Eichel or Matthews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Only player I take over Matthews is McDavid. Period. People will bring up Mackinnon, but Matthews is far beyond where Mackinnon was in his 4th NHL season. I’m excited to see where he’ll be in 3 years.

All of this applies to Eichel

*probably Dahlin too, maybe not even Jesus since we already have Eichel

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It looks bad that you keep updating every single point he gets closer like we’re all not paying attention. We are. You don’t need to do this with literally every single bloody point, is his or my point.

ps- refer to work I did above
You're posting every single stat about Eichel which makes him look better than Matthews.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You're posting every single stat about Eichel which makes him look better than Matthews.

he did goals, assists, points, then separated them by es and pp, then did toi. If that’s “posting every single stat” that makes Eichel better than Matthews then we have a clear answer to this poll I’d say

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
he did goals, assists, points, then separated them by es and pp, then did toi. If that’s “posting every single stat” that makes Eichel better than Matthews then we have a clear answer to this poll I’d say
He also posted how Eichel had this many points in so many games, to the point where it was overkill trying to make Eichel look like the better player.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
He also posted how Eichel had this many points in so many games, to the point where it was overkill trying to make Eichel look like the better player.

Pointing out that he has more points in less games isn’t valid?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
When he uses stats how Eichel had so many points in a certain amount of games from previous seasons doesn't matter for this current season.
Actually the one you replied to with the “using every single stat that makes Eichel look good” comment was only stats from this year according to the post.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Auston Matthews is the most underrated player in the league outside of Leafs fans.

42 goals so far, all the while playing with crappy overrated Leafs players. Incredible.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

You’re just being silly right now.

I just posted all the stats, above.....your lifers posting a stat and a Tory and teeet every time Matthews gets a point and being like a kid by going “oh did you know he’s three points back....he’s two points back ...” yeah, because I don’t follow or anything. LOL.

his team has scored 46 goals, and the fact he’s not considerably ahead shows who’s been better.

Pa ice time doesent matter as I showed above per 60 minutes, Eichels averaging more points in all situations. With worse line mates. I’m sorry if this doesent fit the narrative, but eh the stats at the stats. He could score a hat trick tomorrow in. Hffo and pass eichel by a point and it still wouldn’t make a difference. Eichels been more consistent all season, points in 35 of 39 and owning all those stats I posted above? (Which had Matthews winning a lot of them too to show I was being fair) where as I can’t remember you or any other Leaf fan posting any numbers being complimentary about eichel....ever...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You’re just being silly right now.

I just posted all the stats, above.....your lifers posting a stat and a Tory and teeet every time Matthews gets a point and being like a kid by going “oh did you know he’s three points back....he’s two points back ...” yeah, because I don’t follow or anything. LOL.

his team has scored 46 goals, and the fact he’s not considerably ahead shows who’s been better.

Pa ice time doesent matter as I showed above per 60 minutes, Eichels averaging more points in all situations. With worse line mates. I’m sorry if this doesent fit the narrative, but eh the stats at the stats. He could score a hat trick tomorrow in. Hffo and pass eichel by a point and it still wouldn’t make a difference. Eichels been more consistent all season, points in 35 of 39 and owning all those stats I posted above? (Which had Matthews winning a lot of them too to show I was being fair) where as I can’t remember you or any other Leaf fan posting any numbers being complimentary about eichel....ever...
Since you already post every stat there is which Eichel has done what other stats is there for me or any other Leafs fans to look up?

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Auston Matthews is the most underrated player in the league outside of Leafs fans.

42 goals so far, all the while playing with crappy overrated Leafs players. Incredible.

Uh...what crappy overrated leaf players? A 90 point winger in marner. Nylander, Tavares sometimes on the powerplay, is this a joke?

the team has scored 46 more
Goals then the sabres and eichel still has more points, and 25 and 36 more points then the next two sabres....HIS lineMates.

for Eichel to be ahead of Matthews who is having an incredible season for sure, is even more “incredible.”

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
crappy overrated leaf players? A 90 point winger in marner. Nylander, Tavares sometimes on the powerplay, is this a joke?

the team has scored 46 more
Goals then the sabres and eichel still has more points, and 25 and 36 more points then the next two sabres....HIS lineMates.

for Eichel to be ahead of Matthews who is having an incredible season for sure, is even more “incredible.”
Eichel is only ahead in points because he has 41 assists compared to 29 for Matthews.

In terms of goal scoring which is more important since that is how all teams win, Matthews now has 42 goals compared to 32 for Eichel.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

what do you mean trying to make eichel look like the better player?

I posted every stat there was and even included per 60 for goals (since Matthews is superior there) and points, I included all stats not just one eichel was better in. I wasn’t trying anything.

if eichel lead more stats which he did, and looked better guess what? It’s probably because he’s been better.

You’ve been talking about things like excuses and “trying to do this and that”, it’s pretty hilarious man. I am actually being fair as hell and posting all of the statistics. If eichel leads most of them it’s really not my fault.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Eichel is only ahead in points because he has 41 assists compared to 29 for Matthews.

In terms of goal scoring which is more important since that is how all teams win, Matthews now has 42 goals compared to 32 for Eichel.

Ok that’s where the conversation ends. Goals are how teams win? Yeah, setting up the goals is creating the goals too. I get that Matthews has more goals man, wow that’s literally all you have and now you’re stooped So low as to Say it’s more important.

Listen to yourself man, “eichel is only ahead because he has ten more assists”.....yeah....they count the same for a reason. It’s still goals being scored he set up and created. And On Buffalo an assist is double hard, he needs one more to have 200 in his career. There’s more to hockey then just having a good shot.

eichel is the more Dynamic offensive player.

I guess debrincat And guentZel are both better marner. More goals.

I went through every stat and showed eichel is actually averaging more points in all situations,.

No offense but I don’t really think you understand how hockey works.

creating the goals (which Eichels does in highlight form most nights) and at a higher clip per sixty then Matthews as I showed and has more points (that why they xa the person with more points the leagues madding scorer) not the guy with just mid “goals” is every bit as important as scoring the goals. And it’s not like Eichels a slouch in goals either he’s fourth in the league. Get a grip man.

The fact that these guys are both having amazing seasons is awesome, you’re tearing this little debate like it’s the most Important thing in the world and you have to be right. I went ahead and posed all the stats. You’re nitpicking now to just goals. Again they give the art ross and the bart usually to guy with the most points as he is the leading “acorer” creating and setting up the goals is every hit as important and if you think it’s not, you haven’t played hockey and you’ve likely never watched it longer then a decade.

I’ll alert everyone and let them Know Anders lee is a top ten player in the last five years with all those goals.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ok that’s where the conversation ends. Goals are how teams win? Yeah, setting up the goals is creating the goals too. I get that Matthews has more goals man, wow that’s literally all you have and now you’re stooped So low as to Say it’s more important.

Listen to yourself man, “eichel is only ahead because he has ten more assists”.....yeah....they count the same for a reason. It’s still goals being scored he set up and created. And I’m Buffalo an assist is double hard, he needs one more to have 200 in his career. There’s more to hockey then just having a good shot.

eichel is the more Dynamic offensive player.

I guess debrincat And guentZel are both better marner. More goals.

I went through every stat and showed eichel is actually averaging more points in all situations,.

No offense but I don’t really think you understand how hockey works.

creating the goals (which Eichels does in highlight form most nights) and at a higher clip per sixty then Matthews as I showed and has more points (that why they xa the person with more points the leagues madding scorer) not the guy with just mid “goals” is every bit as important as scoring the goals. And it’s not like Eichels a slouch in goals either he’s fourth in the league. Get a grip man.

The fact that these guys are both having amazing seasons is awesome, you’re tearing this little debate like it’s the most
Important thing in the world and you have to be right. I went ahead and posed all the stats. You’re nitpicking now to just goals. Again they give the art ross and the bart usually to guy with the most points as he is the leading “acorer” creating and setting up the goals is every hit as important and if you think it’s not, you haven’t played hockey and you’ve likely never watched it longer then a decade.
I understand assists are part of the game. I guess since Matthews was given criticism for only getting 29 assists in his rookie year, it bothered me that some people seemed to care more about that and what he did when he scored 40 goals and being tied for 2nd, because that was impressive for any rookie to do. Plus it was the most goals by a rookie since Ovechkin had 52 goals in 2006.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I understand assists are part of the game. I guess since Matthews was given criticism for only getting 29 assists in his rookie year, it bothered me that some people seemed to care more about that and what he did when he scored 40 goals and being tied for 2nd, because that was impressive for any rookie to do. Plus it was the most goals by a rookie since Ovechkin had 52 goals in 2006.

I wasn’t going to reply after your last post because by that argument skinner was way better then Eichel last year too...(lol eichel did way more work in those assists the. Skinner did in his goals) but I’m glad you’re explaining your frustrations or whatever made you say that. It’s all good man I’ve said some dumb things in the Heat of the moment, I’m sure many in this thread will point that out.

Ps I get why one would think if two players are tied in points the guy with more goals is better. That’s a very fair take actually, but it’s more then that in this instance (as I pointed out with the advanced stats that eichel is actually out producing Matthews in even strength goals per sixty minutes and points) and the fact he’s doing this with crappy players, and the consistency where he’s getting points in all these games is what makes me give the edge to eichel.

I get the argument on the other side for sure, hopefully both guys put on a show tommorow.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn’t going to reply after your last post because by that argument skinner was way better then Eichel last year too...(lol eichel did way more work in those assists the. Skinner did in his goals) but I’m glad you’re explaining your frustrations or whatever made you say that. It’s all good man I’ve said some dumb things in the Heat of the moment, I’m sure many in this thread will point that out.

Ps I get why one would think if two players are tied in points the guy with more goals is better. That’s a very fair take actually, but it’s more then that in this instance (as I pointed out with the advanced stats that eichel is actually out producing Matthews in even strength goals per sixty minutes and points) and the fact he’s doing this with crappy players, and the consistency where he’s getting points in all these games is what makes me give the edge to eichel.

I get the argument on the other side for sure, hopefully both guys put on a show tommorow.
Hopefully Matthews does better than Eichel because he's the one player on the Sabres I look out for when he's on the ice. My preference is that Eichel doesn't factor in any Buffalo goals because it will give Toronto a better chance and even more since they are on a back to back. Plus since this is the last game of the regular season between Toronto and Buffalo, Eichel can go back to registering more points for the Sabres during their next game.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Hopefully Matthews does better than Eichel because he's the one player on the Sabres I look out for when he's on the ice. My preference is that Eichel doesn't factor in any Buffalo goals because it will give Toronto a better chance and even more since they are on a back to back. Plus since this is the last game of the regular season between Toronto and Buffalo, Eichel can go back to registering more points for the Sabres during their next game.
I think this is the issue, I’ve never thought “I hope Scheiffle does better than ____” I’ve always thought things like, I hope Scheiffle has a good game, or if Scheiffle can score a goal or two we have a good chance tonight. It doesn’t always need to be that my player is better.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Haha, I just posted that eichel is not only producing more points this season in less games but he’s also doing it per sixty better. He’s leading Matthews in most of the stats, go ahead and look. No one probably cares other then your leaf buddies that have flocked together in here to make each other feel better after a game vs Ottawa that you would only take mackinnon over eichel.

Eichel has already more points right now then Matthews has ever had in his career and including this year has had more points for three straight seasons. I just did the work above, not only does the eye test show or but he’s doing it at per 60 in all situations points wise and total points, with worse players.

:)

Awful post. How can you be so disingenuous?

This is Eichel’s 5th season in the NHL, Matthews’ 4th. In terms of PPG, GPG, and any significant stat that matters, Matthews has had a better career to this point. I’m sure Matthews’ 5th season will blow Jack’s out the water too, just like his 4th.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

This is Eichel’s 5th season in the NHL, Matthews’ 4th. In terms of PPG, GPG, and any significant stat that matters, Matthews has had a better career to this point. I’m sure Matthews’ 5th season will blow Jack’s out the water too, just like his 4th.

that very well may happen, but what does that have to do with who is better at this moment? Which is what the poll is.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

Lmfao the 1 year gap gets a little insignificant when the players are 22/23 don't you think?

Either way Eichels next season will probably be better. Also doubt Eichel's current season gets blown out the water.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews.

Much better goal scorer, better shot, better defensively, much better on face offs, better leader etc.

All that being said, it's impressive what Eichel is doing in Buffalo. He's certainly a dynamic player. If it's more of the same next year, I'd look for him to ask out of there, and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What a great poll, lots of passion in the comments too.

Can't ask for much better than a 53/47% split after 500+ votes.

These two will likely be neck and neck their entire careers and their respective franchises are lucky as hell.

Both Toronto and Buffalo need to get their shit together because much like McDavid/Drai, these careers are being wasted. Time for these guys to become playoff legends.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This one is close, but Eichel has been better all season, Matthews had a small blip in December where he wasn't noticeable in games. Not sure if this was him tuning out the coaching. But it is what it is. Matthews is the better goalscorer this year 42-32 but Eichel is the much better puck distributor. 41-29 assists. I also think he has been the better 2 way player 5 v 5. Eichel is a +14 on a -15 GF/GA differential team, Matthews is +13 on a + 15 GF/GA differential team. Eichel leads in points despite not having a Marner or Hyman to work with or overall offensive talent that Matthews has. Going to be close every year, or until Eichel gets a better team around him. But Eichel has been slightly better the entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad