Eichel/Hall/Skinner =$27M For Combined 3 Goals

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Do you and others who say this ever look back and read what you write? Do you reflect on how asinine it is to think one player is to blame for teams tanking? Reconsider your fandom.

Is it just as stupid as saying one player is responsible for carrying a team to the playoffs.?

I never said Hall is responsible for making the Devils tank but the proof is there that they are a better team since he left.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Your team has been junk for 10+ years -- clearly have no leg to stand on there. Atleast with the Leafs we've been able to watch meaningful games with our young guns -- only meaningful games you've likely watched Eichel in is when he played for Team North America.

Also Ottawa is basically the only team that we're not beating up on -- have a clue.

Gotta say though, my favorite part about Sabre threads is coming in and reading your posts. Always seeping with Leafs/Matthews jealousy.

If I'm being honest, I feel bad for some Sabre fans (not u).. But especially feel bad for Eichel, can clearly see playing for a crap team is just eating away at him. Hopefully for the Sabres sake they can find a quick way to turn it around or else I see Jack wanting out.
Spot on.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I never said Hall is responsible for making the Devils tank but the proof is there that they are a better team since he left.

Better than whatever time frame that fits your narrative, but they made the playoffs with Hall and didn't when he left. And proof of what? You can't draw simple conclusions like that when so many things changed. Different line combinations, different players, different goalie, different gm, different coach..

And sure this is a team sport, it's always a team effort, and saying he was the sole reason for making the playoffs maybe exaggerating. But you can't deny that he was the biggest reason for it, having something like 30-40pts more than the next devil.

For what it's worth I think it was the right move to trade him (since he was an ufa) and that the devils are in a much better place right now. But it's mostly because coaching change, Blackwood, Hughes and the other young kids stepping up.

Reactions: Klondiker98

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I don't think there is a team in the league that has had as consistent bad coaching as the Sabres have had since they fired Lindy Ruff.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Better than whatever time frame that fits your narrative, but they made the playoffs with Hall and didn't when he left. And proof of what? You can't draw simple conclusions like that when so many things changed. Different line combinations, different players, different goalie, different gm, different coach..

And sure this is a team sport, it's always a team effort, and saying he was the sole reason for making the playoffs maybe exaggerating. But you can't deny that he was the biggest reason for it, having something like 30-40pts more than the next devil.

For what it's worth I think it was the right move to trade him (since he was an ufa) and that the devils are in a much better place right now. But it's mostly because coaching change, Blackwood, Hughes and the other young kids stepping up.

They made the playoffs one year the whole time he was in NJ. They were playing at a much better pace last year after he was traded and if they had played a whole season without Hall and Hynes who knows how well they could have done?

I get that there have been a lot of changes since he left but he’s one of them. Nas isn’t that good of a head coach to make that big of a difference.

I’m not downplaying his accomplishments that season. He had a great year and deserved the Hart. But saying he carried the team is really disrespectful to everyone else who played with him and helped him win the Hart.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I feel your pain Sabres fans. For 2021 anyway. The Rangers and Sabres are neighbors in this division with almost the exact same record, goals for, goals against, and bewitched shooting luck.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Signing Skinner was a huge mistake. They are stuck under that albatross until his contract expires.

Hall was a good signing. Even if he doesn't work out, they can accumulate assets come TDL.

Eichel is one of the best players in the world, with a good contract. You keep him at all cost.
As long as those assets are better than the 1OA pick they would get when Hall wins them the lottery.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
They were playing at a much better pace last year after he was traded and if they had played a whole season without Hall and Hynes who knows how well they could have done?

Wait so let me get this clear, you're suggesting that had Hall been traded in the off season devils would have made the playoffs? Hynes' system, Schneider not being able to stop a puck etc were not issues, but instead it was all Hall shitting the bed (even though he was the leading scorer in the team).

But saying he carried the team is really disrespectful to everyone else who played with him and helped him win the Hart.

Is that what carried the team means? That everyone else sucks and were worthless?

What is disrespectful however is how some devils fans are treating Taylor Hall, like he was some cancer that dragged the devils down. I don't get the hate he gets from others either, amazing player, quiet soft spoken guy.

Reactions: Klondiker98

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
This post screams hurt. What the hell does the bolded even mean, it’s like a very specific random excuse.

and yes absolutely destroyed if you were in the Atlantic right now.. like not even close, the quality of the teams in that division minus Ottawa and Detroit is pretty stacked. Funny you come at the leafs with chirps and such, when your team hasn’t scored an ES goal in almost 3 games (wow!).. LMAO.

Team is in last place in your division & is 4-6-2 for 10 points, leafs are 12-3-2 for 26 points..

And the second bolded part.. why are you coming at the leafs when the sabres have literally been a bad team for ages now and only get worse. Hey maybe increase Jeff skinners contract from 9 to 10 mill.

don’t throw rocks when you live in a terribly constructed Papier-mâché house.

What a joke of a post
Sabres fan here. Not disagreeing with your attack on JackAttack. I can barely bring myself to skim his posts. His writing style is schizophrenic and his takes are the homerist of homers.

I gotta disagree with your take that the Sabres would be doing worse in the Atlantic than they are in the East. Playing against a normal schedule the Sabres would likely be about where they were last year in point %, .493. Not great...not terrible.

The Leafs however would be nowhere close to their current .765. You'd likely be around .600 and battling the Habs and Panthers all season for the 3rd-5th spot in the Atlantic.

The Sabres were 2-1-1 against you guys last year, we always play you tough even though you're a significantly better team.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Wait so let me get this clear, you're suggesting that had Hall been traded in the off season devils would have made the playoffs? Hynes' system, Schneider not being able to stop a puck etc were not issues, but instead it was all Hall shitting the bed (even though he was the leading scorer in the team).

Is that what carried the team means? That everyone else sucks and were worthless?

What is disrespectful however is how some devils fans are treating Taylor Hall, like he was some cancer that dragged the devils down. I don't get the hate he gets from others either, amazing player, quiet soft spoken guy.

Yes I am saying that the Devils could have made the playoffs if they had traded Hall in the offseason and fired Hynes sooner. Maybe a different coach would have put Blackwood in over Schneider much earlier.

Hall didn’t like playing in NJ, never wanted to be here, and obviously didn’t like the fans. Why do you like him so much?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Hall's deal made no sense. He didn't take a short term deal to sign with a legitimate contender, but he also didn't sign for job security on a long term deal if that's how he wanted to go.

He basically did the worst possible thing. Sign with a bad team, and with no job security.

It makes plenty of sense, especially since it was reported that Buffalo was offereing $3M more than any other team.

He knew he'd be playing with Eichel and the only way the Sabres would be in the playoff hunt is if Eichel/Hall were lighting it up, which means a revitalized Hall probably cashes in on his next deal. If they were out of it at the trade deadline (the much more likely scenario), Hall would have the opportunity to essentially pick where he wants to go since he has a NMC. It's almost better than picking a contender to go to in the offseason, as you can see how they are performing through more than half the season and it's easier for them to fit a 50% retained cap hit at the TDL.

Buffalo just eats most of his salary this year (as they'll certainly have to retain 50% at the deadline), but it's likely worth it for them to have potentially gotten this franchise going (not gonna happen), at least attract a top free agent if only for part of a season and get back some futures from trading Hall (though it won't be THAT much considering the NMC, so they can't just accept the best offer).

Hall to Boston appears to make the most sense, but he'll have a pick of several teams with decent odds of winning the Cup to choose from at the deadline.

Worst thing that could've happened to him (outside a devastating injury) would be for the Sabres to be a bubble team just on the outside of the playoffs all season and decide NOT to trade him at the deadline to try to chase and playoff spot. I'm sure he's somewhat relieved that won't be the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad