Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hamburg = top team in DEL
Lulea = 6th in SHL
Lukko = 3rd place in SM Liiga

So ye... I'll be surprised if they're even close once.

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
I live in Swansea and subscribe to watch the NHL but as I follow football, I've never really got into the EIHL.

I've watched the Devils play a few times over the years and always enjoyed but I don't really know anyone else who's interested so that kinda stops me going more often.

I'm surprised to read the negativity towards the league on here. I didn't realise that the UK game was in such a poor state and had the impression it was a growing league/sport.

I must say, I've seen some of the live coverage on one of the cable channels last season and it looked pretty awful. Not the actual matches but the actual cheap presentation, quality etc. For me it was so bad it was a sure-fire way of putting off new fans.

Obviously, I know the standard is considerably lower than that of the NHL but what are the main differences between the EIHL and NHL? I'll try and follow the league more closely this year and see if I can get to more Devils games.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Obviously, I know the standard is considerably lower than that of the NHL but what are the main differences between the EIHL and NHL? I'll try and follow the league more closely this year and see if I can get to more Devils games.

Less parity. It's a lot more like football where there's a clear divide between the big and little teams, even in a league with only 10 teams.

Winning the regular season is more important than the playoffs. The playoffs are really short and you only have to play 4 games to win them.

Less financial stability. Teams come and go a lot more often, often get into money trouble

Player/coaches. To save money some teams hire a head coach who plays as well.

Teams have shorter benches and rarely if ever play 4 lines, backup goalies hardly ever play.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Pretty crazy upgrade in 12 months from Brent Pope & Ragan to David Whistle & Todd Kelman in Cardiff.

There's hope for them yet.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
the league is growing slowly, the major problem it has is the arena teams can out pay the others and it creates a divide, every now and then another team will spend money they don't have trying to keep up and it pretty much bankrupts them.

you won't see any real growth in the league until there are more arenas for teams to play in so the other teams can keep up and get some parity. I'm really hoping for Manchester and London teams to be created over the next few years.

The sport itself seems to be more popular, though that may just be in Nottingham

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
the league is growing slowly, the major problem it has is the arena teams can out pay the others and it creates a divide, every now and then another team will spend money they don't have trying to keep up and it pretty much bankrupts them.

you won't see any real growth in the league until there are more arenas for teams to play in so the other teams can keep up and get some parity. I'm really hoping for Manchester and London teams to be created over the next few years.

The sport itself seems to be more popular, though that may just be in Nottingham

Oh no it's not that, it's the British players' fault for demanding excessive wages :rolleyes:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Not gunna lie, a part of me can't wait for this CHL game Friday, even with Farmer/Clarke potentially missing due to injury and so many extra imports.

There's an evident difference in quality in the leagues but seeing them play each other should be interesting.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Not gunna lie, a part of me can't wait for this CHL game Friday, even with Farmer/Clarke potentially missing due to injury and so many extra imports.

There's an evident difference in quality in the leagues but seeing them play each other should be interesting.

Having a feeling that Nottingham will be severly punished with penalties in CHL.

They wont get away with half of what they did in the series, especially not with the rules and refs that wont tolerate much.
I cant fathom why Panthers got Jacina from Rosenborg(my team)
Hes nothing but a Pejorative Slured player that ruins a team with idiotic penalties constantly.

Read that Lukko wont tollerate any **** from Panthers so they will without a doubt cause Panthers to take alot of penalties in this game.

Also curious how nottingham will be in the season when all their focus atm is on CHL.
15 or so Americans on the team and only allowed to use 5-7 in the series?

personally i would build a team for the CHl AND season, not wing it like they are doingnow

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Having a feeling that Nottingham will be severly punished with penalties in CHL.

They wont get away with half of what they did in the series, especially not with the rules and refs that wont tolerate much.
I cant fathom why Panthers got Jacina from Rosenborg(my team)
Hes nothing but a Pejorative Slured player that ruins a team with idiotic penalties constantly.

Read that Lukko wont tollerate any **** from Panthers so they will without a doubt cause Panthers to take alot of penalties in this game.

Also curious how nottingham will be in the season when all their focus atm is on CHL.
15 or so Americans on the team and only allowed to use 5-7 in the series?

personally i would build a team for the CHl AND season, not wing it like they are doingnow

Sounds like the a good chunk of the players signed in the EIHL :sarcasm:

Nottingham's seeded dead last and probably taking it more serious than anyone :laugh: they bought a bunch of rental players that won't be eligible during the season just to try to soften the blow if they get embarrassed... if anything it'll make it even more embarrassing.

Still can't wait to see it. I'd enjoy it way more if the Brits weren't pushed down the depth chart by all the rentals though.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Sounds like the a good chunk of the players signed in the EIHL :sarcasm:

Nottingham's seeded dead last and probably taking it more serious than anyone :laugh: they bought a bunch of rental players that won't be eligible during the season just to try to soften the blow if they get embarrassed... if anything it'll make it even more embarrassing.

Still can't wait to see it. I'd enjoy it way more if the Brits weren't pushed down the depth chart by all the rentals though.

Yea, Lukko is well aware that it will be a very physical game and by the way Nottingham signed players it looks to me like they are trying to goon their way through, but how on earth will that work when pretty much every team is miles better and just as Physical (if needed)
was hoping the canadian bar in London would show this game but doubt it.

im guessing Nottingham will pretty much be 4vs5 throughout the whole game haha

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Apparently he bet that the opposing team would score a goal in the first period

It was him and 2 others (one goalie)

That betted that the other team would atleast score once in the first period, they scored 3 which was quite obvious that it was fixed:p
the goalie aparently went around to the team asking for them to help the fixing.
He was the backup so he even went to their main goalie Ervin and tried to bribe him to fix games but he refused and told the coach haha

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hamburg = top team in DEL
Lulea = 6th in SHL
Lukko = 3rd place in SM Liiga

So ye... I'll be surprised if they're even close once.
This year's Lukko is arguably better than last year, they're pretty much favourites to win the (domestic) title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad