Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Could you imagine a line of M.Tkachuk -petey - and boeser? Would dominate the league; hopefully juolevi pans out...
giphy.gif

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
You need to move on from it. Since he made the flames right away, he was likely good enough to also make the Canucks, make the Canucks that year unlikely we finish 2nd last which means highly unlikely there is a pettersson today.

THIS!

When the OJ pick was announced, I literally shouted in my car (with my daughter and her friend in it), swore and slammed the steering wheel over and over again. I swore not to spend a dime on the team (had already decided this), and was so irrationally angry. Had to explain to my daughter what I was on about and how awful the pick was.

Now I hope for the best for him and the team, but it was an awful decision, IMO, at the time.

But had we picked MT, everything changes and we don't have an EP (likely) to worry about which wingers he should be playing with. Things happen for a reason, good and bad.

Happy to have EP now...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
THIS!

When the OJ pick was announced, I literally shouted in my car (with my daughter and her friend in it), swore and slammed the steering wheel over and over again. I swore not to spend a dime on the team (had already decided this), and was so irrationally angry. Had to explain to my daughter what I was on about and how awful the pick was.

Now I hope for the best for him and the team, but it was an awful decision, IMO, at the time.

But had we picked MT, everything changes and we don't have an EP (likely) to worry about which wingers he should be playing with. Things happen for a reason, good and bad.

Happy to have EP now...

Your daughters friend probably thinks you’re crazy.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
The struggle to find a linemate who can capitalize on the opportunities that Pettersson creates must make everyone appreciate the fact that the Sedins had each other.

There were two Sedins. That was the elite duo. There is just one Pettersson, just as there was one Bure. It's much harder to do it all alone.

Elias might just have to start putting more pucks on goal if nothing is happening for his linemates.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Maybe it's time to form a "super line". EP, Horvat and Boeser? That will also make other players rely on themselves instead of others and may boost everyones confidence. This is what others do when they lack depth...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Maybe it's time to form a "super line". EP, Horvat and Boeser? That will also make other players rely on themselves instead of others and may boost everyones confidence. This is what others do when they lack depth...

I've thought this for a while. I don't think we have the depth to "spread it around", but at the same time we might not even have the depth to lose EP at C, then again he isn't killing it right now. Not really his fault, but if his linemates aren't finishing then what's the point in not loading up one line?

I'm not sure if it's as necessary when Boeser is back though. Pettersson and Boeser might be able to carry their line while Horvat so far is doing very well carrying his line. I think Horvat is our best player, even better than Pettersson right now given how Horvat is being utilized and how he's still producing in that role.

Until Boeser is back though I'd put Horvat with Pettersson and Virtanen or Goldobin. Even if Virtanen doesn't mesh with Pettersson, and honestly I don't think he was the problem with that line, with Horvat for Pettersson to work with it might be just fine.

Last edited:

E40

Nov 18, 2018
We need a super powered- complimentary piece a la Anson Carter/burrows. We already have Boeser on Pettersons level, but an unexpected surprise that can finish Pettersons gifts would sure give more options to throw Boeser to Horvats line when needed.

Maybe Gagner can be Petey boys Anson Carter

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We need a super powered- complimentary piece a la Anson Carter/burrows. We already have Boeser on Pettersons level, but an unexpected surprise that can finish Pettersons gifts would sure give more options to throw Boeser to Horvats line when needed.

Ideally it would involve a strong forechecker for pick retrieval, who plays with tenacity and can pot garbage goals near the crease off rebounds. Could end up being a player like Gaudette or Madden.

Reactions: vanarchy

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

I can see Lockwood fitting the bill. Blazing speed, good skill, good shot, high IQ. A bit undersized but so is PBP.

Kassian is another option. Good IQ can handle Petey’s Passes and fight anyone who tries to push around our stars.

E40

Nov 18, 2018
In our perfect world Virtanen could be the guy, but he's like a train on a track. Skate in with speed and do his circle jerk. Opposing D can just let him do that all day knowing Pouliot or Del zotto won't do much when Jake inevitably throws it back to the blue line.

If he only used his strength and pumped his brakes a bit and make the D have to engage him. What Petterson could do with an extra second or two of space could be huge

E40

Nov 18, 2018
I can see Lockwood fitting the bill. Blazing speed, good skill, good shot, high IQ. A bit undersized but so is PBP.

Kassian is another option. Good IQ can handle Petey’s Passes and fight anyone who tries to push around our stars.

Kassian is interesting for sure. Can skate, right shot and not afraid to drive the net. If I remember correctly, was a decent passer. Might make for some good give and go plays

He'd be great protection for the kid

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Kassian is interesting for sure. Can skate, right shot and not afraid to drive the net. If I remember correctly, was a decent passer. Might make for some good give and go plays

Kassian is lazy, inconsistent and plays a perimeter game. No thanks.

The perfect line mate for EP40 is Wayne Simmonds.

Skilled, goes to the dirty areas,tough as nails and oozes passion.

Would cost too much in a trade or as ufa this summer.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

I’d be very concerned he would reconnect with his old crew. Would be bad for him personally and the team

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I think we should aim higher than an Anson Carter/Burrows type on Petterssons line if we want to unleash his full potential.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I think we should aim higher than an Anson Carter/Burrows type on Petterssons line if we want to unleash his full potential.

Isn't it great to be worrying about finding a top level winger to play with an elite skilled guy like this rather than just worrying about finding any player who can help at all? This guy, and a couple of others, give me the first hope I have had for the future in a long time. Still acknowledging Boeser and Horvat, this guy is a game changer and what a foundational player looks like. As he gets stronger, he is a piece you look to compliment. Exciting.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Isn't it great to be worrying about finding a top level winger to play with an elite skilled guy like this rather than just worrying about finding any player who can help at all? This guy, and a couple of others, give me the first hope I have had for the future in a long time. Still acknowledging Boeser and Horvat, this guy is a game changer and what a foundational player looks like. As he gets stronger, he is a piece you look to compliment. Exciting.

Oh agreed 100%. The first step is getting one of these kind of players, then the next step is maximizing their potential and surrounding them with the right pieces to succeed, which is the biggest worry I have with our current management group.

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
I really doubt the Canucks would pass on Jack Hughes if they won the lottery.
Wouldn't be upset with that, but I didn't specify which lottery pick they'd be winning :P If Hughes is the consensus/BPA pick absolutely take him, but if its even? I sorta hope that the Canucks either take Kakko, or have Hughes taken the pick before if they got 2nd overall.

E40

Nov 18, 2018

Ideally, absolutely we should. Was thinking more of short term band aid solution.

Tkachuk from cgy would be perfect but that's a different reality.

I'd like Simmonds as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad