Player Discussion: Ehlers

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he's our best Fwd, hands down. that play on marner last night, when's the last time we seen Wheeler, KC, PLD, Scheif or any other of our top 6-ers do that? (ok i am being a bit hyperbolic perhaps). But man, the guy is just soooooo productive out there. also glad pp2 started to be the first one's out too.

20 goals
45 points
PLUS 18!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
IMO Ehlers understands his role better than 99% of his biggest fans. Again IMO he knows teams needs offense to come from more than 1 line. Scheifele drives the 1st line and 1st PP. Ehlers realizes his best value to the team is to drive the 2nd line and 2nd PP. Yes together they are the 2 best forwards and they can dominate when played together. But apart they help make up the 2 best lines and 2 best PP units.

I'd like to see Ehlers and Connor on separate lines, as they are both snipers and this gives us, 2 deadly scoring lines. Also I've been advocating on here, the Jets use Ehlers on the point on the power play at the point, because of his shot, and ability to charge the net very quickly. I see their doing that, and I'd still like to see him on Power Play #1.

In my mind, Ehlers is definitely one of the "best" wingers in the NHL, as he can do it all. That play he made on Marner was magic.

To think Marner makes around $ 12 mil , and Ehlers around $ 6.5 mil, and I'd likely take Ehlers over Marner - straight up.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the idea is not always putting ehlers on pp1 , or with scheifele. it's putting his line or his unit out for more TOI which can be independent of playing on the "top line" or "pp1"

wouldn't you rather play the players who out-shoot, out-chance, and out-score the opposition a bit more? wouldn't you rather play the player who has proven they can score at higher efficiency given their TOI more? or draw penalties at higher rates?

FINALLY maurice started using pp2 as the first unit out. the production difference between the first two units is stark

PP1: 20 GF/142 mins (using Scheifele's on-ice GF)
PP2: 15 GF/66 mins (using Ehlers' on-ice GF)

the jets rank 4th in the league in PP goals/60 at 9.31. this efficiency is basically being drive by PP2.

IMO Ehlers understands his role better than 99% of his biggest fans. Again IMO he knows teams needs offense to come from more than 1 line. Scheifele drives the 1st line and 1st PP. Ehlers realizes his best value to the team is to drive the 2nd line and 2nd PP. Yes together they are the 2 best forwards and they can dominate when played together. But apart they help make up the 2 best lines and 2 best PP units.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I get what you're saying, but the idea that there is 1% of his fan base who understand his role better than he does (which is what your statement implies) is ridiculous.

The number of people in Ehler's (or any other player's) fanbase who understand the player's role better than the player does is exactly zero. In all cases.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

I'd like to see Ehlers and Connor on separate lines, as they are both snipers and this gives us, 2 deadly scoring lines. Also I've been advocating on here, the Jets use Ehlers on the point on the power play at the point, because of his shot, and ability to charge the net very quickly. I see their doing that, and I'd still like to see him on Power Play #1.

In my mind, Ehlers is definitely one of the "best" wingers in the NHL, as he can do it all. That play he made on Marner was magic.

To think Marner makes around $ 12 mil , and Ehlers around $ 6.5 mil, and I'd likely take Ehlers over Marner - straight up.
Ehlers 6,00000000 mil:) and Marner makes 10,9

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers 6,00000000 mil:) and Marner makes 10,9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for the correction, but that's damn near double what Ehlers makes, and Ehlers is pretty much par with Marner in the talent department.

If Ehlers was an unrestricted free agent, I think he's command around $ 9.5 mil per year in my opinion. That's how good he is.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for the correction, but that's damn near double what Ehlers makes, and Ehlers is pretty much par with Marner in the talent department.

If Ehlers was an unrestricted free agent, I think he's command around $ 9.5 mil per year in my opinion. That's how good he is.

I doubt many teams would give him 9.5M but if Buffalo can give 9M to Skinner...

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yes and no. What you say is all true enough, but he needs to get more TOI. Maybe PP2 is actually PP1? At least use them more nearly equally. Not sure about the split of 5v5 time. I think it is already fairly close.

But he is our 1RW, even if he is playing on the 2nd line.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Connor just played 17 minutes had 2G and 3 points and you want to give his ice time to Perrault who has been dog crap for 3 years. Sure Perrault has been decent in his role this year but he’s not he deserves nothing Vs Connor’s contributions to the team.

The Kyle Connor hate on this board is one of the strangest things on HF.

I don't see any hate. Where is it?

Reactions: QuietContrarian

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Ehlers > Laine
Ehlers.....>......Marner?
Well, at this point I'd say it's a no-brainer that Ehlers is better (or at least far more valuable than Laine).

But c'mon, Marner is an absolutley amazingly skilled player. I'd put Ehlers below him. In fact, I'd even say that Scheifele is still Winnipeg's best player (goalies not included). But hey, Ehlers is a close number two on this team (and would be number one on most teams in the NHL) and he is getting better and better.

Reactions: jetsforever

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
he's our best Fwd, hands down. that play on marner last night, when's the last time we seen Wheeler, KC, PLD, Scheif or any other of our top 6-ers do that? (ok i am being a bit hyperbolic perhaps). But man, the guy is just soooooo productive out there. also glad pp2 started to be the first one's out too.

Not sure but I think PP2 coming out first was because Scheifele had just finished a shift. Lets see if it happens more often before we call it a thing.

Speaking of that goal by Ehlers, Connor made 2-3 beautiful moves to get a great scoring chance (no goal) off the opening face-off for the 3rd period. Or was it the 2nd? Memory fail. :laugh: Whatever, it was beautiful hockey.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That people want to give kc’s minutes to Perrault is not exactly love for Kc.

It certainly wasn't hate either. It was just a suggestion for trying to get the most out of some other players as well. There was no criticism of Connor there.

Reactions: Hulide

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well, at this point I'd say it's a no-brainer that Ehlers is better (or at least far more valuable than Laine).

But c'mon, Marner is an absolutley amazingly skilled player. I'd put Ehlers below him. In fact, I'd even say that Scheifele is still Winnipeg's best player (goalies not included). But hey, Ehlers is a close number two on this team (and would be number one on most teams in the NHL) and he is getting better and better.
Wondering the case for Schief over Ehlers as Ehlers has made everyone significantly better. Is better defensively. Drives the play better.
Could be recency bias as TO’s goal came off schief’s turnover and weak back checking.
Ehlers drives pp2 and the second line to a larger percentage than Schief does as Kc has to do most of zone entries on top unit does most of the shooting and sets Schief up a lot. Ehlers does everything on unit 2 with Copp and Perrault fighting for rebounds.

Reactions: LowLefty and hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Have always loved the Eel and love him even more that he's grown his game even more and has some space to show it off.

Not only is he productive and useful (and hardworking) in all three zones, he hardly ever backs down or runs flybys, and he's about as pesty as a skill player can be, a great competitor who can turn a game and is always dangerous, and no one -- and I mean no one -- is more pumped to score or for a teammate to score as Ehlers is. He must be an absolute blast to play alongside, even if he occasionally leaves you in the dust or goes off-piste.

And he does plenty in the community (they almost all do) -- have watched him signing autos and gear more than once in my line of work, and he gives a lot back. Great player and citizen.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not sure, but I think he has passed Scheifele.

Its hard to make a direct comparison to Marner. Marner has fewer goals but quite a few more assists. Of course Marner plays with Matthews and we don't have a goal scorer like him. Or is Marner making him look better? Probably they each make the other look better. I don't think Marner does as many things well as Ehlers does. I don't think he backchecks as well and I've never seen Marner fight. :laugh: I think it is fair to say that they are on the same tier. More than that would be tough without having them swap teams for 20-30 games.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Have always loved the Eel and love him even more that he's grown his game even more and has some space to show it off.

Not only is he productive and useful (and hardworking) in all three zones, he hardly ever backs down or runs flybys, and he's about as pesty as a skill player can be, a great competitor who can turn a game and is always dangerous, and no one -- and I mean no one -- is more pumped to score or for a teammate to score as Ehlers is. He must be an absolute blast to play alongside, even if he occasionally leaves you in the dust or goes off-piste.

And he does plenty in the community (they almost all do) -- have watched him signing autos and gear more than once in my line of work, and he gives a lot back. Great player and citizen.
You don’t like in the uk?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: I nominate you to lead the statue building committee.

Reactions: DashingDane

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not sure, but I think he has passed Scheifele.

Its hard to make a direct comparison to Marner. Marner has fewer goals but quite a few more assists. Of course Marner plays with Matthews and we don't have a goal scorer like him. Or is Marner making him look better? Probably they each make the other look better. I don't think Marner does as many things well as Ehlers does. I don't think he backchecks as well and I've never seen Marner fight. :laugh: I think it is fair to say that they are on the same tier. More than that would be tough without having them swap teams for 20-30 games.
One thing for sure Ehlers is better value for salary than marner. As difference on ice is negligible difference in pay huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad