WJC: "Eh oh Canada go"?

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Is anyone else insulted that the cheer is based on an American stereotype? I mean, I've never heard a Canadian say "eh" in a serious fashion, and especially not as often as the hosers depicted in American media.
(raises hand)

When I travelled in the UK several years ago, I found myself saying "eh" a ridiculous number of times, as though my "Canadianness" was reasserting itself amongst all the accented english I was exposed to. I've never done it before or since to that extent, and I'm sure I reinforced the stereotype amongst the Brits I was working with :laugh:

Derick*

Also, it's not as though Americans take Canadian stereotypes in the media literally. They're not as Pejorative Slured as that terribly prejudiced (oh, wait, they're American. I mean hilariously provoking) segment on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" made them out to be.

It's okay when we portray them as arrogant rednecks who think we don't have electricity though.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
This ad pitch must have come from the US. I cant see it catching on. What are we? dogs?

NewNameWhosThis

i'm not even mad
May 24, 2008
Doesn't matter to me what they chant during the games. All I know is what they'll be singing at the end of the gold medal game.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

But that's not the Star Spangled Banner...:huh:

tdoteli

Dec 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com
I posted this in the FB group, figured I'd contribute here too.
I love how Pepsi realizes the counter-campaign is working, and are now trying (desperately) to convince us to switch over in their new ad. "Written by a Canadian, and voted on by you." Not by me, friend.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I have a feeling a few heads will roll at the Pepsi marketing offices by the end of this fiasco. I personally love how half-assed and unenthusiastic it sounds when the crowd is clearly being prompted to chant this cheer of sadness.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-3.jpg

Eh! Oh! It's off to work we go.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Canadians most definately do say eh....a lot. We use it when it makes sense though.

Anyway, I wish the fans would chant it. At least they would make SOME noise then.

chester_z

Jan 19, 2007
Some public transit buses here in Saskatoon have been alternating their displays between route names and numbers and this contrived chant. Even if Saskatoon Transit is getting serious coin from Pepsi I'm still not pleased about it.

The chant itself is terrible and beyond that it is pushing where advertising happens. It's showing just how pervasive advertising really is.

Smokies430

Nov 21, 2009
I say no to the Pepsi chant in the best way I know....with my wallet. I'll buy nothing but Coke products until Pepsi apologizes for this crap chant.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Some public transit buses here in Saskatoon have been alternating their displays between route names and numbers and this contrived chant. Even if Saskatoon Transit is getting serious coin from Pepsi I'm still not pleased about it.

The chant itself is terrible and beyond that it is pushing where advertising happens. It's showing just how pervasive advertising really is.

:laugh::laugh:

This advertising campaign is nothing. Pizza companies pay people to put their boxes in their garbage. People get free cars with ads on them. Bartenders in Ireland wore Guinness contact lenses for a while. A kid sold his forehead for advertising (tatoo).

tdoteli

Dec 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com
Write letters to your local newspapers. Especially the Star-Phoenix and the Vancouver Sun. We have to move this counter-campaign from the internet to print (maybe even a community paid newspaper ad is in order?) if we want Vancouver to be Pepsi-free.
We all know that this isn't just "my cheer is better than your cheer." The devaluing of the HHOF is on the line here.

And to tell you the truth, their entire campaign hinges on whether or not fans will carry the torch, so to speak, so the risk level is very high on their end.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
It feels like a chant a middle aged lady in some small town in Northern Ontario came up with.

Eh! Oh! Kick their arse!

It's not so much that it's "corporate" that pisses me off, it's just that somebody is trying to jump start a tradition. Traditions begin naturally and are maintained over time. Also, If it was a halfway decent cheer maybe I wouldn't hate the whole thing as much as I do.

What's wrong with "Let's go Canada! *clapclapclapclapclap*" or "Go Canada Go" why does it have to have "Eh!" in it or "Oh!".

I mean the Americans chant U-S-A for crying out loud. They don't say "Huh? Oh America Go!".

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
I cant believe people are stupid enough to adopt a chant that is mass-marketed to them. Embarassing.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I cant believe people are stupid enough to adopt a chant that is mass-marketed to them. Embarassing.
People will cheer whatever is displayed to them on the jumbotron. Everything else is paid for by Pepsi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad