Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. VII | Enjoys: Being Mr. Everything, pronouncing it "Peter-son"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't have any stats to back it up, but my impression is that rookies tend to cool off significantly in the 2nd half of the season due to not being used to the amount of games and the travel. I'd say 65-70 points is the most realistic expectation, so 60 points in the next 80 games.

I wouldn't be surprised if he slows down, but I don't think it will be for that reason.

He played 44 regular season + 13 playoff + 11 champion's league = 68 SHL games last year - those are men's league games, not CHL games against 16-19 year olds.

He also played 12 WJC/U-20 games, that he had to travel to NA for.

He also played 5 world championship games that was just injured in and had to spend some of the summer recovering.

Total of around 85 games last year, plus crossing the atlantic back and forth mid season.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if he slows down, but I don't think it will be for that reason.

He played 44 regular season + 13 playoff + 11 champion's league = 68 SHL games last year - those are men's league games, not CHL games against 16-19 year olds.

He also played 12 WJC games, that he had to travel to NA for.

He also played 5 world championship games that was just injured in and had to spend some of the summer recovering.

Total of around 85 games last year, plus crossing the atlantic back and forth mid season.
He looked gas at the whc and not his usual self. He is a year stronger now though

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Helluva start to his NHL career. I watched him in the WC’s last spring and while he displayed some nice flashes, he was nowhere near the player who has run roughshod through Calgary these two games. I don’t know what he did over the summer but he seems stronger on his skates and faster in his cuts and turns. I’ve never seen a Canuck debut like this, and that includes Bure.
Remember that worrysome narrative you had in the summer showcase after he was drafted? You were leaning that his struggles on NA ice could turn out to be and was looking like a poor selection.

I'm gonna asume you don't feel that way anymore?

Don't take it hard im just bustin your balls and i had some going into the draft......this is why you should have some patience though. Some players walk through levels and some can take a few years.

I think we legit have a 1c going forward. That play through Stone was incredible as was some of his escapability moves and his reads even in his own zone....this guy has quite possibly the highest ceiling of any Canuck since Bure. He's deceptive in his sleep. Count me in as blown away.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'd imagine he slows down a bit once word gets out around the league. It's pretty well already out, they just don't know how to stop him yet. Brock was pretty easy to figure out and he'll have to adapt his game. Elias has a thousand different weapons at his disposal, which makes him a much more dangerous player.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Goldobin-Pettersson-Kakko
Dahlen-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Or

Dahlen-Pettersson-Goldobin
Baertschi-J.Hughes-Boeser
Leipsic-Horvat-Virtanen

I'm fine with either just tank this year for the love of god

Reactions: THE Green Man

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'd imagine he slows down a bit once word gets out around the league. It's pretty well already out, they just don't know how to stop him yet. Brock was pretty easy to figure out and he'll have to adapt his game. Elias has a thousand different weapons at his disposal, which makes him a much more dangerous player.

Brock is hurt.
There isnt that much to figure out when he has his shot at 100%.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
didnt corey pronman rank EP40 was the 9th best prospect going into this season? And heisikanen 15th? lol

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Remember that worrysome narrative you had in the summer showcase after he was drafted? You were leaning that his struggles on NA ice could turn out to be and was looking like a poor selection.

I'm gonna asume you don't feel that way anymore?

Don't take it hard im just bustin your balls and i had some going into the draft......this is why you should have some patience though. Some players walk through levels and some can take a few years.

I think we legit have a 1c going forward. That play through Stone was incredible as was some of his escapability moves and his reads even in his own zone....this guy has quite possibly the highest ceiling of any Canuck since Bure. He's deceptive in his sleep. Count me in as blown away.

Ya that’s how I felt at the time in light of what I was seeing and I don’t apologize for that. In this case it didn’t predict the players outcome, in other cases it does. If you follow prospects and state opinions about them based on what they are showing then there will be times you are going to be wrong. It doesn’t bother me particularly, esp since in this case being wrong means having a fantastic young talent to watch and cheer for. But being patient doesn’t mean viewing every prospect as a future NHLer regardless of what they are showing at the time. Otherwise you might as well not follow prospects or discuss them at all, but simply sit back and cheer the ones that make it and forget about the ones that don’t. Which is fine, that’s what a lot of casual fans do and no doubt it’s an easier form of fandom. But those of us on this board have a peculiar inclination towards following and discussing prospects long before they make the bigs. So as far as I see it’s all par for the course.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
I'm anti-Benning for sure but I have to admit that the hype train for this kid is off the rails. Even after he settles down from his 123 goal pace, he might be the best draft pick we've made since the Sedins. Benning had the foresight to listen to Gradin on this kid so I will ... give him credit.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Coming in the soon I can't wait to see Pettersson play next game, against a team other than mine!

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Coming in the soon I can't wait to see Pettersson play next game, against a team other than mine!
Vancouver / Carolina, Tuesday night. Are you hoping he embarrasses Micheal Ferland and Dougie Hamilton? I'm hoping he embarrasses Micheal Ferland and Dougie Hamilton.

Reactions: Czarchuk

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Vancouver / Carolina, Tuesday night. Are you hoping he embarrasses Micheal Ferland and Dougie Hamilton? I'm hoping he embarrasses Micheal Ferland and Dougie Hamilton.

I wouldn't say that, Ferland and Hamilton have been pretty dang good on their new team. I would love to see Pettersson dangle Hamilton though. Nothing against him at all, I just think it would be great.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Ridiculous all the people who said he could never play center at the NHL level, or that they would start him on the wing.

Most of us who have been fans for awhile have been burned too many times...We wanted to believe, but the pain is real. Even now I have to pinch myself to think he could be as good as we all hoped he was.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The trepidation was real and valid - he only got a look at centre late into the SHL season (though he didn't miss a beat). Obviously he's been putting that trepidation to bed with his "Baby Groot version of Pavel Datsyuk" act to start his NHL career

Last edited:

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Funny, I went through it and thought most people were fairly ok with the pick. Some super excited, most saying Pettersson wasn’t their top pick but he was an intriguing pick. A couple did freak out, one quite emphatically.

Not as bad as you’re suggesting.
You were pretty negative about his weight.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
At age 19, 2 games into his nhl career, Pettersson is displaying the hockey iq of the Sedins while being faster and more fluid on his skates, having superior stickhandling, and a craftier, and better shot. He is displaying hints of Datsuk and Bure. In the 18 years I’ve been a hockey fan I have never seen a Canuck pull off some of the moves Pettersson made in tight spaces yesterday.

Pessimistic me wonders if he can keep up this level of play all season. Omptimistic me wonders how much better he can get.

Reactions: Kreator

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Going through the 1st thread, jack burton was the first one calling for every one to be fired over the pick. The guy that complains about every move Benning has ever done.:nod:

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I questioned his ability to play at 160 lbs, yes.

I also understand that in your eyes everything that isn’t unquestioningly positive is negative.

I am pretty surprised how strong he is on his skates in this league at 170 whatever he exactly is. It should have been a concern for most, as it “could” make it easier to contain him. It appears so far not to hinder his game and if he naturally can get to a 180 something he could be filthy at both ends of the ice.

Reactions: CanaFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad