Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. VIII: Is actually an eight-brained octopoid monster from Planet Ånge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
I didn’t want to start a new thread, but imagine EP playing on the same line as Patrick Kane. Chi is on the down trend and they may want to consider moving their high priced assets. Kane makes 10.5 mil a season. What would it take to get him? A line of Kane-Pettersson-Boeser would rival Col top line and be so entertaining. We would have to give up quite a bit though. I’d love for EP to play with a LW that thinks the game very similarly to him.

Edit: If not Kane (Just noticed he’s almost 30, geez time is flying by), then maybe Panarin or a player of that elk. Goldobin isn’t close enough to EPs level.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I firmly believe Canucks need to spend up to their cap in the upcoming off season for high quality wingers to play in the top 6. Mark Stone and Anders Lee comes to mind.
Sorry, you're telling me that you trust a management group whose only successful free agent signing was Vrbata ( who was only good for only one season) to sign multiple players to more long term deals?

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I didn’t want to start a new thread, but imagine EP playing on the same line as Patrick Kane. Chi is on the down trend and they may want to consider moving their high priced assets. Kane makes 10.5 mil a season. What would it take to get him? A line of Kane-Pettersson-Boeser would rival Col top line and be so entertaining. We would have to give up quite a bit though. I’d love for EP to play with a LW that thinks the game very similarly to him.

Edit: If not Kane (Just noticed he’s almost 30, geez time is flying by), then maybe Panarin or a player of that elk. Goldobin isn’t close enough to EPs level.
If they hit UFA, Stone and Panarin would be prime targets for Pettersson's wing. Those guys probably have better opportunities elsewhere though.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
If they hit UFA, Stone and Panarin would be prime targets for Pettersson's wing. Those guys probably have better opportunities elsewhere though.

There are no better opportunities in the entire league right now than being on EP's wing.

But I am not for signing UFA .... more often than not they end up poorly. We have had very few ever work out, and lots of albatrosses.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Sorry, you're telling me that you trust a management group whose only successful free agent signing was Vrbata ( who was only good for only one season) to sign multiple players to more long term deals?
Vanek was a good signing as well.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
There are no better opportunities in the entire league right now than being on EP's wing.

But I am not for signing UFA .... more often than not they end up poorly. We have had very few ever work out, and lots of albatrosses.
This is what I was thinking. He creates so much space for his line mates and makes them so much better. Too bad Eriksson fell off a cliff. Eriksson in his prime would be a good fit also. I believe Panarin would be perfect for the role. Young, skilled and fast.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
The Canucks will have Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette and Dahlin in the line-up when healthy next year or the year after, that's a pretty young core, I could very easily see them spending some $ on a top 6 winger who's in their prime. Panarin, Anders lee, Duchene (i think he's played wing?), Brock Nelson. someone like that in the 27 - 28 age range.
I think it makes sense... you have one star winger for two top line center's in Horvat and Pettersson. Get in another legit top 6 threat and you'd have two very capable scoring lines.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
The Canucks will have Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette and Dahlin in the line-up when healthy next year or the year after, that's a pretty young core, I could very easily see them spending some $ on a top 6 winger who's in their prime. Panarin, Anders lee, Duchene (i think he's played wing?), Brock Nelson. someone like that in the 27 - 28 age range.
I think it makes sense... you have one star winger for two top line center's in Horvat and Pettersson. Get in another legit top 6 threat and you'd have two very capable scoring lines.
Agree with this, which is why as much as Benning negotiating a contract Stone would be a really good addition on either top 6 line. Plus like I said before, him in the slot on the power play as a right handed shot would be perfect as opposed to Baertschi or Goldobin we have used this year:

Goldobin/Dahlen-EP40-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Stone

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Wouldn’t playing on mcdavids Wing be a better choice?

Also the team isn’t ready for a high priced free agent addition, they need to re work the defense and the bottom 6. Id say goaltending also but marky/demko next year might be solid.

How’s Jaybo played this year (can’t believe he’s 35), but some solid puck movers would be a great add; Jake Gardiner for ex.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Wouldn’t playing on mcdavids Wing be a better choice?

Also the team isn’t ready for a high priced free agent addition, they need to re work the defense and the bottom 6. Id say goaltending also but marky/demko next year might be solid.

How’s Jaybo played this year (can’t believe he’s 35), but some solid puck movers would be a great add; Jake Gardiner for ex.

jaybo playing like echl level

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
jaybo playing like echl level

Man how time flies eh he used to be so good. I haven’t watched him and was going of name only, I’d probably sit out the top tier free agents and maybe only add a defensemen or two this year.

There’s no way Stone is worth the 7mil plus he’s gonna get.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Man how time flies eh he used to be so good. I haven’t watched him and was going of name only, I’d probably sit out the top tier free agents and maybe only add a defensemen or two this year.

Agree with that, as much as I see a fit for him here the cost needs to be around Horvat's deal for it to be worth it.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018

I'm not so sure that would be the right move. Look at the Leafs, they got a little ahead of themselves by signing Taveras while still choking on Marleau and Zaitsev's contracts and before re-signing Matthews and Nylander and fixing their defense and now they could have some real issues before they've even made it past the 1st round of the playoffs after tanking hard. Plus they'll need to address Marner soon and Gardiner.

I'd rather wait 2 more summers, maybe even 3, and see where they're at then.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

I'm down with Stone @ 7M if he gets back to last season form

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
You heard the Wings coach pregame: Their entire defensive scheme is centered around Pettersson.

I’m pretty annoyed that he’s basically the whole Canucks offense so teams can really zero in on him.

However it’s probably a good thing in the long term as if he can find ways to produce despite being the focal point of the other teams defensive efforts, it will only make him a more dangerous player when he has more teammates who can share the offensive load and take the focus away from him.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Leaf fan here, gosh you've got a fun talent to watch in EP.
(Hope you don't get Hughes next year :laugh:)
Enjoy him folks, I am.

Reactions: Love

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Mark Stone isn't worth 7 million, are you insane?

PPG winger with fantastic two-way acumen.

He's a top 5 player at his position in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad