Eichel/Hall/Skinner =$27M For Combined 3 Goals

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Jeff Skinner is making 9M..... like wtf it blows my mind everytime i read it

Even moreso when you consider David Pastrnak makes $6.6M and Marchand $6.1M.

Yep Skinner and Okposo make more than Pastrnak and Marchand.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Halls agent must be sweating. One year cash in deal was pretty risky because it will seriously limit his chances of getting a long term monster deal in future if he has marginal impact (as seems to be the case). He would have been much better off signing with a decent team for less money. I suspect he may not be all that bright.

Hall's deal made no sense. He didn't take a short term deal to sign with a legitimate contender, but he also didn't sign for job security on a long term deal if that's how he wanted to go.

He basically did the worst possible thing. Sign with a bad team, and with no job security.

Reactions: TB12 and Dicky113

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Problem number one was giving a 60 point player $9 million/year for 7 years. Number two was completely ignoring the goaltending position.

Hall probably feels like a doofus right now.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Halls agent must be sweating. One year cash in deal was pretty risky because it will seriously limit his chances of getting a long term monster deal in future if he has marginal impact (as seems to be the case). He would have been much better off signing with a decent team for less money. I suspect he may not be all that bright.

Major lack of big picture thinking and planning.

The strategy was "take the best money offer now" instead of "put yourself in the best position to make more money long term".

If they were really looking for a situation that offered BOTH and came to the conclusion Buffalo was the answer... yikes.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Problem number one was giving a 60 point player $9 million/year for 7 years. Number two was completely ignoring the goaltending position.

Hall probably feels like a doofus right now.

Ullmark is quite good and they have a top prospect in Luukonen.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Hall's deal made no sense. He didn't take a short term deal to sign with a legitimate contender, but he also didn't sign for job security on a long term deal if that's how he wanted to go.

He basically did the worst possible thing. Sign with a bad team, and with no job security.
Or maybe it was the only (or best) actual offer he received.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Or maybe it was the only (or best) actual offer he received.

At $8 million per year, maybe. But I'm sure a lot of teams would have given him a 1-year deal to load up, if Hall was willing to take a short term deal to "win now" and then cash in next off-season.

Instead, Hall went for a decent pay check with a bad team, but without a long term attached to it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
At $8 million per year, maybe. But I'm sure a lot of teams would have given him a 1-year deal to load up, if Hall was willing to take a short term deal to "win now" and then cash in next off-season.

Instead, Hall went for a decent pay check with a bad team, but without a long term attached to it.
The reported win-now offers were half of what Buffalo signed him for. He might have had the plan to sign a sweet heart deal with a contender but theres a limit to how much he should have to leave on the table. Even the deal Buffalo signed with him is a bargain

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Major lack of big picture thinking and planning.

The strategy was "take the best money offer now" instead of "put yourself in the best position to make more money long term".

If they were really looking for a situation that offered BOTH and came to the conclusion Buffalo was the answer... yikes.

We don't know what his options were, I think Nashville and Boston were rumored to be interested. I thought going to Colorado on a one year deal made the most sense but it seems like they had zero interest in him. Buffalo offered a spot next to Eichel with a coach he says he likes, and it sounds like much more money than most everyone else for a year. Seemed like a great fit to me really once the knee jerk "Buffalo???" reaction subsided.

He'll finish the year with a better than 3% shooting percentage and he's been better than a 1 goal in 12 games player. He'll likely get a solid contract if he's cool with a 5 year term, but whatever dreams Hall / Ferris had re: a Panarinesque contract have evaporated after the stints in ARZ/BUF in a COVID flat cap world.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Sounds weird, but I wonder if he wanted to give Buffalo a test drive? Spittin Chiclets has mentioned how players around the league feel bad, they want Buffalo to do well, and meanwhile Hall has mentioned he wanted a place that really values him, really seems to care. I think there’s an element of wanting to be “the man” as well, he doesn’t just wanna piggyback on Colorado or something. So he gives Buffalo a shot and if it works, awesome, he’s a hero and can re-sign if he likes, otherwise he can move on. That’d be my understanding at least- not saying I agree with the logic or anything, but it makes enough sense to me.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
That Jeff Skinner contract sinks the entire team and will for a long time.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Ok, you can't fire a coach every 1-2 years for a decade and claim the coach is the issue. It's not.

Sabres coaches going back to 2013:

Ron Rolston: no NHL coaching jobs since
Ted Nolan: no NHL coaching jobs since
Dan Bylsma: no NHL coaching jobs since assistant with Detroit
Phil Housely: back to being an assistant NHL coach
Ralph Krueger: doubt he'll get another NHL head coaching gig after he's fired/not re-signed

It's almost like the Pegula's have done a terrible job hiring NHL head coaches since they've owned the team.

The Sabres desperately need a quality NHL coach like Bourdeau or Gallant, but the Pegula's will never hire coaches like that because they'd rightfully balk at the "running the team by committee" approach the Pegula's demand

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Sounds weird, but I wonder if he wanted to give Buffalo a test drive? Spittin Chiclets has mentioned how players around the league feel bad, they want Buffalo to do well, and meanwhile Hall has mentioned he wanted a place that really values him, really seems to care. I think there’s an element of wanting to be “the man” as well, he doesn’t just wanna piggyback on Colorado or something. So he gives Buffalo a shot and if it works, awesome, he’s a hero and can re-sign if he likes, otherwise he can move on. That’d be my understanding at least- not saying I agree with the logic or anything, but it makes enough sense to me.
If you're really "the man", you'll be "the man" even if there's other men there. If you're worried about that, then you're not really "the man".

Reactions: Deplorable Lenny

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

He wanted Jack to help him pump his numbers so he could keep up the money demands. Then Seattle would pay him 7xhuge to be the star

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
If you're really "the man", you'll be "the man" even if there's other men there. If you're worried about that, then you're not really "the man".

That’s a huge oversimplification though. If he goes to Colorado- clearly they have a core. Clearly Mac and Makar are focal points. Colorado is also a really good team with or without him. So even if we ignore the reality that Hall is unlikely to ever play MVP-level hockey again, his role on Buffalo has the potential to be larger than it’d be for a team already contending. I don’t think anyone in Boston/Colorado/TB would say “we needed Hall to turn this team around, he is an integral part of our franchise.” That potential is a bit more present in Buffalo.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I think thats it. Buffalo also has some damn good pieces on paper and obviously Hall knows the coach. 8 mill is probably also at least 3 mill more than the Avs would have offered (5 mill to Saad was the max we could have given).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
At what point does Buffalo decide there's an overall problem with their culture and blow everything up and start over?

How else do they fix these never ending issues? Nothing seems to work for them no matter who they sign...

Removing Skinner from the post is the first thing--he has been a problem for awhile

Hall and Eichel? Eich has 11 pts in 12 games and Hall has 9 pts in 12 games,

Secondary scoring is the problem and that is where SKinner is supposed to jump in

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sabres cant score at ES because they play a dogsh*t system. PP is good but my god

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This Skinner situation is truly becoming unfathomable. It’s not Krueger, it’s not linemates, it’s not play with Eichel. <br><br>Over last season &amp; 12 games this season he’s 10th in the league in individual shot quality per 60 min. It’s not like he’s not generating offense. <br><br>It’s wild. <a href="https://t.co/rJH1xQo2nu">https://t.co/rJH1xQo2nu</a></p>&mdash; Chad DeDominicis (@CMDeDominicis) <a href="">February 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad