Confirmed with Link: Eetu Laurikainen signed to ELC

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
1-03469548.jpg

22654040.jpg

Article:

Is Eetu Laurikainen’s Contract a Sign For Brossoit?
https://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects-2/is-eetu-laurikainens-contract-a-sign-for-brossoit/

nhl.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8478557&docid=TeamPlayerBio:48314#&navid=nhl-search

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Seems like a promising player. Great hockey name! That article makes it sound like the Oilers are planning to have Brossoit make some starts in Edmonton next season. It seems almost certain that Fasth won't be back, but unless Scrivens gets traded I think most fans were hoping to see him as the backup to a better class of netminder next season. With this signing the Oilers will have Laurikainen, Brossoit, Bachman and Scrivens. Wonder who ends up where. Should be interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the info. And for linking that particular magazine. I'd never seen that site before and it looks pretty decent (if one can ignore all the grammatical errors). Added to my favorites. Cheers. And don't worry about jts, he's just upset that you posted the thread before he could.

So I was browsing through the site a bit and on the topic of goaltending, I noticed this paragraph from an article on the Generals/Otters series.

"The Generals’ defense has been a problem for the Otters, but their biggest obstacle – especially in Game 2 – has been goaltender Ken Appleby. Undrafted two years in a row, the 20-year old goalie is fighting for his chance to finally be selected by an NHL team in his final year of draft eligibility – and he’s doing a great job of that this season. The big-bodied goalie (6’4,” 209 lbs.) put up a .924 SV% in the regular season and was a finalist for the OHL Goaltender of the Year Award. He also has a .926 SV% in the playoffs so far and has been a big reason why the Generals have only lost four postseason games so far."

Those are some pretty fine numbers, and he's big too. Anybody who watches a lot of junior hockey with some insight into why this kid has been passed over twice in the draft? I mean he's a finalist for goalie of the year ... surely someone takes him this year, right? Is this a player the Oilers would have interest in?

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
I watched him this season a couple of times when he was playing against my team in FEL. I was surprised that a goalie coming from junior league played so great against men in one of the best leagues in Europe. That's not an easy task for any goalie and especially not for a such young goalie. He's used to playing in NA rink so there won't be any adjusting problems for him next season.

There is a reason to be hopeful about him since he's progressed so well and also you know what they say about Finland and goaltenders :)

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
His nickname has to be Eetu, Brute. :sarcasm:

I said earlier that I'd take Laurikainen over O'Connor and I'm very happy that we got him. :)

Btw I asked a fan of Espoon Blues about his playoff stats and he said that the stats are misleading. Apparently Laurikainen was their best player in the playoffs and the fact JYP scored 8 PP goals in 4 games makes his stats look bad. Most of the goals were one-timers from the slot, too.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Seems like a promising player. Great hockey name! That article makes it sound like the Oilers are planning to have Brossoit make some starts in Edmonton next season. It seems almost certain that Fasth won't be back, but unless Scrivens gets traded I think most fans were hoping to see him as the backup to a better class of netminder next season. With this signing the Oilers will have Laurikainen, Brossoit, Bachman and Scrivens. Wonder who ends up where. Should be interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the info. And for linking that particular magazine. I'd never seen that site before and it looks pretty decent (if one can ignore all the grammatical errors). Added to my favorites. Cheers. And don't worry about jts, he's just upset that you posted the thread before he could.

So I was browsing through the site a bit and on the topic of goaltending, I noticed this paragraph from an article on the Generals/Otters series.

"The Generals’ defense has been a problem for the Otters, but their biggest obstacle – especially in Game 2 – has been goaltender Ken Appleby. Undrafted two years in a row, the 20-year old goalie is fighting for his chance to finally be selected by an NHL team in his final year of draft eligibility – and he’s doing a great job of that this season. The big-bodied goalie (6’4,†209 lbs.) put up a .924 SV% in the regular season and was a finalist for the OHL Goaltender of the Year Award. He also has a .926 SV% in the playoffs so far and has been a big reason why the Generals have only lost four postseason games so far."

Those are some pretty fine numbers, and he's big too. Anybody who watches a lot of junior hockey with some insight into why this kid has been passed over twice in the draft? I mean he's a finalist for goalie of the year ... surely someone takes him this year, right? Is this a player the Oilers would have interest in?

Your question about Appleby got me thinking. I do watch a fair bit of OHL hockey but for some strange reason I never watch Oshawa. So I can honestly say that I even remember seeing him play. The Rangers only play Oshawa twice a year and when I watch the East it is typically Kingston, Ottawa or a team with a prospect I want to watch.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No offense, but the writer knows nothing about the Oilers current goaltending plans. Know one does. Brossoit isn't even the guy in the AHL right now, so it seems like quite a stretch that they plan to play him more last year. This writer seems to do what a lot of fans on this board do and get to excited over limited NHL action, in Brossoit's case 1 game. Maybe if MacT was still on board he'd be trying to get Brossoit in more, but PC has no ties to Brossoit and should be worried about getting wins.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
No offense, but the writer knows nothing about the Oilers current goaltending plans. Know one does. Brossoit isn't even the guy in the AHL right now, so it seems like quite a stretch that they plan to play him more last year. This writer seems to do what a lot of fans on this board do and get to excited over limited NHL action, in Brossoit's case 1 game. Maybe if MacT was still on board he'd be trying to get Brossoit in more, but PC has no ties to Brossoit and should be worried about getting wins.

Brossoit will be the guy in Bakersfield next year, doesn't look like Oil will re-sign Bachman if they expect Brossoit/Laurikainen in the AHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
^good signing! i was actually mildly surprised that Eetu was never drafted.

Yeah this is my thought as well. From all accounts he was one of the best goalies in the WHL when he was available. Nice signing from the Oilers, I wonder if they do bring him to NA, or let him play another season or two in Europe?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
His nickname has to be Eetu, Brute. :sarcasm:

I said earlier that I'd take Laurikainen over O'Connor and I'm very happy that we got him. :)

Btw I asked a fan of Espoon Blues about his playoff stats and he said that the stats are misleading. Apparently Laurikainen was their best player in the playoffs and the fact JYP scored 8 PP goals in 4 games makes his stats look bad. Most of the goals were one-timers from the slot, too.

Sounds like the team he was facing was much better then his own.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
i don't think so with Hoivanen, but i also heard that likely Bunz and Rimmer were gone. Edmonton really does seem to be a goalie graveyard, doesn't it? :(

(hopefully this changes with PC in charge!!).

I wouldn't say graveyard. Bunz, Tuohimaa and Rimmer just weren't good imho, neither are Bouchard or Nagelvoort. Debatable if Olivier Roy was.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wouldn't say graveyard. Bunz, Tuohimaa and Rimmer just weren't good imho, neither are Bouchard or Nagelvoort. Debatable if Olivier Roy was.

Nagelvoort seems to be doing fine, Bouchard is debatable, but it's FAR too early to cast judgement just because we don't like them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nagelvoort seems to be doing fine, Bouchard is debatable, but it's FAR too early to cast judgement just because we don't like them.

I thought Nagelvoort was the one that had a very poor year? Granted it's only one year, it's not really a good thing for a guy who was drafted as an overager.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada

Maybe on Nagelvoort but Bouchard's stats are just horrendous. People already write off Fucale and he has better stats than Kevan's. (They're still bad despite being on good teams)

Fucale: 41GP, 3.20GA, .885sv%
Bouchard: 36GP, 3.85GA, .872sv%

Bouchard also seemingly was the backup in Val D'or. He got beat out by a rookie.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I kinda like this signing better than an O'Connor. We have that extra option of sending him back to Europe if we somehow run out of room between now and the end of the summer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe on Nagelvoort but Bouchard's stats are just horrendous. People already write off Fucale and he has better stats than Kevan's. (They're still bad despite being on good teams)

Fucale: 41GP, 3.20GA, .885sv%
Bouchard: 36GP, 3.85GA, .872sv%

Bouchard also seemingly was the backup in Val D'or. He got beat out by a rookie.

A lot can happen. Again, I don't think he's looking great, still too early to write him off. Also, he's a 7th round pick, so the expectations from that alone are pretty low.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
A lot can happen. Again, I don't think he's looking great, still too early to write him off. Also, he's a 7th round pick, so the expectations from that alone are pretty low.

He's not even looking mediocre. Of the 22 goalies the QMJHL track stats for, he's dead last. He's not even worth following for me personally, 7th that won't be signed. It will be nice to see EDM draft Samsonov this year, pretty please Chia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad