Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
College level, Major Junior and ECHL are comparisons that often get thrown around.

This season games were on TV (Premier Sports, an obscure channel you have to pay extra for that shows things like NHL, Nascar and Australian rugby league) every Saturday, sometimes free streams are available. Most clubs do online webcasts, but you have to pay for those.

Football teams have sweet names? What? United, City, Town, Rovers :laugh:

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
College level, Major Junior and ECHL are comparisons that often get thrown around.

This season games were on TV (Premier Sports, an obscure channel you have to pay extra for that shows things like NHL, Nascar and Australian rugby league) every Saturday, sometimes free streams are available. Most clubs do online webcasts, but you have to pay for those.

Football teams have sweet names? What? United, City, Town, Rovers :laugh:

Wow you're right, maybe its just because I find the place names cooler, Wolverhampton, Queens Park... etc.

Do they allow fighting within the league?

I'm definitely going to try and stream a game. Now the question is who should I support? I'm in Newcastle and I've found their team has been dissolved which sucks. I'm surprised to not see any London teams?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Wow you're right, maybe its just because I find the place names cooler, Wolverhampton, Queens Park... etc.

Do they allow fighting within the league?

I'm definitely going to try and stream a game. Now the question is who should I support? I'm in Newcastle and I've found their team has been dissolved which sucks. I'm surprised to not see any London teams?

Allow fighting? It's mandatory.

Queens Park is a pretty badass name :sarcasm:

and if you're going to pick a team, I'd say Belfast or Sheffield since they're most likely to win a title lol

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Allow fighting? It's mandatory.

Queens Park is a pretty badass name :sarcasm:

and if you're going to pick a team, I'd say Belfast or Sheffield since they're most likely to win a title lol

I'm a Flyers fan, I'm used to disappointment haha.

Which is the most fun team to watch (more physical play)?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I think I might just do that. How do Playoffs work within the EIHL?

The playoffs are basically meaningless, finishing with the best regular season record is the much more prestigious trophy.

The top 8 teams make it, the 1/4 finals are just a home and away leg won by aggregate score (much like in football) then the 4 winners go to the finals weekend held in Nottingham. The two semi-finals are just one game each played on the Saturday. Then the final is just one game played on the Sunday.

The only reason they even bother with it is so everyone can go out and get drunk in Nottingham on the Saturday night.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
7 of 10 EIHL teams have actual Head Coaches. Is that an EIHL record?

... and how many get fired before the season ends lol

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
The people running these clubs are morons. They are making the exact same mistakes the clubs made in the mid-90s when they dumped the BIHA and set up the Superleague. And it's reminding me why I walked away from the British game back then. Probably shouldn't have bothered coming back tbh.:shakehead

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
The people running these clubs are morons. They are making the exact same mistakes the clubs made in the mid-90s when they dumped the BIHA and set up the Superleague. And it's reminding me why I walked away from the British game back then. Probably shouldn't have bothered coming back tbh.:shakehead

The entire point of making mistakes is to create a template to repeat them over and over... or am I misunderstanding something :sarcasm:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I... I can't believe what I've just read

The Rapid Solicitors Elite League have made some changes to the playing rules, beginning from season 2014-15.

The EIHL clubs met this week in Hull and the following changes have been unanimously agreed by all present.

As from the upcoming season (2014-15), the number of non British-trained players will rise from 11 to 12, but the amount of work-permit players will remain at 11.

The number of non British-trained players will rise to 13 in season 2015-16 and 14 in season 2016-17, with the amount of work-permit players again remaining at 11.

Elite League chairman, Tony Smith, said: "The league agreed that there is a shortage of top-level British players, which keeps the Elite League from being outstanding across the 10 teams.

"With the demand of the indigenous British player higher than ever in all leagues, and with the potential for EU/dual-national players to develop into national-team players, it was felt this gradual increase would be beneficial to all.

"As with all things, the Elite League will monitor its development as we look forward to another successful season."

They admit there's a lack of British talent. HELP DEVELOP IT THEN YOU ****ING CRETINS, SHEFFIELD YOU HAVE THE BEST JUNIOR SYSTEM IN THE COUNTRY RIGHT NEXT DOOR, ****ING USE IT.

They're just taking the easy option.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'll be cheering for EIHL to fold now...

It'd be nice if someone could rally the British trained guys together and give them a voice in this junk.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
ROB ****ING DOWD! YES!

Chris Blight ‏@Blightzkrieg 17m
What you can't argue is the success of other countries who have less imports and more dual nationals.

rob dowd ‏@dowdy75 14m
@Blightzkrieg u are 31 years old. How is Someone like u going to help the national program?U will play a few years then **** off back home

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
The most hilarious part of this is Andy French is retweeting all of the outraged British players

He's supposed to be in charge of IHUK, who are supposed to control the damn EIHL!

Just proof IHUK is merely a puppet of the league.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Even imports...

adam calder ‏@calds25 22m
Not sure why anybody is surprised today? Same people who like the PO weekend bronze medal game making the calls! Laughable!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad