Player Discussion: Ehlers

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not sure, but I think he has passed Scheifele.

Its hard to make a direct comparison to Marner. Marner has fewer goals but quite a few more assists. Of course Marner plays with Matthews and we don't have a goal scorer like him. Or is Marner making him look better? Probably they each make the other look better. I don't think Marner does as many things well as Ehlers does. I don't think he backchecks as well and I've never seen Marner fight. :laugh: I think it is fair to say that they are on the same tier. More than that would be tough without having them swap teams for 20-30 games.

Yeah Ehlers is my favourite player in the league but he hasn't shown the results that Marner has yet (e.g. 94-point season)
Ehlers at least seems to be taking a lead over Nylander finally, and he certainly has the potential to keep rocketing upwards.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah Ehlers is my favourite player in the league but he hasn't shown the results that Marner has yet (e.g. 94-point season)
Ehlers at least seems to be taking a lead over Nylander finally, and he certainly has the potential to keep rocketing upwards.

Potential maybe but I think this is probably about his peak, or very close to it. He may never match Marner's peak scoring numbers but that doesn't tell the whole story.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
... I would gladly accept that nomination, but in the interests of seniority and harmony between nations would defer to @DashingDane and @AstrophysicalJet.

They can fight it out -- frikadeller at ten paces...
Depends if they serve the frikadeller with brown sauce or stewed spinach:popcorn:

Me and @DashingDane have full faith in the outsourcing to Brit contractors:thumbu:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just noticed Ehlers is tied for 13th in the NHL in points, yet has the lowest ice time in the top-50 (JVR lower at #51).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great post, and Chevy should tape it in Maurice's office. Ehlers should get maximum ice time on the Jets, equal to Scheifele, and more than Wheeler. Ehlers is starting to become recognized around the NHL for the great talent he is.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Good post, but you have to factor in the facts here that Marner gets way more ice time, most of his points are assists ( like Wheeler) and he's feeding Mathews, who is a goal scoring machine.

Give Ehlers the same ice time, and we'll take a look. You also have to recognize Ehlers has the better shot, and Marner is more of a playmaker, so their different types of players. Goal scorers are coveted in the NHL tho. I think I'd rather have Ehlers straight up.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yep.

And he may also be the best point man on the team at the mo. From either side.

I agree with Ehlers on the point. With a very hard accurate shot, and his ability to rush the net, if a lane becomes open, he's a nightmare to defend against. I'm very happy to see Ehlers being used on the point. The other thing is that, if a guy breaks out, on an odd man rush, Ehlers has the speed to catch him, like he did with Marner last night.

I think Ehlers and Pionk would be a great pairing on the point on the power play.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Marner benefits tremendously from playing with Matthews, in the same way that Jari Kurri benefitted tremendously from playing with Gretzky. They're tremendous players, but being paired with a superstar scoring machine increases their point totals to a level that makes them look considerably better than they actually are.

So yeah, Marner will probably consistently outscore Ehlers, but no, Ehlers is a better player. This is not a slur against Marner.

Reactions: hn777 and GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone know what to make of this bizarre tweet?:

I'm not 100% sure, because I don't recall if Billeck said anything about it at the time, but a couple of weeks ago with the deadline looming this was revealed:

I think that's from the Athletic. Sarah Civian, an anonymous NHL exec and a scout all say "Dallas says no" to Ehlers for Lindell.

Now I haven't watched Dallas in a long time and Lindell would probably be a good player to add to the Jets D, but what in the living f***?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers is still under appreciated around the league.

Ehlers won't be underappreciated for to long, as soon as that hi -lite reel of him stealing the puck from Marner, and scoring a "one handed" goal circulates around the league, and it will. Ehlers is also tied for 13 th place for points in the entire NHL. I believe he and Connor are also in the top 10 in the NHL for goals scored. That's pretty hard to go unnoticed. Ehlers is also about 2 years away from his prime yet at 27 years old.

He's making his presence felt around the league "right now."

Reactions: FonRiesen and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad