Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He's placing peer pressure on other players too as a result of his 200 ft game. If he can do it at 170 lbs, and still dominate the team in scoring and be up with the league leaders, why can't others play 2 ways? His teammates are seeing this.

I thought Bo was a hell of a leader for this team, and a natural captain, I am wondering if the "C" is going to Elias in 2 years....he just does it all and is inspiring his teammates through his skill and determination to get better. We have a real superstar for the first time in Canucks history. Bure was an elite star, a game changer and exciting as hell, but a one way player. Elias is not only a game changer but a game 'dominator'....In the likes of Gretz, Mario, Yzerman, Sid, etc.....he is that good.
I think either Bo or him for captain.

I mean we give it to Gudbranson because apparently hes captain material although hes a lazy f*** on the ice and doesnt lead by example.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I think either Bo or him for captain.

I mean we give it to Gudbranson because apparently hes captain material although hes a lazy **** on the ice and doesnt lead by example.

It should be EP. Not solely because he's the best player on the team by a country mile, but also because at 19, he already speaks with so much poise and maturity well beyond his years. I definitely think he's captain material, even as soon as this next off-season.

Reactions: NucksRock

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I agree that it is wise to try to temper expectations regarding Pettersson. But it is also clear that this is not just a hotstreak...he was playing this way basically all of last season in Sweden and took home basically every award possible. If its a hotstreak it is one that is going on 14 months now.
It's a good question. What makes something a "hot streak"?

I mean Gretzkys entire career was a hot streak.

Its probably helpful for people to define what areas they think Petterson will "struggle" in.

People bring up his shooting % going back down to normal eg ~10%. So does that mean hes going from ~80 goal pace now to ~20 goal pace.

Is Petterson a 20 goal a season player?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's a good question. What makes something a "hot streak"?

I mean Gretzkys entire career was a hot streak.

Its probably helpful for people to define what areas they think Petterson will "struggle" in.

People bring up his shooting % going back down to normal eg ~10%. So does that mean hes going from ~80 goal pace now to ~20 goal pace.

Is Petterson a 20 goal a season player?

Who on earth said 10%? 15-20 for a single season is entirely reasonable.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It should be EP. Not solely because he's the best player on the team by a country mile, but also because at 19, he already speaks with so much poise and maturity well beyond his years. I definitely think he's captain material, even as soon as this next off-season.
Agree 100%. There is something about him... his calmness and maturity. No doubt in my mind he’s built to be a captain.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I dont particularly care about verbal communication aspect as I do the leadership by example.

As was pointed out he is always playing whether its in front of his own net or theirs and everywhere in between.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Pettersson shot percentage is unsustainably high, eriksson and Goldobin have unsustainably low shooting percentages and have flubbed good chances.

In that sense, it kinda evens out. He has more goals but also has less assists than he should.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm not good at player comparisons but EP reminds me of 2006 playoff Zetterberg, who scored 6 goals in 6 games and was far and away the best player on a team which got f***ing embarrassed by a #8 seed

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
10% is not an "oft quoted number." Nobody thinks Pettersson true talent is 10. It's silly and in the context of your post it makes a difference. Do the math and youre still looking at 35-40 goals, not 20.
It is an "oft quoted number" the league average is just below 10%. There are plenty of articles that note this.

Top goal scorers vary from higher % shooters like a Stamkos to nears to 10% shooters like Ovechkin.

People have argued that he cant sustain this production because his shooting percentage will move to the norm.

He has 10 goals in 10 games or an ~80 goal season with 40% shooting.

The question of what his shooting percentage will be over time is largely irrelevant what matters is how many *goals * he has the potential to get. Based in the quality of his wrist and slap shots as well as the quality his set up and releases of *both* of those I don't see 4o goals out of the question.

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/5057624-take-a-look-at-these-outrageous-nhl-shooting-percentages

Of all active players, only 11 have a career percentage greater than 14%*: Steven Stamkos, Brad Marchand, Jiri Hudler, Jonathan Toews, Milan Lucic, Sidney Crosby, Mike Ribiero, Thomas Vanek, Troy Brouwer, Joe Thornton and Jordan Eberle.

The league's average shooting percentage over the past four seasons is 8.9%, and there are currently 48 players scoring at or above 20% this year, and 17 of which have scored six or more goals.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Pettersson shot percentage is unsustainably high, eriksson and Goldobin have unsustainably low shooting percentages and have flubbed good chances.

In that sense, it kinda evens out. He has more goals but also has less assists than he should.
His shot % will level out. Whether that is closer to 10 or 20% remains to be seen. From what I have seen I suspect towards the higher end. But he will also probably shoot more. Hes at 28 shots in 10 games.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Goldobin might not be nhl calibre in which case his shooting % is entirely sustainable

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

In that situation you would need to look at his on ice shooting%, anyway have the numbers?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Pettersson's OISH% at 5v5 is 12.82, second amongst team regulars.
Doesn't seem that extraordinarily high.

How does that compare against other high end players? Is that considered high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad