Eichel/Hall/Skinner =$27M For Combined 3 Goals

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
EucDeLoXIAEtt6Q

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
True. Although when signed, they probably figured he’d (yearly breakdown-wise) 1RW - 1RW - 2RW - 2/3RW - 3RW - 4RW/13yh forward. Instead of starting out as 3RW.

They never learned from getting Taveres’ wingers when it went downhill immediately with Moulson.
Okoposo had some pretty big injury and mental issues IIRC

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Removing Skinner from the post is the first thing--he has been a problem for awhile

Hall and Eichel? Eich has 11 pts in 12 games and Hall has 9 pts in 12 games,

Secondary scoring is the problem and that is where SKinner is supposed to jump in
I don't think zero es goals is what they were hoping to get for $8M from Hall.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Literally the only thing we can count on on a nightly basis is Olofsson’s shot. Nothing else is consistent about this team

Reactions: Kyndig

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Can anyone who watches the Sabres explain what's happening with Skinner. Is it possible he bounces back on another team, or is this a Lucic/Ericsson situation (not stylistically obviously) in that he seems to have lost something and won't ever bounce back?
He is playing pretty well and creating many chances, and his offensive analytics are some of the best on the team. The puck simply won’t go in for him, it’s just bizarre. 3 goals in his last 42 games

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sabres coaches going back to 2013:

Ron Rolston: no NHL coaching jobs since
Ted Nolan: no NHL coaching jobs since
Dan Bylsma: no NHL coaching jobs since assistant with Detroit
Phil Housely: back to being an assistant NHL coach
Ralph Krueger: doubt he'll get another NHL head coaching gig after he's fired/not re-signed

It's almost like the Pegula's have done a terrible job hiring NHL head coaches since they've owned the team.

The Sabres desperately need a quality NHL coach like Bourdeau or Gallant, but the Pegula's will never hire coaches like that because they'd rightfully balk at the "running the team by committee" approach the Pegula's demand

Why not putting the money on the table ans signing:

Mike Babcock, Gerard Gallant & Bruce Bourdreau as a combo?

Those guys know something how to build a hockey team. And not this f***ing misery.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Removing Skinner from the post is the first thing--he has been a problem for awhile

Hall and Eichel? Eich has 11 pts in 12 games and Hall has 9 pts in 12 games,

Secondary scoring is the problem and that is where SKinner is supposed to jump in

Who was the coach when Skinner did score 40 freaking goals with Eichel? Somebody has had some idea for them to gel together? Where did that go?

When secondary scoring is a problem, it's almost always coaching. Especially when you have talent like Eric Staal, Cozens, Hall, Skinner etc there.

You put Jeff Blashill to coach with that player material , and they are instantly at the playoffs.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Why not putting the money on the table ans signing:

Mike Babcock, Gerard Gallant & Bruce Bourdreau as a combo?

Those guys know something how to build a hockey team. And not this f***ing misery.

I don't think the Pegula's are cheap. I think Bylsma was making $4-$5 million a year with the Sabres and Ralph Krueger is apparently signed for 3 years, $12 million, so $4 million average per year.

I'm guessing you're joking about signing all three of Babcock, Gallant and Boudreau since each and every one of them are people who want to be in charge, but I'd take Boudreau or Gallant immediately, I'd hesitate on Babcock because of the toxic environment he apparently created in Toronto

Who was the coach when Skinner did score 40 freaking goals with Eichel? Somebody has had some idea for them to gel together? Where did that go?

When secondary scoring is a problem, it's almost always coaching. Especially when you have talent like Eric Staal, Cozens, Hall, Skinner etc there.

You put Jeff Blashill to coach with that player material , and they are instantly at the playoffs.

Phil Housely was coach when Skinner scored 40 goals, and he was on a line with Eichel. First thing Krueger did after he became coach was send Skinner off to the bottom-six

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Literally, blow up the team by buying out Okposo and Skinner, and get a large haul for Staal, Hall and Eichel.

That'd be a good start on putting the Sabres on the right track. Build around Cozens and Dahlin as I believe Cozens will be an excellent captain for the Sabres one day, yes better than Dahlin. But if they go with both Cozens and Dahlin in the future they're headed on the right track.

I imagine that they trade Eichel to the Rangers, Lightning (but make room for cap space) or Golden Knights.

But what I can see happening is the Panthers being interested considering they're at contender stats right about now. They have enough to land Eichel and getting him would make them instant contenders, might even send Hall and Staal with him too which would build a foundation for contention.

Reactions: awegrzyn

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Taylor Hall needs to wind up in Boston. He should have the day he was drafted. Seguin should have went to Edmonton....Hall should have been a Bruin. That said.....I would offer Grz, Bjork and a number 1 for Hall. They get a young 3-4-5 Dman and the Bruins number 1.
Seguin should've been a Leaf... yes I'm still mad.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They’ve played two games in half a month and have only played 12 in total while the canucks have played what like 18-19?

And those two were to the defensive minded islanders.

They play the caps next game. They literally for a tough night every time out there, but beat a dead horse.

Eichel hasn’t been that good this year so far but is still point per game, (edit-11 in 12) what’s with the goals argument? Should we start judging Matthews on assists? And he’s barely broken thirty (ONCE) same with laine, on high on high scoring teams each year?

Such a stupid thread, it’s kind of hard to score goals when you’re not playing games, after the COVID situation and then 300 days off, in arenas with no crowds (sabres didn’t get used to that) with no Preseason then another half month off.

and even still despite playing the toughest division every game have yet to be blown out this year and have literally looked good in 8 of their first ten games. The last few games have been rough and that’s what’s caused reactions to blow up....talking bad about eichels contract has done nothing but make people look foolish the past three years, hall has been fine, it’s a one year deal.
What on earth is the point of this other then my personal feelings you’re team probably has had people make fun of them
For paying money to a select group. Nothing at all wrong with two of three guys contracts

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Their players just aren't as good as they think. The team is also just constructed terribly. Everyone knows the Skinner contract sucks. Eichel/Dahlin are not really the players some fans think they are. Eichel has all the talent in the world, but you can just see how frustrated and fed up he is with losing. Dahlin isn't really the generational D-Man they thought they were drafting. He can still be a very good player but the thinking that he was generational can be put to bed. It's a tough situation, do you keep your franchise guy who doesn't look like he wants to play there and build around him. Or sell and rebuild. IMO if they can move Eichel for another franchise player they should. I think he needs a change of scenery, and bringing in an elite/franchise talent with a fresh start with this team/city can be a good thing. I don't know if anyone is available for a deal like that but from what I've seen, Eichel looks like he's just given up on this team.

The only beef with keeping Eichel is, how do you make this team a contender and fix the surrounding cast with the assets you have available ? I don't think it can be done until he's maybe 27-28. He's on a fair contract, elite talent and young, he'll bring a massive haul. The skinner contract really screwed them, no one is taking that, even with retention it'll be hard to move. I feel like more than anything the Skinner contract crippled this teams chances and is preventing them from making any real moves. That may be one of the worst contracts I have ever seen. They need to figure out a way to get rid of that contract if they want to be competitive with Eichel as a Sabre. Only way I see that happening is if they package him with multiple futures, not sure if they are willing to do that. If they are not, trade Eichel for a younger franchise player, or elite player + picks.

Just a badly constructed team that is absolutely crippled by Skinner. Who was the GM that signed that deal, Botteril ? Should never be allowed near a hockey rink again.

Lol, ‘Eichel has all the talent in the world according to you but isn’t the player some think he is?’ Nice logic. That makes sense. Yeah, he’s frustrated. Whats your point? How does that make him not the player some think he is? He had 300 days off and the had to take another half month off cause of Covid. Then he’s played two
Games since that last half month off against the defensive islanders and next game Tomorrow against the caps. While the situation isn’t ideal and he needs to Elevate his play despite being point per game. (Or 11 in 12 is it?), judging him based on this alone under the current climate is pretty ridiculous and shows an agenda.

I’ll assume you know a great deal about his play, yet you don’t even know the name or who signed the skinner deal. Same with your take on dahlin. You really sound like you watch these guys a lot. Tell us more..

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They’ve played two games in half a month and have only played 12 in total while the canucks have played what like 18-19?

And those two were to the defensive minded islanders.

They play the caps next game. They literally for a tough night every time out there, but beat a dead horse.

Eichel hasn’t been that good this year so far but is still point per game, (edit-11 in 12) what’s with the goals argument? Should we start judging Matthews on assists? And he’s barely broken thirty (ONCE) same with laine, on high on high scoring teams each year?

Such a stupid thread, it’s kind of hard t score goals when you’re not playing games, after the COVID situation and then 300 days off, in arenas with no crowds (sabres didn’t get used to that) with no Preseason then another half month off.

and even still despite playing the toughest division every game have yet to be blown out this year and have literally looked good in 8 of their first ten games. The last few games have been rough and that’s what’s caused reactions to blow up....talking bad about eichels contract has done nothing but make people look foolish the past three years, hall has been fine, it’s a one year deal.
What on earth is the point of this other then my personal feelings you’re team probably has had people make fun of them
For paying money to a select group. Nothing at all wrong with two of three guys contracts
Dude, David Pastrnak scored the same number of goals as your top three highest paid players in ONE game while making $6.

You actually think there's any kind of excuse for this type of performance?

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
1 point ahead of the team deadlast in the league... unreal

Unreal? How about the fact those California teams are .500 mainly
Because they’re playing each other ten times a year. And how about the fact they have so few points because it’s kind of
Hard to collect them when they’ve played two games against the best defensive team in the league in the last 3 weeks.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Dude, David Pastrnak scored the same number of goals as your top three highest paid players in ONE game while making $6.

You actually think there's any kind of excuse for this type of performance?

They’ve played 12 games.

Eichel 11 points, hall had 9 or ten?

I’m not justifying the teams recent performance but what you’re doing is ridiculous, taking a team that hadn’t played in 300 days, then had to shut their season off over half a month then had played two games since against great defensive team.

you’re not at all looking at it rationally?

mans pastrnak? You mean one of the greatest goal scorers in the world? Your sounding like your either really young or your just bad at considering the circumstances.

the sabres literally played great hockey In 8 of there first ten games and 2 of the 3 players in this title are played absolutely fine.

the team hadn’t even lost by more then a goal (excluding empty netters) until YESTERDAY.

taking a dozen games against nothing but the toughest division and looking at near point per game players in that stretch for a team that’s 4-6-2 is laughable.

these kinds of threads should wait a little longer for teams who haven’t played very much at all.

I’ll come back with a couple weeks with more when they’ve actually played ya know, somewhere close to as many as everyone else, because just like I told everyone a few years ago how good eichel was but had sprained his ankle in two of his first three years, people thought nah , his point totals of 57 and 64 was their argument I continually said yeah that’s 57 in 61 and 64 in 67 games played. Then followed it up with 82 and 77 in 77 and 68 games played respectively And has 11 in 12 and we’re supposed to do what exactly? Ridiculous.

it’s like some of you look just at records or total points and not games played. I’m not saying the sabres have looked good the last few games but 8 of their first ten, they could of won any of
Them. And we’re the better team more then not.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
9 mill per goal.. seems reasonable

Because seasons are 12 games long. And it’s skinner. Who started on the fourth line since opening night, Everyone knows it’s a horrid contract, the guy that signed it for axed. The other two players are payed because one has put up nothing but points on a bottom feeder and the other one a hart trophy. And both guys whole not great this year have been producing fine. At least not to the point you question the money.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hall is a good player but seriously what is going on with whatever team he goes to, they nosedive hard.

It is un-friggin-believable to see every time.

I get it that it is most likely a very bizzare coincidence but it is actually getting quite weird to continually see

He just goes to shitty teams.

Oilers sucked.
Devils sucked, but they had 1 good season.
Arizona kinda sucked, but I think they had injuries coincide with the arrival of Hall.
Buffalo sucks and as someone said, they haven't really played games.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Hall is nice to have if you need offense, but what they've really needed is a goalie the last 6-7 years.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They have very obvious holes in their roster, as well as some dead cap in the form of the Skinner and Okposo contract. They also don’t have any reliable goaltending, and all the offense ultimately goes through Eichel only.

It’s not hard to see why they will not make the playoffs as long as they have this team structure.

To be fair to the Sabres, their division is way too strong for them. The top 5 teams in the division (everyone minus Rangers and Devils) are significantly stronger than the Sabres on all fronts.

Add to that the fact that these teams have a lot of playoff experience and some championships under their belts, and everything adds up correctly.

They were always going to get slaughtered by the Bruins/Flyers/Islanders/Capitals/Penguins.

I think they need to keep their young central pieces (Eichel/Dahlin/Cozens/Olofsson) and literally get rid of everyone else.

Buyout the Skinner and Okposo contracts, move on from Hall, Ristolainen and Staal, acquire new depth players, revamp the blue line and get a proven goaltender.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Jeff Skinner makes 9m a year. for 6 MORE years

thats all i got, truly amazing

not a single ounce of hindsight needed either, the entire planet called this one

If they buy him out after the season, the bright side is they only have to pay him for 12 years (2.5m a year) not to play hockey for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad