Proposal: Elias Lindholm to Minnesota

Bond

May 10, 2012
From Minnesota's POV, our top center is Victor Rask, so some people are extra motivated to acquire a top 6 center.
From Calgary's POV, he's their top center, and if they move him, they won't be faring much better than Minnesota, so they need to be highly incentivized to move him.
Yup, just not a great fit as trading partners unless the Wild want Monahan

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
And then we have to leave one of Hanifin, Andersson, Dumba, or Tanev exposed at the ED. **** no. Please consider the needs of Calgary.

I did, Tanev would be exposed in that situation. That's not a difficult choice at all.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Thompson is your obvious comparable to Rossi. Yeah he didn't turn out, but he was a 1st round pick coming off a good WJC. And yeah no one is really Dumba, but I never said it equalled the trade. I said it was about the same. Our '21 1sts are both gonna be later so not much different than a 1st and 2nd. Then Sobotka and Berglund are lower value than Dumba. Either way Lindholm has shown a little more than ROR had at that time of the trade and is younger.

Dumba has to go somewhere if we're gonna get a 1C. I'd prefer the deal of Rossi + Dumba + earlier 1st, but no chance we keep Dumba and make a trade for a 1C.
Got here late but figured this was a solid comparable and wanted to add onto this.

There's a lot of bemoaning later on about how this is better than the O'Rielly deal that everyone lamented as a steal that moment it was made, and would in no way serve as a blueprint for the selling GM beyond asking for more than the O'Rielly deal.

The other thing to consider which I haven't see anyone saying no to this deal mention is that, even if the O'Rielly deal is considered good value and worth Lindholm, O'Rielly had openly said how Buffalo made him lose his passion for the game. He was on the move regardless of where he went and the immensely lowered his value. In making a trade for Calgary's 1C who hasn't said he hates hockey in Calgary, you can't get by with "just enough" pieces, it has to be in some from convincing them to move on from what they consider their best piece. On paper Thompson easily /=/ Rossi, but the values of O'Rielly and Lindholm are wildly different based purely on their situations and that has to be taken into account. O'Rielly was never going to get a piece that ripped something out of St. Louis' core due to leverage.

I think the deal proposed here accurately accounts for leverage and what Calgary would want for their current best forward (imo). Whether or not Minnesota accepts that is up for debate but it's the value expceted when "extracting" a core piece from another team that still wants that player.

Ledge And Dairy

I did, Tanev would be exposed in that situation. That's not a difficult choice at all.
I would really rather not expose Tanev and loose Lindholm at the same time. Flames really dont have much interest in Dumba since our top 4 RD is alreafy locked up long term. Our defensive issues is with Gio's clear regression from father time. We are still trying to rely on him too much.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I'd absolutely do Rossi + both '21 1sts + Rask (cap) for Lindholm. He's legit the exact type of C the Wild need to go after because there's no way we have enough for Eichel.

Edit: also would do Rossi + Dumba + earlier '21 1st if that would work too.
That’s like an Eichel level return

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I don't think the two teams are good trading partners tbh.

Both teams lack an elite 1C. I believe Calgary is stronger down the middle while the Wild are better on D. The challenge is that the Flames don't need D and its hard for us to sacrifice moving Lindy/Monahan unless we upgrade at C.

If the Flames miss the playoffs this year, I could see some parts moving but I don't think Lindy/Monahan will be the ones going out.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
These offers are nuts. 3 great pieces for a guy that cracked 55 points once is worth Fiala, Dumba and Rossi? What the hell am I missing here?

Kinda funny putting that way...

I am not saying the wild should/shouldn't offer the above but to prove a point:

Lindy
54 points in 70 games last year.
on pace for 67 this year (if considering 82 game season)

Fiala - never cracked 55 points.
Dumba - 30-40 point dman
Rossi - TBD - first round pick

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
It's more that you probably underestimated Lindholm's value.

Lindholm is a 1st line center with developing Selke level defense at this point. Literally the last forward they would trade especially given his contract.

I really think he is very undervalued and people look at his points while with the Canes as a measuring stick. PS - still think the trade our teams was fantastic all around.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I really think he is very undervalued and people look at his points while with the Canes as a measuring stick. PS - still think the trade our teams was fantastic all around.

I definitely looked at the Calgary stats. Just with Gio aging and smoke around moving Monahan and (somewhat) Gaudreau, I wasn’t sure about their trajectory the next 3 years.

Reactions: Tkachuky

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I definitely looked at the Calgary stats. Just with Gio aging and smoke around moving Monahan and (somewhat) Gaudreau, I wasn’t sure about their trajectory the next 3 years.

Fair enough. I think we're positioned pretty well on D even with Gio falling off. Having Tanev has been very good and will ease the Gio transition.

The Flames will not rebuild and I think they can do a quick retool by moving some assets.

We have a very good goalie, strong D that will hopefully continue to get better.

Its a matter of what sort of path our GM wants to take. I could see him throw a package that includes Johnny/Monahan+ whatever to land a guy like Eichel.

A lot of the smoke, which pains me to say is from Eric Francis talking out of his ass. He's the opposite of Russo.... Francis thinks he knowns everything but he's actually quite clueless and makes some wild claims.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
No, it isn't actually.
It’s probably pretty darn close
Blue chip prospect and 2 1sts is pretty darn close to the reported ask of 4 1st round equivalents
And while someone may offer more value there’s not a penny of cap dump in that offer

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad