WJC: "Eh oh Canada go"?

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I was reading the Americans GDT for one of the games and some guy wrote " Dude Bro America GO." I couldn't stop laughing. :laugh:

Seguins Dragon*

I can't figure out what's funnier, the chant, or how angry it's making all of you.

well.... rightfully so...

What if Walmart... wait, Walmart is an American company... okay... what if Nissan started the same thing in the USA with Olympics... and the chant was something like "Y'all Get'R Done"...

I mean.... come on!!!

Its total BS and if I was there, and heard people doing it.. i would boo them... i dont care if they are 4 years old or some 65 year old grandma...lol

I would boo them for being corporate sell out whores.... An American company making a chant for Canadians using Canadian stereotypes?,... its just insuting, stupid and just plain wrong

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
well.... rightfully so...

What if Walmart... wait, Walmart is an American company... okay... what if Nissan started the same thing in the USA with Olympics... and the chant was something like "Y'all Get'R Done"...

I mean.... come on!!!

Its total BS and if I was there, and heard people doing it.. i would boo them... i dont care if they are 4 years old or some 65 year old grandma...lol

I would boo them for being corporate sell out whores.... An American company making a chant for Canadians using Canadian stereotypes?,... its just insuting, stupid and just plain wrong

Damn those Japs! :rant:

:sarcasm:

To be fair I think it was a contest held where different chants were voted for. Unless a secret american operative was planted in a group of Canadians to inconspicuously mock Canadians, this cheer was developed by Canadians.

But like I said, I could care less about "selling out to the man". It's about how awkward the cheer is and this seeming need to generate a cheer that rivals "Aussie Aussie oy oy oy" or "U-S-A"... You're never going to do it by a group of people telling you what to cheer.

Anyway, enough, if we ignore the chant, it'll go away.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Write letters to your local newspapers. Especially the Star-Phoenix and the Vancouver Sun. We have to move this counter-campaign from the internet to print (maybe even a community paid newspaper ad is in order?) if we want Vancouver to be Pepsi-free.
We all know that this isn't just "my cheer is better than your cheer." The devaluing of the HHOF is on the line here.

And to tell you the truth, their entire campaign hinges on whether or not fans will carry the torch, so to speak, so the risk level is very high on their end.

I was contacted by the Star Phoenix about my Facebook group. Here's the article:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sport...cheers+given+vocal+support/2403402/story.html

tdoteli

Dec 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com
Food for thought: all these people (or sheep, as they've been called) that we're bashing will now be in the Hockey Hall of Fame, next to Wayne Gretzky et al.
Unless there's a way to prevent that from happening, but that's beyond me. Petition them, I guess.

Seguins Dragon*

Damn those Japs! :rant:

:sarcasm:

To be fair I think it was a contest held where different chants were voted for. Unless a secret american operative was planted in a group of Canadians to inconspicuously mock Canadians, this cheer was developed by Canadians.

But like I said, I could care less about "selling out to the man". It's about how awkward the cheer is and this seeming need to generate a cheer that rivals "Aussie Aussie oy oy oy" or "U-S-A"... You're never going to do it by a group of people telling you what to cheer.

Anyway, enough, if we ignore the chant, it'll go away.

Totally right...

In 5 years from now, no one will remember any of this, it will all be a bad dream... and much like when reflecting on the Macarena, there will be a collective "What were we thinking?" sigh heard all over Canada whenever someone brings it up.

I love how you have Japan as your country... they just seemed so unlikley, and I was thinking Canadian Tire, but I felt Nissan would be a nice and different touch... l thought about BMW for a second, but it quickly passed... you know... using Germans when talking about chants, patriosm and nationalism...

Last edited by a moderator:

DOOMGUY*

I love how you have Japan as your country... they just seemed so unlikley, and I was thinking Canadian Tire, but I felt Nissan would be a nice and different touch... l thought about BMW for a second, but it quickly passed... you know... using Germans when talking about chants, patriosm and nationalism...

Japan was kind of allied with Germany...

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I have a feeling a few heads will roll at the Pepsi marketing offices by the end of this fiasco. I personally love how half-assed and unenthusiastic it sounds when the crowd is clearly being prompted to chant this cheer of sadness.

I took a few marketing (and advertising) courses last semester and.. not likely, it happens ever so often that a good campign can turn sour. There's a reason it's called Chaos theory. I don't think anyone will loose their jobs over this.

Marketing =/= Advertising by the way.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I'm against the cheer as much as anyone, but I still signed up for "Cheer Nation". It will be kinda cool to go see my name at the Hall, and since they're nowhere near their target of 1,000,000 it will be easier to find too :yo:.

Mrbulldog30

Jan 4, 2010
ontario Canada
Eh O Canada Go NoNO

I can't see this chant that TSN is pushing actually catching on and being used during the olympics....can you?

I cant see it my self eather. "Go Canada Go Eh" would have even been better than that and I just thought of it as I was responing to your comment. I would finnish with Go Leafs Go But waist of time.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Well the Lets Go Canada Lets GO! and Go Canada Go! chants thus far have been outnumbering it by a lot. I've heard about 2 feeble attempts per game and keep invisioning a bunch of hot babes with pom poms and skimpy clothing leading the cheer. The only way it's going to accomplish anything.

btw - I've heard about 3 ads for it in the last 5 minutes on TSN.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Ugh, just saw the old ***** that came up with this on That's Hockey. Makes me want to smash everything in sight.

TransatlanticIce

Feb 11, 2008
Brighton
I'm not even Canadian, and I think this is one of the worst cheers in sports history, right up there with the jingoistic "U-S-A" chant that angry right-wingers love to yell here in the States. What really sickens me is that is was a fabrication by Pepsi, and in the end, this will be as much of an epic fail for them as Pepsi Blue.

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
I'm not even Canadian, and I think this is one of the worst cheers in sports history, right up there with the jingoistic "U-S-A" chant that angry right-wingers love to yell here in the States. What really sickens me is that is was a fabrication by Pepsi, and in the end, this will be as much of an epic fail for them as Pepsi Blue.

It had better be. It becoming an actual cheer would make Canada a laughingstock.

peicurler91

Mar 15, 2008
PEI
Blame Pepsi, not TSN.

Also, what the hell with putting random names in the HHOF?!

I dunno I would rather my name be in the HHOF for a legit reason, like breaking records or something like that, not for a contest

Stupid chant IMO, although it has worked well with the bad PEI Rocket trades lol "Eh, Oh Savard Must Go!!"

TheBlatt

Nov 4, 2007
Marlborough, MA
Don't blame Pepsi...blame the lack of creativity that allowed something like Eh! Oh! Canada Go! to win a slogan contest.

Personally, I'm not a fan of coerced cheering (volume meters, rally towels, etc). So I think the best thing would be to do exactly what is being done. Ignore it. Don't give it publicity by complaining about it...act like it never existed and was all just a really bad, really embarrassing dream.

Fantasy Billionaire

Feel The Heat
Jun 22, 2009
Calgary
navarres.helo.life
Don't blame Pepsi...blame the lack of creativity that allowed something like Eh! Oh! Canada Go! to win a slogan contest.

Personally, I'm not a fan of coerced cheering (volume meters, rally towels, etc). So I think the best thing would be to do exactly what is being done. Ignore it. Don't give it publicity by complaining about it...act like it never existed and was all just a really bad, really embarrassing dream.

It's not Pepsi's fault that people only sent in crappy cheers and Canadians voted for this.
Anyways I like mine better

GOLD CANADA GOLD !!!
GOLD CANADA GOLD !!!
GOLD CANADA GOLD !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad