Player Discussion: Ehlers

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've certainly had my share of head shaking over Ehlers' TOI, but it's usually more come about from seeing Schiefele/Wheeler gassed during the final minutes of a game after playing 20+ minutes while Ehlers is at 15. The load management might be resolved by increased 3rd and 4th line playing rather than Ehlers, specifically.

That said, he's so fun to watch I wish he never left the ice.
I love watching Ehlers, but not when he's gassed. Wheeler is more inclined to look gassed than Scheifele, who really does seem to have a lot of reserve.

Wheeler and Connor still get too much ice time and Ehlers too little.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I love watching Ehlers, but not when he's gassed. Wheeler is more inclined to look gassed than Scheifele, who really does seem to have a lot of reserve.

I don’t know if Ehlers can handle the big minutes he looked a lot more gassed two games ago. Need to keep Ehlers at his peak. Also I’d rather Kc see the ice than stastny.

Reactions: TS Quint

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

How does Connor get too much ice time? He's playing top 6 (not sure what we call a 1st line anymore) and he's on PP #1.

What would you suggest we do to lower his minutes? Does his production not warrant his minutes and who takes them if we reduce?

I'm only asking because I see a more balanced top 6 going forward - it's not like it was when he was playing with Scheif / Wheeler for what I would agree, was too many minutes (for the line in general).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How does Connor get too much ice time? He's playing top 6 (not sure what we call a 1st line anymore) and he's on PP #1.

What would you suggest we do to lower his minutes? Does his production not warrant his minutes and who takes them if we reduce?

I'm only asking because I see a more balanced top 6 going forward - it's not like it was when he was playing with Scheif / Wheeler for what I would agree, was too many minutes (for the line in general).
I'd give some of Connor's time to Perreault (especially when the Jets are in the lead), and a bit of Wheeler's ice time to Ehlers. I think that PLD could also take the occasional shift instead of Scheifele. Basically, I think the Jets can even out ice-time a bit during this season, which has such a compressed schedule. It would also be rational based on performance (Perreault and Ehlers have been very effective).

Reactions: hn777 and Jack7222

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014

Amen.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'd give some of Connor's time to Perreault (especially when the Jets are in the lead), and a bit of Wheeler's ice time to Ehlers. I think that PLD could also take the occasional shift instead of Scheifele. Basically, I think the Jets can even out ice-time a bit during this season, which has such a compressed schedule. It would also be rational based on performance (Perreault and Ehlers have been very effective).

I like the idea of adjusting minutes - but I don't know how easy it would be to do based on what you are suggesting.
With Scheif, I get it - he tends to take / get extra shifts and it would make sense to give some of that to PLD - especially when we have a lead (as you noted).
I don't know what you have in mind with Matty - are you suggesting he double shift and KC sits under some circumstances?
Or does KC move to the 4th line (simply switching the 2). If so, wouldn't be easier to give the 3/4th lines more ice time (as complete) lines, as apposed to pulling playing out of the top 6 and filling there spot with 4th line players.

Matty been great this year - I'd like to see him get more minutes - but I'm not sure why KC is the guy he subs in for. That line is playing well.
Matty is playing against 4th line matchups - that might have something to do with his good play.

There might be other top six players that would move down before KC - I also understand opinions will differ on that point.
Personally, I can't see it ever happening.

Reactions: TS Quint

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

I suspect you already have noticed this but Maurice is not inclined to manage his bench in this fashion. The lines are pretty well fixed pre-game and then simply rolled out given coachs assessment of the game situation. For example, he has shown little tendency to try alternating C`s, or possibly double shifting C`s. or things of that nature.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Remember when Leaf fans claimed Nylander was better then Ehlers? Haha

Those comments haven’t aged well.

upload_2021-4-2_2-45-24.gif

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Perreault takes way to many stick infractions for my liking. Especially if he were to be playing when we have the lead.

Reactions: TS Quint and hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Paul Maurice prob.
But pomo doesn’t read these fan forums and I imagine everyone on here is in agreement that Ehlers is our best winger. Might be some who debate Ehlers vs Schief.
There is debate in usage as he is on pp 2 because he gives us 2 effective units and makes the pld line tick but that’s about all the debate I know of.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO Ehlers understands his role better than 99% of his biggest fans. Again IMO he knows teams needs offense to come from more than 1 line. Scheifele drives the 1st line and 1st PP. Ehlers realizes his best value to the team is to drive the 2nd line and 2nd PP. Yes together they are the 2 best forwards and they can dominate when played together. But apart they help make up the 2 best lines and 2 best PP units.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Connor just played 17 minutes had 2G and 3 points and you want to give his ice time to Perrault who has been dog crap for 3 years. Sure Perrault has been decent in his role this year but he’s not he deserves nothing Vs Connor’s contributions to the team.

The Kyle Connor hate on this board is one of the strangest things on HF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad