• 1. Eichel 2. Pettersson 3. Matthews

• 1. Matthews 2. Eichel 3. Pettersson

• 1. Matthews 2. Pettersson 3. Eichel

• 1. Pettersson 2. Eichel 3. Matthews

• 1. Pettersson 2. Matthews 3. Eichel

Results are only viewable after voting.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's hilarious that Pettersson's season is seen as "unsustainable rookie" when his OnIceShooting% is virtually the same as Matthews this year.

Mitch Marner's OnIceShooting% is much higher than Pettersson's this year, not a peep about that though.

Source for your stats? HockeyReference has Pettersson shooting at 27% +

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Source for your stats? HockeyReference has Pettersson shooting at 27% +
he's talking about on ice shooting percentage. Although Matthews' is closer to Pettersson's (EP's is still higher), Matthews also generates a lot more while he's on the ice. As does Eichel.

Matthews has outperformed his expected goals by ~7, Pettersson has by ~14

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
he's talking about on ice shooting percentage. Although Matthews' is closer to Pettersson's (EP's is still higher), Matthews also generates a lot more while he's on the ice. As does Eichel.

Matthews has outperformed his expected goals by ~7, Pettersson has by ~14
Pettersson’s is higher by .01.

Matthews has been in the league for 3 season, Pettersson has been in the league for. 1. No one thinks Pettersson is better than Eichel or Matthews right now.

I just find the shooting% stuff odd, great players usually have high one ice shooting %’s. Look at peak Crosby, McDavid etc

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Pettersson’s is higher by .01.

Matthews has been in the league for 3 season, Pettersson has been in the league for. 1. No one thinks Pettersson is better than Eichel or Matthews right now.

I just find the shooting% stuff odd, great players usually have high one ice shooting %’s. Look at peak Crosby, McDavid etc
Pettersson is kind of weird, because Vancouver really doesn't generate a whole lot while he's on the ice. He plays against mediocre competition too. Don't get me wrong, I think he's elite offensively. he'll probably create a lot more chances while his shooting percentages drop and his production will be great, but not quite as good as it is now

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Pettersson is kind of weird, because Vancouver really doesn't generate a whole lot while he's on the ice. He plays against mediocre competition too. Don't get me wrong, I think he's elite offensively. he'll probably create a lot more chances while his shooting percentages drop and his production will be great, but not quite as good as it is now
Again QOC is a farce in advanced stats, there’s been way too many studies done that conclude and show this.

Stop making QOC be some major thing it’s not 2014.

Also, huh? Pettersson leads Canucks who have played over 20 games in CFRel, the idea that you conclude he doesn’t generate a lot on the ice is nonsensical and complete blasphemy.

Blindly looking at advanced stats will never tell the full picture in terms of analyzing top players in the league.

Mitch Marner has a negative CfRel this season I guess he doesn’t create much for the Leafs either right?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
How is that stat calculated though? That's really interesting. I can't remember a time a leading scorer of a team generates a limited amount of 'offense' so to speak.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You guys could also focus on the things Pettersson is capable of seeing and doing on the ice, and the need to stat watch would diminish.

Those numbers are a good tool to aid in player valuations, and are excellent to delve into when things aren’t apparent, but Pettersson having the tools thst very few NHLers have is beyond obvious.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
You guys could also focus on the things Pettersson is capable of seeing and doing on the ice, and the need to stat watch would diminish.

Those numbers are a good tool to aid in player valuations, and are excellent to delve into when things aren’t apparent, but Pettersson having the tools thst very few NHLers have is beyond obvious.

I mean assuming that he won’t maintain a 27 percent shooting percentage is common sense.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I mean assuming that he won’t maintain a 27 percent shooting percentage is common sense.
I don’t disagree. And at the same time I reiterate. Forget any goal or assist he’s ever been credited with and only focus on everything inbetween the points. He has tools and vision that a very, very small number of elite players have.

To me, any super hot streaks or cold streaks the kid may have in his rookie year don’t mean as much as the uniqueness and high level of his skill set.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Again QOC is a farce in advanced stats, there’s been way too many studies done that conclude and show this.

Stop making QOC be some major thing it’s not 2014.

Also, huh? Pettersson leads Canucks who have played over 20 games in CFRel, the idea that you conclude he doesn’t generate a lot on the ice is nonsensical and complete blasphemy.

Blindly looking at advanced stats will never tell the full picture in terms of analyzing top players in the league.

Mitch Marner has a negative CfRel this season I guess he doesn’t create much for the Leafs either right?
you're getting way too upset for a post that was almost completely complimentary. QoC is not a farce. playing against elite players is harder than playing against 3rd liners. that's not rocket science. Otherwise you'd have to admit Dermott is better than Rielly, for instance.

CFrel is not my measure of offensive generation. You brought it up and then used it to put down Marner as some sort of gotcha, as if I was the one who thought it was meaningful in this discussion.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don’t disagree. And at the same time I reiterate. Forget any goal or assist he’s ever been credited with and only focus on everything inbetween the points. He has tools and vision that a very, very small number of elite players have.

To me, any super hot streaks or cold streaks the kid may have in his rookie year don’t mean as much as the uniqueness and high level of his skill set.

Eh, all 3 are pretty special. I don't know that Pettersson necessarily has a better skillset than Matthews or Eichel.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
you're getting way too upset for a post that was almost completely complimentary. QoC is not a farce. playing against elite players is harder than playing against 3rd liners. that's not rocket science. Otherwise you'd have to admit Dermott is better than Rielly, for instance.

CFrel is not my measure of offensive generation. You brought it up and then used it to put down Marner as some sort of gotcha, as if I was the one who thought it was meaningful in this discussion.
The Analytic community have refuted the concept of QOC for an extended period of time if you’re gonna use analytics you need to be consistent with your approach.

What’s your measure of “driving the play then”?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Matthews is all pace hasnt broke 70 points yet, just saying..
matthews and eichel have more than 70 points. they have over 150 actually. petersson is the only one who doesn't have 70 points in his career.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Shoot, if only my lower degree in Analytics and my career in analytics was enough instead of a PHD.

I do think Pettersson will score 35-40 in a season - but it won’t be on 27.8% shooting a season and him scoring 40 a season wasn’t my argument anyway. I’m not bashing Pettersson in the way you think I am. I just don’t think he is quite the player a lot of canucks fans think he is - and that’s ok. The margins of difference we are arguing are minimal.

The problem is most Canucks fans don't think he's this good because of just his shot. Its his already advanced all-around game, in the best league, while he's still being physically immature.

The fact he's this good at center already, on both sides of the puck, for only playing 7 games of center last season is absolutely mind-blowing. It was so beyond unexpected at the beginning of the season that he'd be this good at center this quickly.

Its really not about lucky shooting, besides he's probably more of a playmaker style-wise.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Agreed. I think its fair to say that EP needs to create more of his own offence than Matthews but I think it's also fair to say that he's better at doing that. And he's a better playmaker. The lack of a Rielly and Gardiner to set up EP is somewhat compensated by those advantages and the arrival of Hughes especially on the PP should be huge. The one advantage that Matthews does have is that he has the Tavares/Marner line to take some of the pressure off him and other teams probably focus more on that line. On Vancouver the entire focus is on shutting down the EP/Boeser line. Which makes his rookie season all the more remarkable.

No it's not considering EP doesn't even rank among the best in chances generated, Matthews in his first few seasons was only behind McDavid and Crosby in that regard. It's fair to say he's being overrated just as Matthews has been.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
EP is also a first overall franchise talent. Its not his fault scouts didnt draft him because he was 160 pounds. Look at Hischier vs EP polls in the beginning of the season.

Look, winning a poll on HF boards means absolutely nothing. Whether Matthews, Eichel or EP is better i really dont care. The point is that I think there wont be MUCH separating these players going forward. You would take 100 dollars over 99.95 dollars 100% of the time right?

I think he'll be better than Eichel, and probably close to Matthews. His play so far does not indicate that he'll be better though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad