Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
has there been any talk about Hanifin/Lindholm contract negotiations?

Curious about this too. Treliving is known for his strong-arm tactics in regards to players, and will probably get the best deal he can. Lindholm is eligible for arbitration, which usually takes place late in July, so thats the latest we should expect a contract from him. Hanifin I have no clue to be honest.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My only thing about that, Doughty just signed for 11 million. If Hanifin is a 60pt player in 3 years, he’s going to likely ask for 10 million per.

That's very true.
Buying only 3 years of UFA is a bit 'meh' to me. He'll be 27 and UFA.

That all said, 6 years is a long f***ing time.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
My only thing about that, Doughty just signed for 11 million. If Hanifin is a 60pt player in 3 years, he’s going to likely ask for 10 million per.

I think the odds of Hanifin reaching that level are pretty low, not sure he has ever shown that upside, even on draft day.

I'd like to see a six-year deal which would put Hanifin up for renewal the same season as Backlund (who we will likely let walk).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the odds of Hanifin reaching that level are pretty low, not sure he has ever shown that upside, even on draft day.

I'd like to see a six-year deal which would put Hanifin up for renewal the same season as Backlund (who we will likely let walk).

It’s tough to say. Provorov and Werenski have both been played in higher roles than Hanifin, hence their success. Noah had a very nice season last year playing mostly with TVR. Peters would switch up the pairings and play him with Faulk when they needed to score. Hanifin has all the tools to be an elite dman, I’d argue he just needs the opportunity like Jones got when he got to Columbus.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It’s tough to say. Provorov and Werenski have both been played in higher roles than Hanifin, hence their success. Noah had a very nice season last year playing mostly with TVR. Peters would switch up the pairings and play him with Faulk when they needed to score. Hanifin has all the tools to be an elite dman, I’d argue he just needs the opportunity like Jones got when he got to Columbus.

This guy was picked before two really, really players for a reason.
That was only 3 years ago, and his progress has been very linear and impressive. Hanifin has elite potential. If he gets there is another story. Playing a full year with Hammer on the second pairing should be a great opportunity for the kid. He's going to see some ugly match-ups a lot of nights, and hope he can tilt play.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This guy was picked before two really, really players for a reason.
That was only 3 years ago, and his progress has been very linear and impressive. Hanifin has elite potential. If he gets there is another story. Playing a full year with Hammer on the second pairing should be a great opportunity for the kid. He's going to see some ugly match-ups a lot of nights, and hope he can tilt play.

Apparently I heard Hanfin’s possession numbers were 3rd in the NHL last year, behind only Dougie and Gio lol. I have a lot of confidence he’s going to become a top #1. The way this guy skates in all directions and passes, thinks the game, then throw in a coach like Peters who’s had so success much success with dman, I like his odds.

Vordus

May 9, 2014
Calgary
I can see why we traded who we did because of contracts, conflicts, etc., but I don't see us as being any better than we were last year. In fact, we're probably gonna regress next year (unless all our young guys take another step forward, like Bennett, Janko, Tkachuk...).

On offence, Lindholm for Ferland is pretty even. Lindholm is worse in +/-, while Ferly takes more penalties.

Hamilton is a better offensive and defensive d-man than Hanifin. Hanifin has good potential but worries me. Why would Car trade their recent 1st pick so soon? He obviously didn't turn into the d-man they were hoping. His +/- is atrocious.

I hate the Bill Peters signing and I think he's gonna be a tire fire. I hope I'm wrong about him.

Reactions: Cyrano

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I can see why we traded who we did because of contracts, conflicts, etc., but I don't see us as being any better than we were last year. In fact, we're probably gonna regress next year (unless all our young guys take another step forward, like Bennett, Janko, Tkachuk...).

On offence, Lindholm for Ferland is pretty even. Lindholm is worse in +/-, while Ferly takes more penalties.

Hamilton is a better offensive and defensive d-man than Hanifin. Hanifin has good potential but worries me. Why would Car trade their recent 1st pick so soon? He obviously didn't turn into the d-man they were hoping. His +/- is atrocious.

I hate the Bill Peters signing and I think he's gonna be a tire fire. I hope I'm wrong about him.
Couple points here

1) I think they’re banking on Lindholm meshing and breaking out with our top guys. Ferlands best season ever is still just on level with Lindholms regular output.

2) You don’t get Hamilton without Hanifin. Yes Hamilton is a notch above offensively, but let’s not forget, Hanifin has the same amount of points, and is the same age as Dougie was when we acquired him, he went on to have a career year if you recall.

3) Everyone has raves about Hanifin’s attitude, Carolina was having a rough time getting them both to sign to decent deals, and I don’t blame them. A lot of uncertainty for that team as of late.

4) +/- is not a good individual indicator. Especially on a team that had the worst goaltending in modern NHL history.

Plus the (hopeful) progression of Janko and Bennett, and hopeful resurrection of Brodano, I think at the very least we’re the same, if not marginally better.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I’d like to see a legitimate argument as to why Ferland is either equal to or better than Lindholm. I haven’t seen one yet (probably because there isn’t one).

Reactions: tmurfin

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I’d like to see a legitimate argument as to why Ferland is either equal to or better than Lindholm. I haven’t seen one yet (probably because there isn’t one).

It’s a homerist notion. A simple look at the stats say it all. I Love Ferly too, and was absolutely gutted by the trade. But you’re 100% correct here.

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Well when Ferland is playing at 100%, he's better. He's physical, great shot, he's engaged in the play, he's irritating, and he's willing and able to retrieve the puck from dirty areas.

Problem is that only happens about 12-15 games of the year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well when Ferland is playing at 100%, he's better. He's physical, great shot, he's engaged in the play, he's irritating, and he's willing and able to retrieve the puck from dirty areas.

Problem is that only happens about 12-15 games of the year.

The day Ferly figures it out for 60-80 games a season, is the day someone gets a likely near all-star.
He had his most consistent season, this past season; but still disappeared for a long span.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, it's not like Fox could realistically say anything different. And Treliving said that it was his adviser that made it clear Fox wasn't interested in signing here, not Fox himself.

As for Ferland, has anyone actually said he's better than Lindholm? He's obviously not but at the same time, folks are seriously underrating Ferland's contributions and his chemistry with the top line. There's no guarantee Lindholm meshes with them even if he is the better player.

And it's going to be incredibly disappointing if the Flames sign Maroon as Ferland's replacement.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Carolina had some of the worst goaltending over the last two years. Both Hanifin and Lindholm's stats in regards to +/- are inaccurate in comparison to their play.

Hamilton was fed for the last 40 games the most prime offensive situations to drive his stats through the ceiling while Gio was instructed to cover for Dougies lapses. Hamilton is not the defenseman we saw especially in the later parts of the season when he was putting up the points. Hamilton was shielded in match-ups and the whole nine yards. I would be surprised to see Hamilton with more than 10 goals moving forward.

Peters studied under Babcock and there is a general consensus that Peters' coaching and attacking style is well suited for the speed game in the NHL today. Many argue that Carolina would have been much worse in the standings if it weren't for Peters.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Eh, it's not like Fox could realistically say anything different. And Treliving said that it was his adviser that made it clear Fox wasn't interested in signing here, not Fox himself.

As for Ferland, has anyone actually said he's better than Lindholm? He's obviously not but at the same time, folks are seriously underrating Ferland's contributions and his chemistry with the top line. There's no guarantee Lindholm meshes with them even if he is the better player.

And it's going to be incredibly disappointing if the Flames sign Maroon as Ferland's replacement.

Know what? Fox would have to the dumbest player in the world if he said.
"I wasn't signing with Calgary. Less than zero chance." It'd instantly give him a very negative overcast in this league. Instead what he said also leads me to believe he'll go FA when everything is said and done, and sign with the Rangers (likely)

I agree that Ferly really meshed with that top line; that all being said, he also got the most amount of chances with them minus a plugs like Chiasson over the past years without Jiri. When he was on, they were a great three man unit. He was a puck hound, and the guy who'd go work corners on that trio (we know why Johnny can't, and Mony just doesn't seem like he has the will to go ugly in corners).

If Flames got Maroon for Ferland's $, while adding Lindholm, that's a clear win. That being said, I doubt Maroon, who was great with Jersey, will sign for less than $3-4 Million.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Know what? Fox would have to the dumbest player in the world if he said.
"I wasn't signing with Calgary. Less than zero chance." It'd instantly give him a very negative overcast in this league. Instead what he said also leads me to believe he'll go FA when everything is said and done, and sign with the Rangers (likely)

I agree that Ferly really meshed with that top line; that all being said, he also got the most amount of chances with them minus a plugs like Chiasson over the past years without Jiri. When he was on, they were a great three man unit. He was a puck hound, and the guy who'd go work corners on that trio (we know why Johnny can't, and Mony just doesn't seem like he has the will to go ugly in corners).

If Flames got Maroon for Ferland's $, while adding Lindholm, that's a clear win. That being said, I doubt Maroon, who was great with Jersey, will sign for less than $3-4 Million.

The age of slow big wingers is done. The Flames need to get faster not bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad