WJC: "Eh oh Canada go"?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Eh, O, there goes Tiger Woods with a.......

Oops.....sorry, I have to go get myself with a coke !!

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I wouldn't be surprised to have the sound guys play a different tune should that cheer start up. A well placed "charge" or "go Canada go". I'll even take an "ole" if we have to. No way that Pepsi garbage makes it on the air.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Posted elsewhere:

Was at the game tonight.

Whenever you heard the "Eh, O'Canada Go" chant, it was started by the same guy. He goes around from section to section pumping fans up.

I don't know if you could hear it on TSN, but there were some "Go Canada Go" and "Let's Go Canada, *clap clap clap clap clap*" chants that arose spontaneously.

Pepsi even handed out foam hands with the Pepsi chant on it. There was also a between period contest where 6 fans had to see who could start the best "Eh, O'Canada Go" chant. Many of the fans booed (particularly at the first pair of guys.. the other two pairs didn't really get booed).

They were trying their best, that's for sure. I predict that it dies out a week into the olympics, and people chant other things out of spite.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I really want to believe that that's the case because that would confirm in my mind how quickly this thing will die.

That'll be uproariously funny, if Pepsi's trying to backpedal from this **** by March.

BTW, that might be part of the reason the marketing exec quoted earlier said something to the effect of "this chant is really just [Bob Smith, or whatever his name is]'s..."

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I just went to their website...they list about 50000 people as having signed up. The stated goal is a milli.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
My little facebook group against the chant has started to take off. It'd be funny if more people joined than those who signed up for "Cheer Nation".

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=217528662837

As if this wasn't stupid enough to begin with, they are actually using "Cheer Nation"? Good lord.

"_____ Nation" needs to die a horrible, violent death. This is permissible for exactly two teams: the Oakland Raiders, and the Boston Red Sox. Everyone else just sounds like a stupid trend-imitating poseur when they use it.

cenas*

As if this wasn't stupid enough to begin with, they are actually using "Cheer Nation"? Good lord.

"_____ Nation" needs to die a horrible, violent death. This is permissible for exactly two teams: the Oakland Raiders, and the Boston Red Sox. Everyone else just sounds like a stupid trend-imitating poseur when they use it.

What's wrong with colbert nation?

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
I really wish i was in saskatoon bring a sign saying eh oh pepsi sucks, if that guy starts the cheer i would do everything i could to prevent him :D

How about throwing coke bottles on the ice :sarcasm:

Elite09

Mar 9, 2004
I was at the last game and it was true about the guy going from section to section starting the chant and giving away free t-shirts. Pepsi also gave everyone free foam hands things with the chant right on it and there was a few booth in the concourse as well. Pepsi overload there. It was funny when the loudest chants were still "Go Canada Go!.

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
I believe this is Pepsi trying to market themselves during the Olympics, despite the fact Coke is the official Olympic sponsor.

My understanding is that Coke sponsors the Olympics and Pepsi has some type of sponsorship agreement with Hockey Canada. For that reason, Pepsi can associate themselves with Hockey Canada. Keep in mind however, that I believe this year they made it so that Team Canada (Olympics) isn't supposed to have an affiliation with Hockey Canada.

This allows Pepsi to create the illusion of being an Olympic sponsor (at least in Canada) and thereby getting the promotion and marketing benefits of advertising as an Olympic sponsor, without dolling out the huge dolar amounts required to be an official Olympic sponsor. Never mind Coke likely has an exclusivity agreement, as they are a worldwide sponsor.

Somewhat similar to when Nike would distribute "Just Do It! USA" signs at the Olympics. It's "badass" marketing at its best.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
the-fonz.jpg

"Eh oh, oh eh, nobody digs copyright infringement."

Not that it matter but "Eh oh, Oh Eh" was Tony from Who's the Boss.

tonydanza-tvweek.JPG

The Fonz just went "Ehhhhhhhhhhh" *thumbs up*

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
dunno if anyones posted this but we should chant eh oh luongo during the olympics just to mock pepsi

Zetsyuk

Farewell Nick.
Jul 19, 2008
Windsor, ON
It sounds like **** during the WJC games, stick with CA-NA-DA. Who does Pepsi think they are to be entitled to shoving a cheer down our throats?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad