• 1. Eichel 2. Pettersson 3. Matthews

• 1. Matthews 2. Eichel 3. Pettersson

• 1. Matthews 2. Pettersson 3. Eichel

• 1. Pettersson 2. Eichel 3. Matthews

• 1. Pettersson 2. Matthews 3. Eichel

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
It's hilarious that Pettersson's season is seen as "unsustainable rookie" when his OnIceShooting% is virtually the same as Matthews this year.

Mitch Marner's OnIceShooting% is much higher than Pettersson's this year, not a peep about that though.
5v5 Matthews has a 11.5% OnIceShooting%
Pettersson has a 12.6%
Marners has 12.7%
So your post is pretty misleading.

Matthews and Marner get their big jumps in their overall OnIceShooting% from the PP (which is likely for the most part actually fairly sustainable given the amount of talent that they have on that one unit / Marners PPOiS% is actually the exact same as it was last year) and 3/3 and 4/4 play.

So although all 3 players are due for some regression as are most of the players amongst the top 50 in scoring Pettersson and Marner are definitely going to be seeing more regression than what Matthews will be. In all honesty given the quality of where Matthews generates most of his scoring chances from, his numbers probably aren't super far of from being some what sustainable as well but that's just my 2 cents.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Honestly any of these guys could be the best of the bunch in 5 years, they are all really talented with room to grow.

For now, my personal opinion is that Pettersson will be the best in 5 years. The guy is a stud already, has crazy high IQ, appears to be all business and competitive to the max, and is being mostly held back seemingly by his still maturing body. Not sure if he is genetically predisposed to being thin, but if he isn't, and can put on a few more pounds of muscle, he just strikes me as the guy who has the most to gain moving forward. Since they are all pretty close skill wise now, that's why Ill choose him in 5 years, after I assume he will grow into a more NHL ready body.

After that, Matthews for me, and he could very easily be the best. Eichel last for me, hes having a stellar year, but to me he feels like hes the closest to his ceiling already, and the other two are right there with him, with more room to grow that I feel he is likely to fall behind them.

Obviously this is all my opinion, and I am not stating any of these opinions as certainties.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
5v5 Matthews has a 11.5% OnIceShooting%
Pettersson has a 12.6%
Marners has 12.7%
So your post is pretty misleading.

Matthews and Marner get their big jumps in their overall OnIceShooting% from the PP (which is likely for the most part actually fairly sustainable given the amount of talent that they have on that one unit / Marners PPOiS% is actually the exact same as it was last year) and 3/3 and 4/4 play.

So although all 3 players are due for some regression as are most of the players amongst the top 50 in scoring Pettersson and Marner are definitely going to be seeing more regression than what Matthews will be. In all honesty given the quality of where Matthews generates most of his scoring chances from, his numbers probably aren't super far of from being some what sustainable as well but that's just my 2 cents.
Your numbers are wrong.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Your numbers are wrong.
Here's the links and screen shots of their 5v5 OIS% I don't see where my numbers were wrong?
Auston Matthews NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com
Mitch Marner NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com
Elias Pettersson NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com
Screenshot_20190130-050316_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190130-050339_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190130-050401_Chrome.jpg

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Now that it has been a full season we can get a better judgement of these three players. Three of the top young centers in the game.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Probably Matthews/Pettersson then Eichel. I think EP has the highest ceiling but Matthews is a safer choice. Eichel is great but something about him seems like he has underachieved or his attitude rubs me the wrong way. Can’t put my finger on it exactly. Doesn’t help him that I’m a big fan of Matthews and Pettersson.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Probably Matthews/Pettersson then Eichel. I think EP has the highest ceiling but Matthews is a safer choice. Eichel is great but something about him seems like he has underachieved or his attitude rubs me the wrong way. Can’t put my finger on it exactly. Doesn’t help him that I’m a big fan of Matthews and Pettersson.

Funny, I feel the same way.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Who's the most likely of the 3 to get (the most) Selke consideration/votes in their career?
Matthews probably, he's very popular among voters.

If he was healthy last year or this year like he was in his rookie season he would get all sorts of votes for different awards.

In his rookie season he was actually voted 11in hart and had a few random selke votes not that the latter was signifcant but relevant.

Eichel used to be atricous in his own end he's probably improved but the stigma is there, I don't see any selke votes coming his way anytime soon though.

And Pettersson I have no clue. Nucks fan say he's amazing defensively but I haven't checked the numbers and my alright number of viewings he hasn't seemed to stick out so I won't comment really.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The fact that Pettersson has any votes as #1 out of these three just shows how little some people put in sample sizes

Where is Matthews and Eichel’s 20-game streaks where they only scored once? Where are Matthews and Eichel’s unsustainable shooting percentages?

Pettersson is the most overhyped player in the league

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Eichel is a pretty easy #3 for me. I have Matthews at #1, but I really like Pettersson and would not be shocked if he ends up the best.

Mar 26, 2010
Pettersson has done nothing to be in this conversation. Absolutely nothing. 20 something odd goals.

Matthews scored 40 as a teenager!! The Leafs have never missed the playoffs since he put the Leafs sweater on. Can not say the same for Pettersson.

Also, Eichel >>>>>>>>>>> pettersson AINEC.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Call me crazy but I have this crazy idea that Eichel is going to blow us away in the near future.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Pettersson has done nothing to be in this conversation. Absolutely nothing. 20 something odd goals.

Matthews scored 40 as a teenager!! The Leafs have never missed the playoffs since he put the Leafs sweater on. Can not say the same for Pettersson.

"20 something odd goals"

It's 27 in 70 games. Not bad for a rookie playing in North America for the first time. He also has room to gain 30+ pounds in muscle over the next few seasons.

Mar 26, 2010
"20 something odd goals"

It's 27 in 70 games. Not bad for a rookie playing in North America for the first time. He also has room to gain 30+ pounds in muscle over the next few seasons.
Matthews scored 40 goals at 19 years old, taking the last place Maple Leafs team to the playoffs...and never missed in 3 years!!!

I am not arguing over this. I honest could not care less about pettersson. Out.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I still think it's Matthews just because when they're at their very best, he's so utterly dominating that he plays at an all world level. Two games ago he had multiple shifts in succession where I thought I was watching 109 points in 75 games Malkin. Players bouncing off of him, great vision, crazy stickhandling etc. He's an above PPG player that had multiple injuries and rotating wingers all the time. Assuming fully healthy and Nylander next season to start with (hopefully with one of Kapanen or Johnsson beside them), I think he blows this poll out the water.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Back to your AINEC routine again regarding Canucks. Yes Mathews did do 40 in rookie year hasn't again yet even with a stacked core to work with. Didn't you learn not to use AINEC routine after Horvat just crushed against Kadri and we know how you voted. Mathews hasn't improved since rookie year you could say he's regressed in scoring really. Good luck in playoffs I hope he actually does something this season in them.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

The leafs have also never missed the playoffs with Zaitsev on the team. Can’t say the same about Pettersson.

I do agree with most of what you are saying but making the playoffs is not relevant at all. Doubt Matthews would carry a trash team like the Canucks into the playoffs either.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
The leafs have also never missed the playoffs with Zaitsev on the team. Can’t say the same about Pettersson.

I do agree with most of what you are saying but making the playoffs is not relevant at all. Doubt Matthews would carry a trash team like the Canucks into the playoffs either.

Well he did lead a team from last overall to making the playoffs the next year as a rookie so wouldn't be so sure he couldn't.

Matthews is the best of the 3 and Eichel is second. Pettersson really doesn't deserve to be in the conversation at this point. Voting him first is absurd. Still a great player but come on...

WestCoastFinnie

Oct 20, 2018
Matthews scored 40 goals at 19 years old, taking the last place Maple Leafs team to the playoffs...and never missed in 3 years!!!

My guy, just admit it. You are obsessed with Pettersson. He lives rent free in your brain.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

You should probably put less stock in scoring 40 goals considering Matthews hasn't been healthy enough to repeat it since his rookie season.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Well he did lead a team from last overall to making the playoffs the next year as a rookie so wouldn't be so sure he couldn't.

Matthews is the best of the 3 and Eichel is second. Pettersson really doesn't deserve to be in the conversation at this point. Voting him first is absurd. Still a great player but come on...

Matthews isnt leading the Canucks to anything.

Read the thread title : "Five years from now".

Mar 26, 2010
You should probably put less stock in scoring 40 goals considering Matthews hasn't been healthy enough to repeat it since his rookie season.
37 goals so far this season in only 67 games. He was on pace for 50 +. Yeah....

I am done here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3