Speculation: Eichel Megathread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
impossible to say. Sounds like Calgary, Anaheim, and NYR. I don’t think Vegas and Minnesota are “out” though
It's hard to count anyone out completely, but after filing for arbitration with Fiala I'm not sure what sort of deal the Wild could actually get done. They would likely need:
  1. A third team willing to pay full price on Fiala while sending zero cap back to the Wild
  2. Buffalo's asking price to drop substantially
2 will probably happen to some extent, but maybe not to the degree that the Wild are hoping for. I don't see 1 happening at all.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I don’t think Vegas and Minnesota are “out” though
You just need to take a look at Vegas roster to realize they are completely out. There's nothing of value there for Buffalo in their current state.

Unless Kevyn Adams wants to embarrass Buffalo Sabres as a franchise in another deal. Then Vegas is definitely a front runner.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That embedded Sabres video, made me not like the cut of Adams' jib

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
impossible to say. Sounds like Calgary, Anaheim, and NYR. I don’t think Vegas and Minnesota are “out” though

By the time someone with credibility hears something and reports it, there is like 15 more phone conversations with GM's. This is almost more fluid than Covid at this point.

Reactions: Duck Off

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
More then likely NYR (cap space/assets)
Outside shot of ANA/LA
Cal/LV/Minn would all need to send substantial cap back to buffalo for years to accommodate a trade.
Still looking like it might take a 3-way deal to get done somehow.
Still think NYR is the front runner, not that I’m thrilled by it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
More then likely NYR (cap space/assets)
Outside shot of ANA/LA
Cal/LV/Minn would all need to send substantial cap back to buffalo for years to accommodate a trade.
Still looking like it might take a 3-way deal to get done somehow.
Still think NYR is the front runner, not that I’m thrilled by it.

I don't think there is a front runner at this point. Sabres asking price is substantial and other teams are just trying to tinker with their packages they already offered. Sabres think someone will get desperate and it's not happening until his surgery is figured out. Too much risks to trade good young assets plus your 1st that could be a lottery pick... when Eichel might not play half a season

Reactions: tomd

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
So what teams are left and really, really in the Eichel bidding war?

Really Really in? Idk. Just pure speculation on who I think is out though: Wild (apparently backed out) Ducks (Lost 3rd ov pick) , LA (They have enough centres for eternity) , CBJ .

I’d guess Rangers are still in and he goes to Vegas.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure the Habs offer is...

Kotkaniemi
Guhle
2023 1st
2024 1st
Drouin (cap reasons)

* It's possible that Bergevin might offer them one of KK/Poehling and one of Guhle/Romanov.
* I don't see any other team offering a Suzuki or Caufield type piece and I feel the Sabres are annoyed by this. Not just with the Habs, but with all teams calling them with offers.

Reactions: Fatass

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
FYI LA has next to zero cap space
Yea their recent moves, especially Danault signal they are more an outside shot more then anything at this point. I also doubt the ducks want to give up a lot. Even with Eichel, losing the assets it takes to get him would set their rebuild back a little bit, just to make them a little better now, but worse off later

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I can't find confirmation anywhere that Letang had a fusion done. It could have been a discectomy.
I think Removing the disc (and not putting in a new synthetic one) forces the vertebrae to fuse. The surgeon adds a patch between the vertebrae to stimulate bone growth so they fuse. I think the doctor screws a plate across the joint too. Letang must have gotten that procedure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Removing the disc (and not putting in a new synthetic one) forces the vertebrae to fuse. The surgeon adds a patch between the vertebrae to stimulate bone growth so they fuse. I think the doctor screws a plate across the joint too. Letang must have gotten that procedure.

Seems scary to think about it it was me!

When I look at how he got hurt, I'm like... WTF? That didn't look that bad

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Pretty sure the Habs offer is...

Kotkaniemi
Guhle
2023 1st
2024 1st
Drouin (cap reasons)

* It's possible that Bergevin might offer them one of KK/Poehling and one of Guhle/Romanov.
* I don't see any other team offering a Suzuki or Caufield type piece and I feel the Sabres are annoyed by this. Not just with the Habs, but with all teams calling them with offers.
If the Habs are offering this, then the Sabres should 100% take it. Kotkaniemi is an excellent return. Then add the firsts too! The firsts must be conditional though. That would be maybe keeping this from happening? What are the conditions?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Seems like the Rangers and Ducks could put together the best package, just not sure if they'd want too.

Calgary can't match the return but would actually do it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs are offering this, then the Sabres should 100% take it. Kotkaniemi is an excellent return. Then add the firsts too! The firsts must be conditional though. That would be maybe keeping this from happening? What are the conditions?

I'd put conditions on how many games Eichel plays. Cause if he is not healthy and has issues with his neck that linger on, those 1st can be lottery picks if the Habs don't have Eichel in the line-up.

That I believe is our max offer. We can't go deeper.

Draft is in Montreal next year. I believe we will want to keep our 1st. This gives one full calendar year to get Eichel healthy again. If he has issues and it lingers into 22/23, the 1st's would come with these types of conditions...

Conditions could be something like this...
2023 1st (Top 10 protected if Eichel don't play 100 games in two seasons).
2024 1st (Becomes a 2nd if Eichel don't play 150 games from 21/22 to 23/24)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd put conditions on how many games Eichel plays. Cause if he is not healthy and has issues with his neck that linger on, those 1st can be lottery picks if the Habs don't have Eichel in the line-up.

Agreed. Jack plays < 60 games in each of the seasons of the first round pick, and it becomes a third?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. Jack plays < 60 games in each of the seasons of the first round pick, and it becomes a third?

Something around games played yes. It would have to be carefully thought through to make it fair to both the Sabres and Habs. If Eichel plays, that means he is healthy and the Habs might be OK to give up unprotected 1st's. However, if he don't play, his injuries linger on and those 1st have to be tied to games played

Reactions: Fatass

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Draft is in Montreal next year. I believe we will want to keep our 1st. This gives one full calendar year to get Eichel healthy again. If he has issues and it lingers into 22/23, the 1st's would come with these types of conditions...

Conditions could be something like this...
2023 1st (Top 10 protected if Eichel don't play 100 games in two seasons).
2024 1st (Becomes a 2nd if Eichel don't play 150 games from 21/22 to 23/24)

The Sabres can always send Florida’s 2022 1st to Montreal as a guarantee that the Habs have a 1st next year. But no conditions on the Habs 2022 1st

I know that’s not preferable, especially if it means the Habs pick results in the Sabres picking Savoie, or even worse, Wright, but it would mean Drouin is gone, which I think is a plus for you guys.

And if the Habs pick wins the lottery, it wouldn’t count as a lottery win for the Sabres, which would result in “Tampa is a bunch of cheaters” level salt on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad