Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He really let loose. Not sure how Shannon will recover.

The laziness in reporting is horrendous.
Shannon never explicitly said that that was a real example, just something he made up on the spot to say that Dougie wasn’t a mesh on this team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Good for Dougie. I don’t know what, if anything happened. There was clearly a chemistry issue there, but I agree there’s no reason to throw mud. I wish Dougie well in the future.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The laziness in reporting is horrendous.
Shannon never explicitly said that that was a real example, just something he made up on the spot to say that Dougie wasn’t a mesh on this team.

All internet clickbait news sites are like this. The desperation is palpable.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know though, I think this is a perfect example that shows one of the issues the Flames had with Dougie. Friedman says he hears and reads put out there about him. I don’t have a problem with the tweet he wrote, but I think the Flames would have. When Freddie was waived, there was a ton of speculation that Dougie was upset and he handled it in a questionable manner which only fuelled the situation more.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You know though, I think this is a perfect example that shows one of the issues the Flames had with Dougie. Friedman says he hears and reads put out there about him. I don’t have a problem with the tweet he wrote, but I think the Flames would have. When Freddie was waived, there was a ton of speculation that Dougie was upset and he handled it in a questionable manner which only fuelled the situation more.
I think the most telling part is he only addressed what John Shannon said, but nothing about what Friedman said, zero rebuttal to being upset about Freddie, nothing about asking for a trade, nothing about being upset about ice-time

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the most telling part is he only addressed what John Shannon said, but nothing about what Friedman said, zero rebuttal to being upset about Freddie, nothing about asking for a trade, nothing about being upset about ice-time

I know a lot of people aren’t crazy about Friedman, but I’ve heard him state on multiple occasions that he really cares about the players and will never put stuff out there that he knows isn’t true. I don’t think Shannon has any real connections to the team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I know a lot of people aren’t crazy about Friedman, but I’ve heard him state on multiple occasions that he really cares about the players and will never put stuff out there that he knows isn’t true. I don’t think Shannon has any real connections to the team.

Friedman is A+. I know people bitch about his musings.
The funny part is he'll lead off with, 'have to think' or 'believe' or 'here's a thought'; and people are still like 'LOLOLOzzzz Friedman speculating!!'. Well. Yes.

A lot of these 'insiders' work at a level from Guy who knows a Guy, who potentially knows a Guy. Bobby Mac, Dreger, Friedman and LeBrun I think are the four guys who actually have direct sources. This really snowballed because of lazy reporting and social media.

Someone probably told Shannon through the grapevine that there were major chemistry issues with Dougie, and he just ran with it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A lot of these 'insiders' work at a level from Guy who knows a Guy, who potentially knows a Guy. Bobby Mac, Dreger, Friedman and LeBrun I think are the four guys who actually have direct sources. This really snowballed because of lazy reporting and social media.
Renaud Lavoie is top notch too. Dreger however, is not. Dreger is Kypreos level.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Friedman is A+. I know people ***** about his musings.
The funny part is he'll lead off with, 'have to think' or 'believe' or 'here's a thought'; and people are still like 'LOLOLOzzzz Friedman speculating!!'. Well. Yes.

Someone probably told Shannon through the grapevine that there were major chemistry issues with Dougie, and he just ran with it.

People don't understand that guys like Friedman are paid to talk on radios, talk shows, produce a podcast, articles, twitter, etc. Of course he has to speculate at times.

@Walk with Elias I will legit fight you. Dreger may not be the top notch anymore, but Kypreos is on Cox level.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think all of you are missing the real point in all this.

Tre made a savvy move moving out Dougie. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the fact things were not working out here in Calgary the way either side would have preferred.

Brad and the management group have been classy in that they acknowledged there were issues but will not get into it because in all likelihood both sides would come out with egg on their face. Don't discount previous moves made like GG be let go as part of the solution to ensure the problems are resolved. Players not signed to new contracts and so forth.

Does it really matter what exactly happened or who was more right? No.. The bottom line was the dressing room was broken and it needed to be fixed.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
All Shannon was trying to do, was say that Dougie didn’t fit in.

Shannon said, “I am paraphrasing” and then proceeded to tell the story (which was actually a hypothetical situation) about Dougie going to Museums while everyone else goes to Moxies.

It was his misuse of the word paraphrasing that led to all this poor reporting

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As reported by Friedman, the Flames talked to Hamilton about his spot in the lineup. There are only two reason that you start that discussion. A) The player isn't doing well in that spot, or B) someone else isn't doing well in their spot and you want to try them out in your spot. We know A) is false so its B) and I would guess the problem player was Brodie. Well, nothing happened so it looks like Hamilton just wasn't receptive to change. Is this the mark of a team player?

As reported by Friedman, Hamilton was unhappy with the demotion of Freddie to the minors and his eventual move to Arizona. There was a mutual agreement to move Dougie. Mutual means both parties want something so Dougie wanted to be traded from Calgary. It was alluded to by Treliving when he mentioned that he was happy to get players that wanted to play for Calgary.... when the Lindholm / Hanifin deal went down. I'm pretty sure that Ferland still wanted to play for Calgary. That leaves Dougie as the disgruntled player. Is that the mark of a team player?

Sounds to me, that when it comes to Dougie's wants, it was more about him than it was about the team. This has been illustrated by the stories that Dougie would be happy if the team lost but he still played well. I can only assume that Dougie was one of the players Treliving was talking about when he talked about changing the losing culture in the locker room because there were too many players ok with losing.

As far as John Shannon's tweet, it was just a hypothetical illustration of how Dougie didn't generally fit in with the rest of the team.
It should also be noted that while Hamilton rebutted the museum comment he's never come out and said: "I never requested a trade" or "I was willing to play wherever the team wanted me to".

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I guess we'll find out more on the subject if Carolina signs Freddie and keeps him as their 13th forward.

Chakya won in the long run since we wouldn't trade him Dougie, he forced us to move him! :sarcasm:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I guess we'll find out more on the subject if Carolina signs Freddie and keeps him as their 13th forward.

Chakya won in the long run since we wouldn't trade him Dougie, he forced us to move him! :sarcasm:
When Hamilton was traded to Calgary his contract was up for renewal. I suspect, although I may be wrong , that signing Freddie to a contract was part of Dougie's renewal agreement. Dougie doesn't have that kind of leverage over Carolina.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Clearly there are issues with Dougie that go slightly bigger than what Friedman was saying, he wouldn't have been moved by both us and Boston had there not been. Such a shame, he was a terrific hockey player.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
When Hamilton was traded to Calgary his contract was up for renewal. I suspect, although I may be wrong , that signing Freddie to a contract was part of Dougie's renewal agreement. Dougie doesn't have that kind of leverage over Carolina.

We traded for Freddie (conditional 7th if memory serves) from the Avs, but yeah I could see it as well.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I seem to recall Dougie saying something like it was a happy surprise that Freddie was acquired... but I could be wrong.

We traded for Freddie (conditional 7th if memory serves) from the Avs, but yeah I could see it as well.

Yeah, it was a conditional 7th that didn't transfer. However, we had so few RHS shots that season, I think it was actually a legit depth move that just so happened to appease Dougie as well. Think Gully's influence on Chiasson (RHS RW) and Bartkowski (Expansion draft criteria) sort of thing. Both were useful players that perhaps would not be on the radar without someone's influence in the org putting a spotlight near them.

Having him too long on the roster is a different story though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad