Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Any reason Dundee Stars are clear favorite today at Flyers? Bookies have Odds around 3,00 for a home win despite their very good form and Dundee's awful away performances...

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Dundee is dressing 13 skaters........ that makes me sick to my stomach every time I see this crap.

It's nice for my betting account, but yeah, sad to see.. Always the same with these midweek games.
I mean the distance isn't even that high between them, so it should be possible to dress a full roster!

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
If midweek games are such a big deal (because it's been said before when I brought this up) then here's a simple solution..... STOP SCHEDULING MIDWEEK GAMES ;)

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
If midweek games are such a big deal (because it's been said before when I brought this up) then here's a simple solution..... STOP SCHEDULING MIDWEEK GAMES ;)

Depends on the club - for example Nottingham Panthers will lose out every time if Disney On Ice want 'this or that Saturday' at the NIC; and as such the Panthers have to fit their games in somewhere.

That said, I live in hope the powers that be 'figure it out' when Dundee can only ice 13 players for what is basically a local derby (or as good as) - as much as the EIHL likes to posture, it is a long way from being a fully professional league.

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
Depends on the club - for example Nottingham Panthers will lose out every time if Disney On Ice want 'this or that Saturday' at the NIC; and as such the Panthers have to fit their games in somewhere.

That said, I live in hope the powers that be 'figure it out' when Dundee can only ice 13 players for what is basically a local derby (or as good as) - as much as the EIHL likes to posture, it is a long way from being a fully professional league.

Easy solution: build more rinks! Will also help to solve the problem of why we produce so few players.

:sarcasm:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Forgive my ignorance but could you explain this please?

There are 4 EIHL teams in Scotland, 4 in England, 1 in Cardiff, and then Belfast.

The teams in Scotland tend to finish near the bottom of the table, have trouble recruiting, and produce the least amount of home grown players that go on to be regular EIHL players.

... With all that said, Sheffield produces a number of EIHL regulars and 0 of them play for Sheffield :laugh:

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
Easy solution: build more rinks! Will also help to solve the problem of why we produce so few players.

:sarcasm:

The sarcasm smilie is perfectly used there :laugh:

'No one' wants to build rinks in the UK right now - money is 'better spent' on other facilities in terms of both private and public developments projects

I am a firm believer that the whole 'lack of ice' is a bit of a red herring at the moment though - we could do a hell of a lot better with what we already have.

There are 4 EIHL teams in Scotland, 4 in England, 1 in Cardiff, and then Belfast.

The teams in Scotland tend to finish near the bottom of the table, have trouble recruiting, and produce the least amount of home grown players that go on to be regular EIHL players.

... With all that said, Sheffield produces a number of EIHL regulars and 0 of them play for Sheffield :laugh:

Braehead have looked like a decent team almost from the off. Dundee are having a good year - I hope it's not a one off.

Fife are, IMHO, trying to do it right - far more sensible to look to progress year on year (which I think they have) than throw good money after bad and then go bust

Edinburgh and Edinburgh...

That said, what evidence do you use to determine who is and who is not a regular EIHLer? Some guys become regular EIHL players out of 'fortune' IMHO; they happen to be 'a local guy' to that club and thus get the opportunity. Some embrace it (Graeme Walton), others do not.

If you want to get really picky, there are systems now affiliated with EPL clubs who you could argue have contributed more top players than some EIHL clubs have - but then, that is the utter shambles that is British ice hockey.

Development in the UK is so warped it's unbelievable

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
That said, what evidence do you use to determine who is and who is not a regular EIHLer? Some guys become regular EIHL players out of 'fortune' IMHO; they happen to be 'a local guy' to that club and thus get the opportunity. Some embrace it (Graeme Walton), others do not.

If you want to get really picky, there are systems now affiliated with EPL clubs who you could argue have contributed more top players than some EIHL clubs have - but then, that is the utter shambles that is British ice hockey.

Development in the UK is so warped it's unbelievable

I would probably say an 'EIHL regular' is someone who actually touches the ice on a regular basis during EIHL games :laugh:

When I really think about it, my definition of 'EIHL regular' is essentially the GB Senior camp roster... and even some of them barely touch the ice.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
There just aren't enough clubs of the requisite standard for a professional league. Fife, Edinburgh, Dundee and Hull (even Cardiff and Coventry) just don't have the money or facilities to compete with the bigger clubs. They'd be better of playing against the bigger EPL teams because that is their genuine level.

Clubs like Nottingham, Sheffield and Belfast would be better served playing in a cross-border comp with teams from other west European nations. As it is the other clubs are in EIHL solely to give those three clubs someone to play against.

Charlatan

Mar 4, 2014
Scotland
Its taken me a while but I eventually signed up here, know a lot of the names from THF.

Stars reward Jeff Hutchins with a two year extension as head player/coach.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Playoff quarter finals this weekend:

Braehead Clan v Nottingham Panthers
Hull Stingrays v Belfast Giants
Sheffield Steelers v Coventry Blaze
Dundee Stars v Fife Flyers

Dundee v Fife is the live game on Premier Sports Sunday at 18:30

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Can't wait for the next Cats Whiskers TV on no Panthers in the Final 4 although EIHL seems not to care as regular season champs and Challenge Cup Champs are nominated for Euro play and playoff winners are ..........hey we got a shinny thing

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd watch it if it wasn't behind a pay wall. What time is it on? Might see if I can get a stream.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Brits all over this game.

Hill scored the first Sheffield goal
Shields finished a nice play for Belfast on the 2nd goal
Dowd puts in a great shift and nets the tying goal for Sheffield.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I've never watched an EIHL game, are they any good? I mean I know it won't be NHL or AHL quality, but college standards maybe? Is it possible to find streams?

I'm interested, but I don't think I'll bother if it's too (as I've heard the English say *I love this saying by the way*) village.

ALSO, I was expecting cooler team names from this country, some of the football teams have sweet names here. The hockey teams are called **** like Flyers, Capitals, Steelers, Panthers, Stars.... So unoriginal!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad