Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Doesn't seem that extraordinarily high.

How does that compare against other high end players? Is that considered high?

46th amongst players who have played at least 50 5v5 minutes. Exact same number as Tavares, Galchenyuk and Dadonov.

z802x7j.jpg

Here's some of the players above him. The top of the list is mostly sheltered fringe players, probably should've had a different minimum TOI.

This isn't a stat I'm particularly familiar with but my guess is that he'll probably be able to stay in the same sort of range.

Reactions: Peen

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Cringing anytime I see comparisons and comments here or anywhere else where McDavid and Matthews are brought up as it is and then you see things like comparing his shot last night to a Gretzky goal and I just wish people would reel it in a bit. Not going to lie, when he scored I laughed and the first thing I thought of was how many times I saw that exact shot from Gretzky lol.

Were you cringing when people called McDavid a generational player before he even played a game?

These people, at least that I can see, aren't saying after 10 games that Pettersson is as good/better than McDavid full stop. They're saying that the sky is the limit with this kid and he could be just as good as these players based on what we've seen so far. This is an extremely reasonable statement. The only deficiency in his game so far is his size. This may change, he may be hot right now and then bust. People aren't unironically saying "it's over, Pettersson > McDavid move aside trashcan", they're saying he could potentially be just as good as McDavid.

I cringe far more when people say "wow this guy could be the 2nd/3rd best player in the league behind McDavid/Matthews". Why? Because he wasn't 1st overall? I'm not saying he is or will ever be better than those two players, especially McDavid, but I do think the potential is there to be every bit as good. I'm not saying he is or definitely will be, I'm just saying his ceiling is as high as anyone's and arbitrarily putting a ceiling of just under McDavid or even Matthews because of who they are is silly. When someone compares his shot to a Gretzky shot, that doesn't mean they think he is every bit as good as Gretzky either.

I would say people should "reel it in a bit" but aside from high hopes I have yet to see a single person claim that he will definitely be as good as McDavid rather than saying he could be if he keeps up his pace and keeps developing at the rate he has over the past few years.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
46th amongst players who have played at least 50 5v5 minutes. Exact same number as Tavares, Galchenyuk and Dadonov.

z802x7j.jpg

Here's some of the players above him. The top of the list is mostly sheltered fringe players, probably should've had a different minimum TOI.

This isn't a stat I'm particularly familiar with but my guess is that he'll probably be able to stay in the same sort of range.

Does anyone know if the OISH% includes his shooting percent at 40%, if it includes his higher shooting percent it means his line mates have really drgged him down in terms of assists.

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This is a stat I found and I'd like to see how this holds up throughout the season, because I really have no idea if this is the kind of thing that "comes back down to earth", but on paper it's ridiculous and at the moment it speaks volumes about Pettersson's shooting efficiency.

23/29 (79.3%) 5v5 Shot Attempts from Pettersson have actually made their way to the goalie. For reference, here's 10 other players who are pretty unanimously considered to be a part of the upper echelon of shooting.

Alex Ovechkin - 31/68 (45.6%)
Patrik Laine - 30/47 (63.8%)
Auston Matthews - 28/46 (60.9%)
Jack Eichel - 38/52 (73.0%)
Steven Stamkos - 30/47 (63.8%)
Nikita Kucherov - 21/43 (48.8%)
Sidney Crosby - 34/49 (69.3%)
Jamie Benn - 28/55 (50.9%)
Tyler Seguin - 35/59 (59.3%)
Nathan MacKinnon - 44/64 (68.8%)

I checked last year's as well amongst forwards with at least 500 minutes of TOI and the best one I could find is Evander Kane who went 220/348 (63%), so my guess is that it'll probably drop.

Also might have to find out where exactly most of these players are shooting from as well.

Last edited:

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Does anyone know if the OISH% includes his shooting percent at 40%, if it includes his higher shooting percent it means his line mates have really drgged him down in terms of assists.

OISH% is the shooting percentage of the entire team when a certain player is on the ice, so yes it includes his current SH% of 35.7.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don't know where to post this so I'll throw it here as it is somewhat related to EP and the talk about how Euro leagues are softer and easier to play in:

CHL game between Mannheim and Brynäs.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
It should be EP. Not solely because he's the best player on the team by a country mile, but also because at 19, he already speaks with so much poise and maturity well beyond his years. I definitely think he's captain material, even as soon as this next off-season.
A good problem to have regardless! Love how Benning is drafting skill with Character

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Sure, if he puts up 130 points, we can begin to throw around the word generational.

But there's not a lot of evidence for him keeping up this pace.
What was the evidence of Mcdavid? Junior and alot of hype from the media?

So the media misses it, because the kid is hidden from their eye in Europe and so he's not generational?

What's the definition of generational? What you do on the ice or what the media says about you before you're drafted and your draft position?

Or is it breaking Peter Forsberg's, the Sedin's, and Kent Nilsson's records as an 18 yr old in a mens league, and arguably the second best league in the world?

Reactions: daddyohsix

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
I'm not good at player comparisons but EP reminds me of 2006 playoff Zetterberg, who scored 6 goals in 6 games and was far and away the best player on a team which got ****ing embarrassed by a #8 seed
He plays like Datsyuk in my view

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Pettersson shot percentage is unsustainably high, eriksson and Goldobin have unsustainably low shooting percentages and have flubbed good chances.

In that sense, it kinda evens out. He has more goals but also has less assists than he should.
Players on "good" lines seems to get about 0,5 PPG in secondary assists. If EP would have gotten that, he would have had 20 points by now...

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
He takes so many accidentally-on-purpose shots from opposing role players. Needs to start pulling a Crobsy and just slashing the **** out of anyone who looks at him wrong.
He actually did this a bit in the Minnesota game. Fehr was giving him little digs all game- nothing over the top but still enough to get under his skin. He went back at him a bit in the slot mid way through the 2nd. It seems like he needs to protect himself since big bad Gudbrandson seems to tuck his tail between his legs. Hell help team tank and go full Kessel VS John Scott for all I care.

Reactions: Tv9924 and Buzzguy

Mauler

Dec 19, 2015
I am a little worried Canucks face Bruins today and i have a feeling they will watch EP40 like a hawk and try to rough him up to take him out of the game it is the Bruins after all

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
His shot % will level out. Whether that is closer to 10 or 20% remains to be seen. From what I have seen I suspect towards the higher end. But he will also probably shoot more. Hes at 28 shots in 10 games.

Yeah, I think he has the potential to end up with a high-end career shooting percentage such as 15+%. He has around a 23% shooting percentage during the past three seasons (including this one) over 277 shots. While that includes lower level leagues, his shot has also become noticeably better since the beginning of that period.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
This is a stat I found and I'd like to see how this holds up throughout the season, because I really have no idea if this is the kind of thing that "comes back down to earth", but on paper it's ridiculous and at the moment it speaks volumes about Pettersson's shooting efficiency.

23/29 (79.3%) 5v5 Shot Attempts from Pettersson have actually made their way to the goalie. For reference, here's 10 other players who are pretty unanimously considered to be a part of the upper echelon of shooting.

Alex Ovechkin - 31/68 (45.6%)
Patrik Laine - 30/47 (63.8%)
Auston Matthews - 28/46 (60.9%)
Jack Eichel - 38/52 (73.0%)
Steven Stamkos - 30/47 (63.8%)
Nikita Kucherov - 21/43 (48.8%)
Sidney Crosby - 34/49 (69.3%)
Jamie Benn - 28/55 (50.9%)
Tyler Seguin - 35/59 (59.3%)
Nathan MacKinnon - 44/64 (68.8%)

I checked last year's as well amongst forwards with at least 500 minutes of TOI and the best one I could find is Evander Kane who went 220/348 (63%), so my guess is that it'll probably drop.

Also might have to find out where exactly most of these players are shooting from as well.

Very interesting. These are the kind of stats that go hand in hand with averaging a goal a game. If he goes into a slump eventually and the madness stops, this type of stat will I'm sure return to something semi-normal. But we've never seen him in a slump.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
So speaking pof the "power" of Elias Pettersson...

I was in LA and went to the Kings, Ducks game Tuesday night... Ducks Defenseman Pettersson had the puck at the point... I yell "Elias!!" really loud. I cranks it and Kesler tips it in... coincidence? I think not! Pettersson has no game boundaries it seems.His influence is everywhere!

But seriously it was kinda funny.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
This is just me, 45 years old, watched lots of hockey... I see so much gretzky in his game honestly. I wish they would just bring up Dahlen, cause he can score vs Ericksson and Goldobin.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It should be EP. Not solely because he's the best player on the team by a country mile, but also because at 19, he already speaks with so much poise and maturity well beyond his years. I definitely think he's captain material, even as soon as this next off-season.

Even though EP is the best player on the team by a country mile, the captain doesn’t necessarily have to be. Bo is a little older with a bit more experience in the league and english is his native language. Would rather have Bo do the media obligations while EP focuses on lighting the league on fire.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
The captaincy doesn't have to go to Pettersson. Hawks did just fine winning 3 cups in 6 years with Toews as their captain over Kane. Kings did just fine winning 2 cups in 3 years with Brown as their captain over Kopitar. Let Pettersson focus on playing his game.

Reactions: THE Green Man

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I am a little worried Canucks face Bruins today and i have a feeling they will watch EP40 like a hawk and try to rough him up to take him out of the game it is the Bruins after all

The Bruins are a skill + possession team now. The 2011 team is 7 years in the rear view mirror and we need to stop conflating the current team with our insecurities caused by the SCF.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
He plays like Datsyuk in my view

He does remind me of Datsyuk except EP has a lethal shot in his arsenal. But like a poster said before Pettersson is Pettersson. 10 Goals & 16 points in 10 games is amazing but what really stands out is his defensive game. It’s insane for a 19 year old rookie playing centre for the first time. The way he picks up on things, the pace is crazy, for example his faceoff percentage has drastically improved in weeks. Kids IQ is off the charts. His +6 also leads the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: NucksRock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad