holy shit, PING! Scores!), while dangling like that, while chasing MacKinnon in his prime for the scoring lead, in his first playoff, I mean... I know we should calm down, but... look at that bloody progression. He's still a young man and already he does all of this and that.

His only noticed detriment was his physicality. Well, opponents hit, grind and try to cheap shot him from the left to right. Minnesota (grinding team), St Louis (very grinding team), now Vegas? And he shines? Ok... how about that detriment? I can only laugh at this point. This shouldn't be possible!

I remember watching him in the World Championship about 2 years ago, getting manhandled by so many opponents. My thought: "Pff, he needs to grow, he looks like a loose mitten in the autumn wind." Oh boy was I wrong. He just needed to include that physicality of thinking the game. He has evolved. You don't need 200 lbs of muscles to dominate in a physical game if you're not where the opposing 200 lbs of muscle is. The opposing 200 lbs are looking where Petterson is, while he has schooled you in thinking the game. Or if you know how to prepare for impact. Very impressive stuff.

Opponents have on quote called him "squirt" to try to get him off his game. It hasn't worked, on the contrary. Well, he's a legendary squirt and he plays for Vancouver. When he gains some more muscles and explosiveness on that frame, he will be bloody ridiculous.

Any of you ever played Nintendo Ice Hockey in 1987? The fat guy, the "normal" guy and the slim guy? Well, Pettersson plays the roles of all of them, without the extra weight of the fat guy (and the hitting). How can a guy that small have that shot? We can freeze the questions just there. And that accuracy? I'm honestly baffled, only by his shot.

Right, I shouldn't be hyperbolic or silly? Well, sorry, I can't help it. In this case I will certainly have no problems sticking my neck out for claiming this guy is a thing for hockey legends. The last guy I stuck my neck out for was Lundqvist when he joined the Rangers in 2005. That wasn't a tough decision either when you run with your knowledge and guts. When you see star quality and all the components behind it clicking, it's easy. And I believe Pettersson is a bigger talent than Lundqvist.

Is it because I'm a Swede I only stick to Swedish players? No. But I get a head start on Swedish players and I'm not exactly a fast food joint when picking my consumption of brilliance in hockey. But do I have a soft spot for them? Sure. So what?

Last edited:
Reactions: VancouverJagger

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That's the thing. North American scouts typically don't get to see prospects in Europe and European scouts don't typically get to see prospects in North America especially a GM. Unless there's a must watch player playing in the USHL, a GM doesn't have time to travel to say Sioux City to watch a player play. International tournaments are where everyone gets an opportunity to watch the same player at the same time. So it's kind of astonishing that the posters who fashion themselves as having an eye for talent who only go by what they have seen would be critical of Benning for preferring players he has personally seen more of when at the end of the day he was on board with the choice.

We've seen in those behind the scene videos that scouts, while not being rude to each other, have their own views on players they have watched. It's not some friendly get together. It's serious business where they have to put together a list under time constraints. At the end of the day,the scouting staff may be split between Glass and Petey but have to reach a point where they have to be comfortable ranking one player over another. Go watch behind the scenes video of other teams. Because a consensus (as to the rankings) have to be reached at the end of the day after all opinions have voiced it's a matter of "can we all agree to rank Petey ahead of Glass? Are you comfortable with that?" Reportedly the Canucks had Makar and Petey as the top 2 players so the idea that everyone wasn't on board with picking Petey over Glass seems a bit unbelievable to me.

It's like jury deliberations. Juries do reach a consensus but sometimes not after long deliberations and hard fought discussions.
We have crossover scouts. They “crossover” to see the local scouts best prospective players, do there can be eyes on comparisons. Inge Hammarstrom was the initial local scout to see Petey. He then informed Bracket, who started the process of other eyes on Petey.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I honestly have a hard time believing that Ron Delorme was a part of any good scouting decisions, but good for him on this one I guess.

Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us had seen him,” recalled Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He was in my office and said ‘we’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense."

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We have crossover scouts. They “crossover” to see the local scouts best prospective players, do there can be eyes on comparisons. Inge Hammarstrom was the initial local scout to see Petey. He then informed Bracket, who started the process of other eyes on Petey.

We do. But was there mention of Canucks scouts flying over to Sweden to watch Petey play? Even so, that doesn't mean they get too many viewings of Petey. Even Gradin, I believe, has been based out of Vancouver for years now. I would think he flies over to Sweden now and then but you get the point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We do. But was there mention of Canucks scouts flying over to Sweden to watch Petey play? Even so, that doesn't mean they get too many viewings of Petey. Even Gradin, I believe, has been based out of Vancouver for years now. I would think he flies over to Sweden now and then but you get the point.
I agree. I am pointing out that Hammarstrom was the first guy to see Petey. Then he informed Bracket, who got others to see Petey play. Imo Petey coming from so far away, and Glass playing so close is why there was serious discussion during the draft meetings to make the team list of which player to rank higher.

Reactions: F A N

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is precisely the reason I stopped saying /predicting who we should draft , before the draft...Armchair scouts don't know the half of it.

Vilardi dropping to #15 or whatever it was , was perfect example of that....

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I would expect the head of amateur scouting to have massive influence on the 5th overall pick, yes.

LOL Yes, of course. But I would also expect the GM to have the final say.

Anyhow, thank our Lucky Larry's (see what I did there) that we have this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad