Speculation: Eichel Megathread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If the Wild need to move Fiala with zero retention and little to no cap coming back in return , the Devils should be interested and able to work something out ?
Devils get Fiala with zero retention and send picks and or prospects on ELC ‘s back ? Wild can then some or all the assets they themselves get from NJ plus whatever they can offer to make the deal for Eichel work ?
Could that be an option for the Wild ?
Devils could take the cap easily and have tons of low cost contracts. I’m just not sure what Fiala would cost
Is there any other teams interested in Eichel that could offer a scoring winger to NJ to try to lower cap hit to facilitate a trade ? Similar to the Devils trading for Fiala ? Perhaps Vegas and Tuch or would he be seen as untouchable and not the way they would want to gain cap room and /or Tuch would be part of the package to Buffalo ?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Sabres can always send Florida’s 2022 1st to Montreal as a guarantee that the Habs have a 1st next year. But no conditions on the Habs 2022 1st

I know that’s not preferable, especially if it means the Habs pick results in the Sabres picking Savoie, or even worse, Wright, but it would mean Drouin is gone, which I think is a plus for you guys.

And if the Habs pick wins the lottery, it wouldn’t count as a lottery win for the Sabres, which would result in “Tampa is a bunch of cheaters” level salt on here.

I'd personally be OK trading our 1st in 2022 if Eichel plays a certain amount of games. Tricky to follow but I just posted this on the Habs board as well. I feel the injury concerns can be addressed in conditions. To be honest, I don't see the Habs going any deeper than this and it's very possible Bergevin has not gone this deep yet

Eichel max offer:
* Kotkaniemi
* Guhle
* 2022 1st
* 2023 1st
* Drouin (cap reasons)

1st round pick conditions (tricky to list in disclaimers but I feel these type of conditions are required):
* If Eichel don't play 50 games next year, the 2022 1st becomes a 2023 1st and pushes the other 1st to 2024 (See ** below). If he plays 51 games or more, the 2022 1st has no protection.
* 2023 1st has top 10 lottery protection (no exceptions)
** 2024 1st becomes a 2nd if Eichel don't play 150 games in the next 3 seasons. If he plays 151 games or more, it has top 10 lottery protection

Reactions: Fatass

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'd personally be OK trading our 1st in 2022 if Eichel plays a certain amount of games. Tricky to follow but I just posted this on the Habs board as well. I feel the injury concerns can be addressed in conditions... To be honest, I don't see the Habs going any deeper than this and it's very possible Bergevin has not gone this deep yet

Eichel max offer:
* Kotkaniemi
* Guhle
* 2022 1st
* 2023 1st
* Drouin (cap reasons)

1st round pick conditions (tricky to list in disclaimers but I feel these type of conditions are required):
* If Eichel don't play 50 games next year, the 2022 1st becomes a 2023 1st and pushes the other 1st to 2024 (See ** below). If he plays 51 games or more, the 2022 1st has no protection.
* 2023 1st has top 10 lottery protection (no exceptions)
** 2024 1st becomes a 2nd if Eichel don't play 150 games in the next 3 seasons. If he plays 151 games or more, it has top 10 lottery protection

The only way I can see Adams agreeing to the protections is if it gets bonus picks attached for each of those years. Nothing major, but like a 4th for each season that the Sabres don’t receive a 1st.

I also can’t see him making a trade where the Sabres don’t receive a 1st until 2025 (at the latest).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only way I can see Adams agreeing to the protections is if it gets bonus picks attached for each of those years. Nothing major, but like a 4th for each season that the Sabres don’t receive a 1st.

I also can’t see him making a trade where the Sabres don’t receive a 1st until 2025 (at the latest).

Fair. Basically it's two 1st's and they could be in the next two years or 2 out of the next 3 years. The 2nd 1st turns into a 2nd rounder if Eichel's career is derailed. I'm sure the Sabres can consider that fair? If Eichel plays less than 150 games over the next 3 years, the Habs loose that trade big time cause there is something serious wrong with his health and his career is in jeopardy. Sabres have to consider being flexible on that possible narrative cause they are not trading a player who is 100% healthy. Engage on getting creative in conditions and we might have a deal

So lets say Eichel plays less than 50 games next year but more than 150 over the next 3 years. It becomes a protected 1st in 2023 and 2024. We can fight a bit more on top 3 protection or top 10 protection. If that's the stumbling block, we are close. Sabres will be smart to stay down for a few years anyways then rise with a shit load of guys growing together (not just two... Eichel/Dahlin).

If you are the Sabres, you want Eichel to play 51 games or more next year cause in my offer, the 2021 1st is unprotected.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
All of Edmontons cap dumps:

Koskinen ($4.5), Turris ($1.65), Kassian ($3.2) = $9.35 AAV

Broberg, Holloway + as many picks as you need till you think it's fair.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If the Wild need to move Fiala with zero retention and little to no cap coming back in return , the Devils should be interested and able to work something out ?
Devils get Fiala with zero retention and send picks and or prospects on ELC ‘s back ? Wild can then some or all the assets they themselves get from NJ plus whatever they can offer to make the deal for Eichel work ?
Could that be an option for the Wild ?
Devils could take the cap easily and have tons of low cost contracts. I’m just not sure what Fiala would cost
Is there any other teams interested in Eichel that could offer a scoring winger to NJ to try to lower cap hit to facilitate a trade ? Similar to the Devils trading for Fiala ? Perhaps Vegas and Tuch or would he be seen as untouchable and not the way they would want to gain cap room and /or Tuch would be part of the package to Buffalo ?
The problem with trading Fiala at this point is that there's now an arbitration hearing on the horizon. I don't know if there's a date scheduled for that, but for various reasons I think it's unlikely that the team and player will agree on terms before then. If the hearing actually happens then Fiala's looking at either a 1- or 2-year deal and I'm guessing that neither of those would be ideal for the acquiring team. They'd probably want to make that trade before the hearing so that they could sign him to something longer term.

Which is to say: if the 3-way idea is even in the realm of possibility it needs to happen before Fiala's arbitration hearing. And the way things are going it seems unlikely that the price on Eichel would drop enough for the Wild's liking before that happens. It seems like too many moving parts and ticking clocks to me.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Who say's no?

NSHBUF
EichelAskarov
Jeanott
2022 1st
2023 2nd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Buffalo says no pretty easily.

The Sabres probably feel pretty good about their goalie prospects so Askarov doesn't move the needle enough. Jeanott is a nice player but not nearly enough to be the 2nd player in the offer. The picks are likely to be mid-round so not much value there either.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Really Really in? Idk. Just pure speculation on who I think is out though: Wild (apparently backed out) Ducks (Lost 3rd ov pick) , LA (They have enough centres for eternity) , CBJ .

I’d guess Rangers are still in and he goes to Vegas.

I thought a 3-way. Of
Eichel to NYR
Zibby-to LV
And Krebs LV 1st plus a solid Rangers prospect/ young player

was basis for a deal. But it seems that NYR if they acquired Eichel would also like to keep Zibby in the fold as well, for at least the next 5 seasons. So who the hell knows at this point. I know NYR is still in.
That’s the only reason i see why they haven’t used their cap space or traded for another C, so close to camp starting.
Plus their line up contains too many forwards and not enough spots currently. Eichel or no Eichel, I’d bet there is some sort of trade for a C going to NY coming down the pike soon.

Reactions: Taluss

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I thought a 3-way. Of
Eichel to NYR
Zibby-to LV
And Krebs LV 1st plus a solid Rangers prospect/ young player

was basis for a deal. But it seems that NYR if they acquired Eichel would also like to keep Zibby in the fold as well, for at least the next 5 seasons. So who the hell knows at this point. I know NYR is still in.
That’s the only reason i see why they haven’t used their cap space or traded for another C, so close to camp starting
Why wouldn't the Rangers want to keep Zibby and go 1-2 up the middle with Eichel?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Why wouldn't the Rangers want to keep Zibby and go 1-2 up the middle with Eichel?
With Zibby becoming a UFA next season and needing a big raise, there were questions of paying Eichel and Zibby both 10 mill a season, and giving everyone else raises. But it appears they can certainly go that route if they wanted to. It’s unlikely Zibby will be moved now.
Especially since Eichel isn’t likely to be ready for the start of the season

LyNX27

With Zibby becoming a UFA next season and needing a big raise, there were questions of paying Eichel and Zibby both 10 mill a season, and giving everyone else raises. But it appears they can certainly go that route if they wanted to. It’s unlikely Zibby will be moved now.
Especially since Eichel isn’t likely to be ready for the start of the season

The ghost of Kreider/Trouba/Goodrow and 4.5 million in contract buyouts biting us in the ass. Must be nice to be getting sweetheart deals (TBL/BOS/COL).

NYR need to learn how to sell their own project when negotiating with players.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The ghost of Kreider/Trouba/Goodrow and 4.5 million in contract buyouts biting us in the ass. Must be nice to be getting sweetheart deals (TBL/BOS/COL).

NYR need to learn how to sell their own project when negotiating with players.
I highly doubt all 3 of those guys play their entire contract length here, but that’s a different discussion. None of the 3 above would make it impossible from running a Eichel/Zibby 1 2 punch for the next 5-6 seasons if they wanted to.

mans yes, Tampa knows how to skirt the lines of the system with the best of them

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who say's no?

NSHBUF
EichelAskarov
Jeanott
2022 1st
2023 2nd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

For as much as I like him, not sure Askarov as the prime piece gets it done. I believe they are looking for a young center and young guy on D as the prime pieces. If you were them, you would ask for the same thing

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I recall Hanzal being his back. Dorsett was his neck. But his skill was blocking punches with his face, so I imagine the whiplash effect wasn’t helpful with his surgery.
I mean, there are all sorts of players that have had back surgeries, but fusion and the artificial disc replacement seem to be pretty rare for active hockey players. I wonder why they are opting for those two options, rather than more common surgeries? Is it the location on the spine? Many back problems are further down.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I mean, there are all sorts of players that have had back surgeries, but fusion and the artificial disc replacement seem to be pretty rare for active hockey players. I wonder why they are opting for those two options, rather than more common surgeries? Is it the location on the spine? Many back problems are further down.

I dunno. I don’t think they’ve said what vertebrae it is. Just that it’s his neck.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s in the neck though. The lumbar is load bearing. The neck isn’t.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Who say's no?

NSHBUF
EichelAskarov
Jeanott
2022 1st
2023 2nd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

buffalo rasy….

they have in their goalie pipeline

1. UPL who won the WJC with Finland starting year 3 of ELC draft 2017 2nd round

2. Erik Portillo drafted in 2019 3rd round. He is to be Univvof Michigan starting goalie in 21/22

3, Devon Levi who was CAN WJC goalie last year they acquires as part of Reinhart trade I think was drafted in 2020 and playing in NCAA.

goalie is not a focus in trading Eichel.

Reactions: oOwlCat

LyNX27

I highly doubt all 3 of those guys play their entire contract length here, but that’s a different discussion. None of the 3 above would make it impossible from running a Eichel/Zibby 1 2 punch for the next 5-6 seasons if they wanted to.

mans yes, Tampa knows how to skirt the lines of the system with the best of them

Doesn't make it possible, but it would make it easier for sure.

- 4.5 million in contract buyouts covers Zibby's pay increase from 5 mill to 9.5 mill.
- 1 million off Kreider puts him at 5.5 million which is reasonable for his return and variance of play.
- Trouba is fine, but he'll have a hard time playing up to that contract later into his career.
- 1A/1B of Z/E means that Strome's 4.5 will likely be traded for picks or just let go into UFA.

Honestly, this trade is so mangled by Eichel being pre-surgery and by Adams holding him hostage for a king's ransom (rightfully so), but I think the conditional picks or 3rd trade partner might be what eventually unlocks the trade... Maybe even a combination of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad