Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Have no idea what kind of players Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen or Makar may become....Heiskanen is looking like a stud d-men so far in Dallas. But if there was 'do-over' on the 2017 draft based on one year of hindsight, Pettersson would the clear first overall pick. And it wouldn't even be close.

AIWEBC just doesn't have the same ring as AINEC.

Anyway, you would be right, AIWEBC.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
So the only reason reason we can't say he's as good as McDavid or Matthews is because the media had no clue because he played in Sweden and he didn't have hype right?

Because if you step back , that's the ONLY difference. Points wise, he's right there, if not better. Just because a European player was 'missed' as a generational talent by pundits and the media, doesn't mean he isn't - his play dictates that. You realize he did break the records set by Forsberg, the Sedins, and Kent Nilsson at 18 in the SHL right? Those are some pretty heavy shoes to fill, this isn't a fluke.

Media doesn't make a player great, what he does on the ice does. And yes Canucks fans can have nice things. The idea that we can't mention him in the same breath is nonsense if you watch him play. Its not a 'fluke' its not a 'hot streak' - the kid is a generational talent and we stole him.

Lol, relax. I'm pretty confident I have a good take on what we have here, as my previous posts on Pettersson would suggest.

Consistencee

Feb 23, 2017
We don't deserve nice things.

We luck out and get an amazing talent and 15 games in we already have (certain) fans screaming about how he's better than every other generational player (past and present) that has ever played. Comparing is fine but lord this is getting a bit much.

He's something special for SURE but why is it so unreasonable to maybe let him... I don't know, play a full season and see how consistent he can be?

This shit reminds me of the Matthews/Laine war a few years back. Bunch of people getting worked up about 'my dad is cooler than your dad'. Gross.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

We luck out and get an amazing talent and 15 games in we already have (certain) fans screaming about how he's better than every other generational player (past and present) that has ever played. Comparing is fine but lord this is getting a bit much.

He's something special for SURE but why is it so unreasonable to maybe let him... I don't know, play a full season and see how consistent he can be?

This **** reminds me of the Matthews/Laine war a few years back. Bunch of people getting worked up about 'my dad is cooler than your dad'. Gross.

Yup. No idea why people are so obsessed with this crap.

If you're sitting here saying he's as good as McDavid after 10 games where he's shooting 40% you deserve a smack upside the head. Just the same as the people claiming BOESER>> MATTHEWS did last year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yup. No idea why people are so obsessed with this crap.

If you're sitting here saying he's as good as McDavid after 10 games where he's shooting 40% you deserve a smack upside the head. Just the same as the people claiming BOESER>> MATTHEWS did last year.

I don't get it either. Make the comparison when there is a stronger track record. That said, it's important to note that the media is pushing this euphoria as well, when Satiar Shah is effectively saying "why can't we call him generational already? Screw Toronto". That type of commentary gets people in a fervour.

For me, Pettersson is almost an afterthought... As in, I know he's a key building block. Good, that's 3 down and 4 more to go. It's the other players that concern me more. Is Juolevi going to be a top4? Is Demko going to be a #1? Hughes a #2? etc... There is so much more that has to go right for VAN fans to even consider that the heavy lifting has been done.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
*watches Pettersson*

“What an exciting player! I’m excited! The only thing that could ruin this great mood I’m in is if someone else is too excited about this player in my opinion...”

*checks hfboards*

“Oh Dear God! I must put a stop to this injustice of injustices and prescribe violence against these fans who are being way too excited about this player!”

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
So the only reason reason we can't say he's as good as McDavid or Matthews is because the media had no clue because he played in Sweden and he didn't have hype right?

Because if you step back , that's the ONLY difference. Points wise, he's right there, if not better. Just because a European player was 'missed' as a generational talent by pundits and the media, doesn't mean he isn't - his play dictates that. You realize he did break the records set by Forsberg, the Sedins, and Kent Nilsson at 18 in the SHL right? Those are some pretty heavy shoes to fill, this isn't a fluke.

Media doesn't make a player great, what he does on the ice does. And yes Canucks fans can have nice things. The idea that we can't mention him in the same breath is nonsense if you watch him play. Its not a 'fluke' its not a 'hot streak' - the kid is a generational talent and we stole him.

Totally agree. On a side note, you have the best username on hfboards.

Reactions: NucksRock

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Sure, if he puts up 130 points, we can begin to throw around the word generational.

But there's not a lot of evidence for him keeping up this pace.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

This **** reminds me of the Matthews/Laine war a few years back. Bunch of people getting worked up about 'my dad is cooler than your dad'. Gross.
I’d bet $ it’s the younger fans on here. They have less exposure to cycles whether it’s team results or player development. Things aren’t always linear. No offence to the young folks on here. You are the future ;)

Reactions: NucksRock

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I don't get it either. Make the comparison when there is a stronger track record. That said, it's important to note that the media is pushing this euphoria as well, when Satiar Shah is effectively saying "why can't we call him generational already? Screw Toronto". That type of commentary gets people in a fervour.

For me, Pettersson is almost an afterthought... As in, I know he's a key building block. Good, that's 3 down and 4 more to go. It's the other players that concern me more. Is Juolevi going to be a top4? Is Demko going to be a #1? Hughes a #2? etc... There is so much more that has to go right for VAN fans to even consider that the heavy lifting has been done.

Nothing like a little "screw Toronto" commentary to stir up the locals. I was talking to an ex-coworker out there a few weeks back and in light of the Nylander stalemate and the Leafs ongoing need for help on defense, he thought a Nylander-Tanev deal may work if the Canucks added Pettersson and the Leafs included a minor league defenseman and cap dump to even things up a bit.

He also insisted Horvat wouldn't resign here, just before he was actually extended, as his childhood dream was to play for the Leafs. I was hoping he would post on this site just for the amusement factor.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Nothing like a little "screw Toronto" commentary to stir up the locals. I was talking to an ex-coworker out there a few weeks back and in light of the Nylander stalemate and the Leafs ongoing need for help on defense, he thought a Nylander-Tanev deal may work if the Canucks added Pettersson and the Leafs included a minor league defenseman and cap dump to even things up a bit.

He also insisted Horvat wouldn't resign here, just before he was actually extended, as his childhood dream was to play for the Leafs. I was hoping he would post on this site just for the amusement factor.

What a joke! There would have to be a large add to Nylander to pry Pettersson from the Canucks. Something like Marner or Mathews, maybe both.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
What a joke! There would have to be a large add to Nylander to pry Pettersson from the Canucks. Something like Marner or Mathews, maybe both.

It got better with this guy, I set him off by telling him the Coyotes were going to offer sheet Matthews, they'd already been talking through family and whatnot, and I had been tipped off by somebody he also knows, who is connected to the Coyotes organization. Talk about someone completely losing his shit.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It’s all good to boast about Pettersson in the Canucks section, but let’s all refrain from doing it on the main boards. The best compliment is if someone other than a Canucks fan gives him praise. We have a great one in Elite Pete, let’s enjoy it without the BS comparisons.

Reactions: peatmoss

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
*watches Pettersson*

“What an exciting player! I’m excited! The only thing that could ruin this great mood I’m in is if someone else is too excited about this player in my opinion...”

*checks hfboards*

“Oh Dear God! I must put a stop to this injustice of injustices and prescribe violence against these fans who are being way too excited about this player!”

Reasonable opinion:

'Wow, Pettersson looks really good! I'm excited. If he can keep this up in the longer term, it will be interesting to discuss where he fits in the upper echelon of NHL players.'

f***ing moronic opinion:

'BASED ON THIS 10 GAME SAMPLE WITH A HUGELY INFLATED SHOOTING PERCENTAGE PETTERSSON IS AS GOOD AS CONNOR MCDAVID! TIME TO ACT LIKE A SMALL CHILD AND YELL AT ALL THE OTHER FANS AROUND THE LEAGUE ABOUT HOW OUR GUY IS THE BESTEST EVER!!!'

And again, you'd think these people would have learned after spewing all the BOESER>>>MATTHEWS AND LAINE stuff at the same time last year.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
He takes so many accidentally-on-purpose shots from opposing role players. Needs to start pulling a Crobsy and just slashing the f*** out of anyone who looks at him wrong.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

every fan base does it.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Nah go ape shit for Pettersson. This type of player can take up to a decade to get.

Oiler fans had fun with McDavid

Leaf fans had fun with Matthews

it's our turn now

let your imagination run wild, keep beefing with other teams fans on mainboard for my and others entertainment

Reactions: Literally and BB6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->