Confirmed with Link: Eetu Laurikainen signed to ELC

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
He has been good in every start for us with the garbage defending we have had. He is on a tear in the ahl playoffs too. He is a good goalie has could start 30-35 games a year. He is better then Scrivens as he has fight in him, which Scrivens doesn't.

Bachman has had an excellent playoff, but I'd say 30-35 games is giving him way too much credit. He's probably a slightly below average goalie at the NHL level, as shown in his biggest NHL stint as the backup in Dallas.

He's been fairly good in very limited stretches up with Edmonton, but saying he's better than Scrivens is a tad of a stretch. Scrivens looked horrible under Nelson but he's proved he has "fight" plenty of times, such as against San Jose in the performance of a lifetime, or anytime he wins with the D we put in front of him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There's a reason why he's not a fulltime NHLer.
OK. I'll bite. What's the reason?
The only knock I can see on him is that he's kinda small for today's game.
Beyond that I think he has earned a shot at the backup job. Have you looked at the numbers he's put up lately?
I'd honestly rather have him as backup than Scrivens.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It's difficult to judge any goalie that has had to play in Edmonton under the Mact/Eakins blackhole.

Mact has always run gongshow with goalies, going back to the Conklin/Markenin/Morrison debacle, which, one could say, ended up cost him/us the Stanely Cup. Because of his three ring circus, he didn't have a backup ready for primetime, thus, costing us game 1 of... well, we all know what happened.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's difficult to judge any goalie that has had to play in Edmonton under the Mact/Eakins blackhole.

Mact has always run gongshow with goalies, going back to the Conklin/Markenin/Morrison debacle, which, one could say, ended up cost him/us the Stanely Cup. Because of his three ring circus, he didn't have a backup ready for primetime, thus, costing us game 1 of... well, we all know what happened.

Not that difficult, Scrivens and Fasth weren't good enough, Dubnyk wasn't until he was nearly finished in hockey and finally pulled up his socks.

You clearly don't remember Conklin/Markainen/Morrison very well. They were all sub-par goalies who the MAIN reason why the Oilers were 8th instead of 4-6 in the conference.

As for alternating the back-up, it's because neither were a good option. What cost the Oilers that Cup was Cam Ward playing great, The Ty Conklin Factor and Ty Conklin forgetting he's a ****ing back-up goalie and trying to be a hero handling the puck.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
With the signing of Laurikainen, do oilers fans consider Brossoit or Eetu to be their goalie of the future? I know its tough with goalie prospects but I know that many of you guys were extremely high on Brossoit even before his impressive game and his first year stats have me convinced he'll be a good starter in the future.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
With the signing of Laurikainen, do oilers fans consider Brossoit or Eetu to be their goalie of the future? I know its tough with goalie prospects but I know that many of you guys were extremely high on Brossoit even before his impressive game and his first year stats have me convinced he'll be a good starter in the future.

Yeah pretty much unless we draft or trade for more this offseason. Brossoit has steadily progressed and Eetu apparently was the next best thing after O'Connor. Laurikainen is described to have incredible "poise" under pressure. I'm actually putting my hopes on Laurikainen to become our future Number 1, just more a gut feeling then actual knowledge of the player. I just hope my first impression is right.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I wont speak for my fellow Oiler fans. But for me I don't view either as sure bets to eventually take over as the goalie here. It would be a great advantage if one of them did turn out, but goalies are just so hard to predict that I don't really want to invest too much hope that one of them will.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I still have Brossoit as our top prospect, but I'm with Spawn. You just never know with goalies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah pretty much unless we draft or trade for more this offseason. Brossoit has steadily progressed and Eetu apparently was the next best thing after O'Connor. Laurikainen is described to have incredible "poise" under pressure. I'm actually putting my hopes on Laurikainen to become our future Number 1, just more a gut feeling then actual knowledge of the player. I just hope my first impression is right.

if everything were to go right they would both become #1 caliber goalies and we can deal one for assets that we need in the future. its what a team with a strong core and depth is able to do..........hence why we havent seen it here since....ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad