WJC: "Eh oh Canada go"?

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Oh my god, they're actually singing this ****. In an 11-0 game against the Latvizzle wizzles, no less. I really hate the "shakehead" smiley, but this calls for about 3000 of them.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
I really want to hear a "Pepsi sucks" chant just for spite during the game tomorrow.... seriously Sasketchewan, make it happen!

The Gourmet

Potage Le Magnifique
Aug 30, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The thing that annoyed me the first time I saw commercials for this garbage was the two chants they used as examples of countries that have an established chant.

They had Australia's "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!" Which was ok since it was a unique thing for Australians and what not.

But then they used "U-S-A, U-S-A" as an example.

Why can the States have U-S-A but Canada can't have Ca-na-da and instead be stuck with this Pepsi garb.

Worst idea of all time. ALL TIME.

yasmike

pepsi people in the stands

Pepsi actually have people in the stands at the WJ games starting this cheer and giving away t-shirts with this chant on it. So we are hearing this chant throughout the game, but i don't think anybody but a pepsi rep is starting it.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I became a fan of TSN on Facebook the other day and sadly I've noticed people are actually saying "EH O CANADA GO" in the comments sections and whatnot, and apparently they're not being ironic.

So, yeah. Kinda sad. I guess there really are some people behind this thing.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I dislike the chant on a few different levels.

a) It's a stupid, pointless chant.

b) It's contrived - the best chants are those started in the stands, not a video scoreboard or a marketing person sitting in a boardroom hundreds or thousands of miles away who may or may not have ever seen a junior hockey game.

c) When was the last time Pepsi supported junior hockey in Canada?

d) It's a stupid, pointless chant.

I do think the Eh Oh part is hilarious though, if it carries over to the Olympics. Just what Canadians want - an arena full of people cheering for Ovechkin. Somebody missed the boat on this puppy.

Pepsi tried. It's unfortunate that TSN is supporting this crap.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
What I find sad in all this is that the "Go Canada Go!!" chant loses out as a consequence. You know that there are going to be a considerable amount of people who refuse to chant the new Pepsi chant ( I know I wouln't ) so only part of the crowd end up chanting/cheering the boys on. If they hadn't tried to shove this contrived chant down our throats, people would have instinctively chanted "Go Canada Go!!" and pretty much everyone would have participated.

Davebo*

I do think the Eh Oh part is hilarious though, if it carries over to the Olympics. Just what Canadians want - an arena full of people cheering for Ovechkin. Somebody missed the boat on this puppy.

Pepsi tried. It's unfortunate that TSN is supporting this crap.

Good point - a real hockey marketing person would have caught that.

Just go away, pepsi.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Eh! O! Lets Go!
Eh! O! Lets Go!
Eh! O! Lets Go!
Eh! O! Lets Go!

They're forming at the red line.
This win is gonna be fine.
The fans are losing their minds.
The Canadian Bop!

That's pretty good. But that's Queens representing. Everyone using that chant are queens representing (and they need to be sedated).

Cheers,

Dan-o

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Good point - a real hockey marketing person would have caught that.

Just go away, pepsi.

It wasn't created by a marketing department, it was one of three finalists in a contest open to everyone. Online voting selected the winner, not Pepsi. Still a stupid chant and idea though. It will definitely keep me from having a Pepsi in the near future. BTW, I doubt Coke, an official sponsor of the Olympics, will allow the Pepsi people to start this in the stands during the Olympics, so the Ovechkin thing is not an issue.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Pepsi actually have people in the stands at the WJ games starting this cheer and giving away t-shirts with this chant on it. So we are hearing this chant throughout the game, but i don't think anybody but a pepsi rep is starting it.

well....THROW HIS ASS ON THE ICE. and tell him his cheer SUCKS!!!!

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Lets go for coffee. Clap clap clap clap clap.

:laugh: :handclap: :laugh: :handclap: :laugh: :handclap: :laugh:

... and every Swede in the arena would join you in a heartbeat.

"Vi tar en fika!" (Swedes are big on having a cup of coffee with one another at all poossible and impossible times!)

cjbhab*

pepsi hired a few "professional fans" to act rowdy and start chants in the section.. they act as normal fans.. but they get all stupid trying to promote the chant and its worked... the chant has been chanted throughout the canada games.. i personally wont participate.

damaaster

Dec 29, 2009
WINNIPEG
Embarrasing ourselves

This chant is the most ridiculous thing in hockey...

I can't believe some people are actually chanting this at games, and I pray that by the end of the WJC tourny, there is a Pepsi sucks chant, so that once the Olympics roll around - we can get back to Go Canada Go or Lets go Canada...Lets go *clap clap*....

Sideline

May 23, 2004
pepsi hired a few "professional fans" to act rowdy and start chants in the section.. they act as normal fans.. but they get all stupid trying to promote the chant and its worked... the chant has been chanted throughout the canada games.. i personally wont participate.

Anyone have a Pepsi e-mail we can fill with complaints? If these clowns know this nonsense is going to cost them business they might well shut up.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
How about you have one half of the arena chant "CANADA" and the other half chants "**** YEAH!!!". :sarcasm:

That would be a lot better than this piece of cheese.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
As others have said, seems like Pepsi has hired some "boosters" to start the cheer during the games:

http://www.canada.com/news/Give+cheer/2385603/story.html

The guy in the picture is actually a fairly well known "super-fan." I believe that i have seen him previously on TSN's OTR, being billed as a super-fan.

A quote from the article is really rich:

"We've been partners with Hockey Canada for 10 years, and we look to build on that partnership," Hooper [vice-president of marketing for Pepsi] said. "This is not a marketing ploy as much as a chance for (Buma; the creator of the chant) to share this with Canadians."

Sure, we believe that Mr. Hooper. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad